PDA

View Full Version : Cold Lake Lakers!

Walleye101
01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
It shouldn't be too long now with the cold weather up there!! Does anybody have any reports yet?

Jamie Black R/T
01-11-2012, 11:25 AM
someone posted a picture a few weeks ago and the entire lake was ice free by the looks of it....if so id bet its gonna take a while

Stewie
01-11-2012, 11:27 AM
Bring a boat

Dark Horn
01-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Ice fishing this past weekend and hammering them. About 4" of ice in that spot

Mike_W
01-11-2012, 01:04 PM

Yikes 4" is pushing it for this cowboy....especially with the ice fluctuating drastically on all lakes so far.

LCCFisherman
01-11-2012, 02:19 PM
Theres something about fishing in 100ft+ of water that you want more then 4 inches of ice... :thinking-006:

Hunter Trav
01-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Yeah, I'd like to have at least 5 myself...:D

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 03:40 PM

you must have been at French Bay. No ice on the main lake, but it looks like it's starting to make ice now. With -16 to -22 for next few days it's probably another 5-7 days before you'll get out on the main lake

hornet004
01-11-2012, 04:07 PM
You go out in 5-7 days and let me know how it goes. more like 5-7 weeks windy = no ice

Stewie
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Its going to take a lot more than a few days of cold weather to make Cold Lake freeze over... trucks go through that lake every year even with cold temps... I will be staying away from that lake this winter

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 04:14 PM
You go out in 5-7 days and let me know how it goes. more like 5-7 weeks windy = no ice

where are you?

I am looking at the south end of the lake right now from my living room window and ice is forming! And NO wind. Are you in Cold Lake now or are you thinking of what it was like a few days back.

ivegonefishing
01-11-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm going to need a lot more than 4" before I venture onto any lake. Unless we get some severe cold for a few weeks Cold Lake will be out of the question for this year. I like trout, but perhaps that fishery could use the 'natural' break this winter from fishermen.

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
where are you?

I am looking at the south end of the lake right now from my living room window and ice is forming! And NO wind. Are you in Cold Lake now or are you thinking of what it was like a few days back.

If you don't believe how quick the lake can freeze, check out this video.................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B5jDKz7J7A
Last year, at the Provincial park Dec 10th. no ice, 3 days later, December 13th completely frozen over and I was on the lake on ice Dec 16th. From none to 6-8 inches of ice in 7 days. True, you won't get a truck out there in 7 days, but for those of us who walk and pull gear on a sled, 6-8 inches of ice will work

Levy
01-11-2012, 04:47 PM

Agreed! anyone heading out on the main lake within a week of freeze up must really want to win a Darwin award.

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Agreed! anyone heading out on the main lake within a week of freeze up must really want to win a Darwin award.

check out 35 whelen posted last winter, Dec 20th, 7 days after freeze-up. I see his ice thickness readings were same as mine. But, as he says, you need to walk. True, you won't be out in truck

finner-duramax
01-11-2012, 05:05 PM
i just got home from the weapons range today.
i didnt see the lake but the temperature was -26 and -37 with the wind chill.
its suppose to be cold for a while.

hopefully it freezes and this cold temperature stays until april

Dark Horn
01-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Boss was just saying today that his buds were jumping over a crack in the ice to get out farther. When the temp warmed up the crack became 6ft wide so they couldn't jump it to get out there.

SNAPFisher
01-11-2012, 06:14 PM
Boss was just saying today that his buds were jumping over a crack in the ice to get out farther. When the temp warmed up the crack became 6ft wide so they couldn't jump it to get out there.

Keep risking it for fish people, Darwin's theory will be proven.

Daceminnow
01-11-2012, 06:55 PM
If you don't believe how quick the lake can freeze, check out this video.................http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B5jDKz7J7A
Last year, at the Provincial park Dec 10th. no ice, 3 days later, December 13th completely frozen over and I was on the lake on ice Dec 16th. From none to 6-8 inches of ice in 7 days. True, you won't get a truck out there in 7 days, but for those of us who walk and pull gear on a sled, 6-8 inches of ice will work

very cool video gilbert. you're a pretty fortunate guy to be able to watch the effects the different seasons have on the lake. interesting stuff. thanks for sharing.

Dace

cockeyed
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
French bay is frozen but only if you want to walk on it. Main lake has some ice forming around the shorelines but tonight coming home from work I saw beautiful waves not even thinking about freezing up. We don't have the weather yet to freeze this big lake. 5-7 days.............not gonna happen. I'll keep everyone posted when there is six inches on the lake.
And I agree Cold Lake could use a break, fishing pressure is heavy. I don't imagine the lake will be safe until..........maybe end of Jan. This weekend is suppose warm back up again. We need -20 for a couple of weeks to make it safe.

SNAPFisher
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
French bay is frozen but only if you want to walk on it. Main lake has some ice forming around the shorelines but tonight coming home from work I saw beautiful waves not even thinking about freezing up. We don't have the weather yet to freeze this big lake. 5-7 days.............not gonna happen. I'll keep everyone posted when there is six inches on the lake.
And I agree Cold Lake could use a break, fishing pressure is heavy. I don't imagine the lake will be safe until..........maybe end of Jan. This weekend is suppose warm back up again. We need -20 for a couple of weeks to make it safe.

Thanks for the updates! Keep em coming!

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 07:59 PM
very cool video gilbert. you're a pretty fortunate guy to be able to watch the effects the different seasons have on the lake. interesting stuff. thanks for sharing.

