PDA

View Full Version : Question about wonder bread

leeaspell
01-10-2012, 10:11 PM
Was at the girlfriend house tonight and she was in a cleaning frenzy, pulling out stove and fridge and cleaning behind. When she pulled out the fridge there has a wonder bread bag behind it, she keeps bread on top of fridge. I picked it up and date was, October 2010. I opened it just to see how nasty and green it was, and to my surprise, there was no mold, smelled fresh and it was still soft. How the heck is this possible???? And on the bag it says "No artificial preserevatives"

fordtruckin
01-10-2012, 10:20 PM
Why else do you think they call it Wonder bread?

vcmm
01-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Left a loaf in the trailer one year.Still looked good in the spring!

BGSH
01-10-2012, 10:24 PM
Was at the girlfriend house tonight and she was in a cleaning frenzy, pulling out stove and fridge and cleaning behind. When she pulled out the fridge there has a wonder bread bag behind it, she keeps bread on top of fridge. I picked it up and date was, October 2010. I opened it just to see how nasty and green it was, and to my surprise, there was no mold, smelled fresh and it was still soft. How the heck is this possible???? And on the bag it says "No artificial preserevatives"

How did it taste :sick:

WCTHEMI
01-10-2012, 10:28 PM
And that is why I would never eat that bread. Something is not right about that.

vcmm
01-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Right up there with un-refridgerated meat.

BBT
01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
It might end up being a collector item so keep it.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-twinkie-wonder-bread-maker-hostess-nearing-ch-11-bankruptcy-20120110,0,1349465.story

NoKlu
01-10-2012, 11:14 PM
It's a Wonder they call it Bread.

althetrainer
01-11-2012, 12:30 AM
It's not unusual to see fresh bread in old bags in my house. I recycle bread bags and use them to store my homemade loaves. The date could be two years ago but the bread might be just two days old.

If your friend didn't bake the loaf of bread... run for your life! :scared0018:

Lonnie
01-11-2012, 01:28 AM
humitity and moisture and temp all play a part so if sealed with on air and bag was kept, cool so that it did not sweat, it will keep a long time. bread here I'm sure has mold spores before it leaves the bakery as it seems to be moldy 2 days after purchuse.

nanuk-O-dah-Nort
01-11-2012, 02:50 AM
no ARTIFICIAL preservatives....

but 8oz of NATURAL preservatives, in a 16oz loaf, and you could argue that unless it was a product from outer space, anything made from/on earth is Natural

the bread by McGavin's made for "The Bay" will do the same....

you don't even need to have the bag well sealed.

CeeZee
01-11-2012, 07:16 AM
I am really picky with bread and our household is hooked on the in-house sobey's bread, cheap and so fresh and moist even after it has been in the freezer! its almost half price of wonder bread and other brand names.

leeaspell
01-11-2012, 07:23 AM
I'm gonna do an experiment and keep it to see how old it will get before it gets moldy

tara_13
01-11-2012, 07:51 AM
eewww ?

ccmckee
01-11-2012, 09:39 AM
I listen to Doctor radio quite a bit on sirius, and wonder bread has got to be the most mentioned do not eat item you hear. They never really explain why and one of these days i will call in and ask them. It is usaully right off the top of their list too.

BGSH
01-11-2012, 09:40 AM
I'm gonna do an experiment and keep it to see how old it will get before it gets moldy

Take pictures :)

FishingFrenzy
01-11-2012, 09:55 AM
Just like McDonalds fries!!!! When I was young I sometimes lost a few in my carseat and a couple weeks later when I found emm, they still tasted great!

antlercarver
01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
They do not use artificial preservatives they use REAL ones.

Whiskey Wish
01-11-2012, 10:18 AM
These are some lessons I have learned over my lifetime. Your wonder bread thread made me remember them.
Regards,
Dave.

Things That I Have Learned
DRSR.

There are some lessons that a man learns as he ages as well as some things that he comes to understand are truisms in life. These are some that I have learned.

1. Farm driveways are supposed to have potholes in them. They let you know you are back on the farm and not just on some acreage near the city.

2. The floors in a house SHOULD squeak. They bring back the fondest of memories.

3. If you want to wake up men in the morning just cook bacon and coffee.

4. It was a much greater moment being with my son when he shot his first deer than when I did it myself.

5. Bar fights need to leave some marks and just a little blood. They make for better stories and fewer bar fights.

6. A daughter can be 6, 16 or 26 and still have you wrapped around their little finger with a look, a smile or a tear.

7. No one really gives a damn if a man cries at a funeral, wedding, births or graduations. Women think it’s great, other men just hope they can hide it when it happens to them and no one remembers a week later.

8. Ten “brownie points” are wiped out by one missed anniversary.

9. It doesn’t matter how old they were, how good or bad they were, or how near or far, it still hurts when your parents pass away.

