PDA

View Full Version : Fly Fishing Freshwater in Western Australia

tam474
01-09-2012, 02:59 PM
Hi There,

I am going to Auz in March and was wondering if anyone knows if there is freshwater fishing along the west coast. If anyone has an experience i would greatly appreciate any advice.

Thanks

slingshotz
01-10-2012, 12:19 AM
I spent 6 months fishing all over Australia and was in Western Australia for a month. I can tell you that it is mostly desert except for the lower southern part and very few sources of freshwater fishing exist. They go through a wet/dry seasons so it's either desert or big floodwaters.

However, if you have the gear, salt water fly fishing can be a good experience as the beaches there are amazing. I did a lot of surf casting while I was there and there's a lot of species of fish. There are lots of shore based places to fish from rocks and you never know what you will get

The northern part of WA do have barramundi which are one of the best fighting and tastiest fish around. However, wading is very discouraged due to the number of crocs and sharks. :shark:

Here's a brief link on some of the fishing opportunities there. http://www.spooled.com.au/Article:1427

tam474
01-10-2012, 02:13 PM
GOLDEN COAST
between cairns and sydney

fish gunner
01-10-2012, 07:13 PM
if you goggle fishing western australia there is a tv show on the area not sure if they fish fresh water but it will put you no the right track as what to expect .