PDA

View Full Version : Camera panner

Kim473
01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Which of two, Marcum or Aqua-vu do you think is the best and WHY? I'm going away from my home made cam holder to a remote panner and want the best. Starting to upgrade, next year or at season end it will be a new cam, depends on sales.

Willowtrail
01-10-2012, 06:05 PM
I have only used the Marcum so I can't compare to the Aqua-vu.

I do like that the remote is corded so I don't loose it or leave it on my lap, stand up and sploosh.

I can't really see my camera from too far away when I need to pan. Plus, I'm a Marcum guy.

curtis_rak
01-10-2012, 07:11 PM
I cannot compare the two either, but I just bought the Marcum panner for my Fish TV a couple weeks ago and I cannot believe I never had one before.

The Marcum works very well. Worth the $50.

maclennanchris
01-10-2012, 07:21 PM
I can not compare the two as I only have the marcum camera. The camera is great so far, but the panner is what it is. If it last me a season for 50 bucks, I will consider that good. All plastic parts and -20 (when that happens around here) dont go to well together. The panner works great so far, but im just not sure how sturdy the construction is. Time will tell I guess.

horsetrader
01-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Ive got 2 marcums and just sold a aqua-vu I ran panners on all 3 and it was always marcum panners heard there was issues with the aqua-vu panners not having the power to turn when they get a little ice on them but never used one my self.

slingshotz
01-11-2012, 01:39 AM
I've used my Marcum in very cold conditions and it's been awesome. On really cold days the hole will eventually freeze the cord solid but every system will have issues with that. I haven't had any issues with the plastic getting brittle and it's been used many times in -20C.

The batteries last a surprising long time in the cold so the motor must not draw a lot of power.

huntsfurfish
01-11-2012, 06:26 AM
I have all 3. Mo Pod 2 and Mo Pod 3 (aqua vu). And the Marcum. While I prefer Marcum cameras, I prefer either of the Aqua vu "panners" to the marcum.

Mo pod 2 runs off 12 volt battery and seems a little faster turning than the 3.
It has a remote and 12 volt wire.

Mo Pod 3 runs off of 2 AA batteries but is fully wireless(I like). Not sure how the batteries will last in the cold though. Range of the remote is about
12-14 feet

Marcum panner is OK but why the wired control? That was an Ooops. It limits the distance away from you.

I wear the remotes around my neck on lanyards(marked so I know for which camera). Easy to find and out of the way

Kim473
01-11-2012, 05:44 PM
I like the idea of the mopod 3 being wireless but it seems very bulky. I'm sure the AA batteries would be fine, as you only power it say 50 times in a day and at 10 seconds per time that is not much of a draw on the batteries. With the bulkyness of it tho, it would not seem to be good to have inside a tent and if you wanted to pull the cam cause there are whites in the area you would have to go outside the tent to pull it. I'm thinking the marcum would be better as I could have that inside the tent and when you see some whites you could pull the cam and point it down in a hurry with not much effort. The marcum seems to fold up nicely too so that it does not take up too much room in transport. Does seem to be a oops with a wired remote tho. I'm leaning towards the marcum now. Watch, just my luck, next fall they will have a wireless remote in the same set up. LOL.

Question? Heard that there is no place in canada that will service marcum cams, Is this true???? Thinking that will be my purchase when the sales come at end of season. Color, top of the line. Anyone have one? If so how is it?

huntsfurfish
01-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I like the idea of the mopod 3 being wireless but it seems very bulky. I'm sure the AA batteries would be fine, as you only power it say 50 times in a day and at 10 seconds per time that is not much of a draw on the batteries. With the bulkyness of it tho, it would not seem to be good to have inside a tent and if you wanted to pull the cam cause there are whites in the area you would have to go outside the tent to pull it. I'm thinking the marcum would be better as I could have that inside the tent and when you see some whites you could pull the cam and point it down in a hurry with not much effort. The marcum seems to fold up nicely too so that it does not take up too much room in transport. Does seem to be a oops with a wired remote tho. I'm leaning towards the marcum now. Watch, just my luck, next fall they will have a wireless remote in the same set up. LOL.

Question? Heard that there is no place in canada that will service marcum cams, Is this true???? Thinking that will be my purchase when the sales come at end of season. Color, top of the line. Anyone have one? If so how is it?

For the fishing I do I run my cameras outside the tent and have one down looking camera in the tent(I dont have to worry about pulling them). I have 2 marcum panners and dont use them to often. It would be nice if they corected the oops. Another point in favour or the marcum is they are less expensive as well.

Correct you have to send it to them(you pay to send-they pay to ship back-that was just after warrenty went and they covered it still). If you are not in a real hurry have them send back USPS not UPS - UPS will hit you with an additional $30.00 charge. But they were fairly quick getting it back.

I have 2 of the new vs825sd's and love em-awesome cameras. also have a black and white 820 also nice. Color is better.

Jiffy10
01-12-2012, 07:30 AM
I use a Mopod and really like it. I have a 2 man hut so I drill about
12 feet away so I can see both hooks. 12 feet on the other side
we set up 2 tip ups so we can now see all 4 set ups.

I use a real small Motorcycle battery in a plastic case to power it
and I've never been dissapointed with its performance.

I like the remote key FOB style and maybe someday I'll drop it
in the drink but..... cant be scared of using it !!!
the less wires ... the bettter.

" anyone still have a TV remote with a cable on it ????? "

what were they thinking ........ jeeessh

Kim473
01-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Well, I went out today and bought one. The Mopod. Walked into WSS. set on getting the marcum and then the idea of the wirerless sold me. From looking at pics they looked big and aukward but was surprized how small it really was. The nice thing is, now my fishing buddy can't just reach over and turn the cam to his hook.

huntsfurfish
01-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I think you will like it, I think you made the right choice. Good luck and good fishin.

mayuan
01-14-2012, 10:12 PM
I picked up the Aqua Vu av760cz and had to return it twice due to the units being defective. The last return I didn't get another one due to the crap built quality. I would stay away from the Aqua Vu cameras when you are looking at the sales.

Kim473
01-15-2012, 06:31 AM
I picked up the Aqua Vu av760cz and had to return it twice due to the units being defective. The last return I didn't get another one due to the crap built quality. I would stay away from the Aqua Vu cameras when you are looking at the sales.

I am thinking of the T.O.T.L. Marcum when those sales come.