10. A farm truck NEEDS to be a 1962 Fargo with step sides, a massive grill in front of a flathead 8, rust holes in the floor boards, a stick shift on the floor, holes worn in the seat and a dirty cracked windshield. A 2005 Dodge 1 ton diesel with leather seats and a CD player is entirely forgettable.

11. Never boss another man’s dog.

12. Never give another man reason to boss your dog.

13. Few things in life are as pleasurable as working with a good dog or a good horse.

14. Governments and Big Business will NEVER understand the Family Farm.

15. A lot of rural folks don’t have five minute response times from emergency services, a paved road, a 7-11 on the corner, same day service from a snowplough or a mail box within walking distance. Funny thing is they don’t really want them either.

16. You will never know REAL fear until you are a parent.

17. The day you stop learning is the day you start dying.

18. Patience is like muscles. They both need to be exercised to work properly.

19. That rockin’ chair on the porch starts to look strangely attractive after the age of 50.

20. There are 360 degrees in any given direction at any given time but the back spray from a pressure washer will ALWAYS be directly at YOU.

21. Battle of the Sexes ?? No such thing. Never was, never will be. For any mere mortal male to think he was even in combat, let alone a battle, with a species that is capable of raising children, keeping a home, cleaning up after him, having a career and STILL being able to look beautiful dancing backwards in high heels after a couple of drinks at your annual Christmas party, well that male is just sadly delusional.

22. Milk is supposed to go sour after three days. Bread is supposed to grow mould after three days. There is something wrong with milk and bread that lasts longer than a week.

23. Swing the bat! When you try and fail you have two choices how to remember it. Choose tried.

24. Make sure the tornado twine on your hat is weaker than your neck.

Sushi
01-11-2012, 11:01 AM
interesting sidenote...the parent company Hostess that owns wonderbread is filing for bankruptcy...that stuff isn't fit to eat anyway.

600twin
01-11-2012, 12:44 PM
I have seen loafs of Wonder bread appear as fresh as the day bought after 2 or 3 months, makes you wonder what is in it.

Sushi
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
And the answer is: Cultured Wheat Flour: All Natural Mold Inhibitor is manufactured using a specialized process that re-inoculates the wheat flour base. Fermentation occurs, producing a concentrated series of food-grade organic acids that inhibit mold in baked goods.

http://www.americancasein.com/pdfs/MOLD%20OUT%20SPEC.pdf

I would have guessed irradiation and increased salt content but I would have been wrong....googling stuff on food science must make me a nerd...

NoKlu
01-11-2012, 09:32 PM
My Uncle worked in McGavins for 35 years and they never ate the Bread.

Kim473
01-12-2012, 05:11 AM

Put it on Ebay. A collector item.

CeeZee
01-12-2012, 07:00 AM
And the answer is: Cultured Wheat Flour: All Natural Mold Inhibitor is manufactured using a specialized process that re-inoculates the wheat flour base. Fermentation occurs, producing a concentrated series of food-grade organic acids that inhibit mold in baked goods.

http://www.americancasein.com/pdfs/MOLD%20OUT%20SPEC.pdf

I would have guessed irradiation and increased salt content but I would have been wrong....googling stuff on food science must make me a nerd...
Casein and whey powder are in everything! They add calcium to the nutritional value and are also preservatives, In EVERYTHING!! Our son is alergic to dairy protein and those two things are on the list and in everything, we do alot of ingredient reading with his many alergies and it is surprising what that stuff is in. Not many processed good it is not in, but a blessing for us as we cannot have alot of that crap in our house! :)

schimmel
01-12-2012, 08:56 AM
I don't think I could eat that stuff if I tried. Dad, Grampa & my uncles were all bakers. Even I baked for 3 years for Dad. After eating fresh bread your entire life you can't even stand the smell of wonder bread. I remember when I was young dad use to make me smell the Wonder Magavins crap bread so I new not to eat that garbage. I still remember what it smelled like. Sour vinegar.

I don't make my kids smell the bread but they do know what good bread feels like & tastes like. I know the fresh stuff doesn't last more than a couple of days but if you freeze bread when it's fresh and don't bang it around when it's frozen it will just as fresh when thawed. Just make sure you wipe the condensation out of the bag or you will get soggy spots on your bread.

JimPS
01-12-2012, 09:08 AM
There's cellulose -that is wood pulp in Wonder bread and a lot of other processed foods.

Profit is the food industry's main focus. Up to 30% savings are realized by using cellulose over other ingredients. After all, food ingredients are rising in cost. And usually cellulose adds to the shelf life.

Learn more:

http://www.naturalnews.com/033767_cellulose_food.html

Humans should not be eating this crap and supporting companies that make this sh*t..

Jim