Dace

sorry, not my video. I saw them shooting it last winter though. Serves as a good point of reference as to way the lake freezes over. From the 10th ...no ice.until frozen on the 13th was only 3 days. As I said I was on it on the 16th and found 6-8 inches of ice

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
sorry, not my video. I saw them shooting it last winter though. Serves as a good point of reference as to way the lake freezes over. From the 10th ...no ice.until frozen on the 13th was only 3 days. As I said I was on it on the 16th and found 6-8 inches of ice

oh boy, just checked Environment Canada forecast. They have changed it to milder weather again for next couple of days. Sorry, have to re-think 5-7 days until it gets cold again

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-23_metric_e.html

Daceminnow
01-11-2012, 08:11 PM

no need for an apology. thanks for posting the video regardless. i watched it with my kids. a little after dinner science class.

Dace

Teamprotz
01-11-2012, 08:25 PM
Regardless of timing , 3 days , 3 weeks , everyone be safe ! Don't need my kids worrying about catching your body floating by ! I want them to catch their first laker through the ice before we try tackle that !:scared0015:

Penner
01-12-2012, 08:09 AM
Cold Lake should freeze over by the end of next week. It will need sometime after that to thicken after that. End of the month would be about right from my experince if the current weather forecast holds.

gilbertslake
01-12-2012, 09:02 AM
Cold Lake should freeze over by the end of next week. It will need sometime after that to thicken after that. End of the month would be about right from my experince if the current weather forecast holds.

I will be going along Lakeshore Drive in another half hour or so. Will let you know if there is any more ice making on the lake. I checked my weather station and it says winds ranged from calm to 5 km/h from 5pm last evening until 4am today which would have helped things along. Overnight temp was around -15 until 4am but has risen to -7 now. Forecast is for -2 today, not what is wanted for making ice.

gilbertslake
01-12-2012, 12:06 PM
This is how things look today. It has gained some more ice since yesterday.
But there is an open water lead parralel to the shoreline . It has varying widths from about 30 yards towards the park to over 100 yards near the beach and probably 300 yards towards Rocky Point.
On the Kinoosoo Beach 1 picture, that is not open water in the foreground, it the shadow of the Water Treatment Plant

hiddenwalleye
01-12-2012, 03:06 PM
:)..Great Pic's, thanks for the taking the time to post!!

HW

:sign0111:

Walleye101
01-12-2012, 04:09 PM
Yes Thank-You!!!

gilbertslake
01-12-2012, 04:25 PM
:)..Great Pic's, thanks for the taking the time to post!!

HW

:sign0111:

No problem. I was on my way to the hospital to have a coffee with my wife, when she was on her break. I drive along Lakeshore almost every day for a quick look, as I have been keeping an eye on how the ice is making on the lake.

saltwater cowboy
01-12-2012, 10:12 PM
Great pictures,I LOVE Cold lake.
Hopefully our annual Cold lake ice fishing trip will happen again this year. Don't mind walking anyway,need the exercise !
Salty

gilbertslake
01-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Great pictures,I LOVE Cold lake.
Hopefully our annual Cold lake ice fishing trip will happen again this year. Don't mind walking anyway,need the exercise !
Salty

Bad news.

Just got back from the lake, it is +1 and windy and the open leads are widening again, all the build up from past few days has been wiped out. I am converted, this is going to take a lot longer.

I am now predicting freeze up May 1st and ice out May 2nd

Penner
01-14-2012, 08:33 AM
Bad news.

Just got back from the lake, it is +1 and windy and the open leads are widening again, all the build up from past few days has been wiped out. I am converted, this is going to take a lot longer.

I am now predicting freeze up May 1st and ice out May 2nd

Ha ha good one. :kick:

Looking at the forecast I'll stick with my guess… freezes solid this coming week fishable by months end.

gilbertslake
01-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Ha ha good one. :kick:

Looking at the forecast I'll stick with my guess… freezes solid this coming week fishable by months end.

it's pretty much wide open again. Mild again today -2. Forecast daytime highs for next few days are -16, -24, -28 and -26C. Hopefully no wind with these should start things rolling again.

splake0
01-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Did good in French Bay today

gilbertslake
01-14-2012, 07:31 PM
Did good in French Bay today

How much ice there now? I may go there tomorrow if not going to Little Bear

Teamprotz
01-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Was waitin for the local expert to chime in.

splake0
01-14-2012, 10:37 PM
About 5 inches. Today was my first day out.

gilbertslake
01-15-2012, 11:06 AM
Was waitin for the local expert to chime in.

?

Teamprotz
01-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll take splake0's info for Cold lake anyday.

Chris K
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM
Can't wait to hit the ice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i72AEn03kvY

Chris K

Walleye101
01-18-2012, 01:07 PM
How's the big freeze coming along?

splake0
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
I heard there is 11 inches on French Bay now.

gilbertslake
01-18-2012, 02:33 PM
How's the big freeze coming along?

Main part of lake froze over on the 16th. I haven't seen anyone out doing test holes yet. Guess it is too darned cold, it was -35 yesterday. I am going around the lake by Kinoosoo beach later, I will let you know if there has been any activity on the ice yet, but I doubt it. Certainly it will be a while before safe for vehicles. French Bay should be thicker than it was last weekend.
There appears to be a lot of rafting of ice out there though

gilbertslake
01-18-2012, 03:20 PM
Main part of lake froze over on the 16th. I haven't seen anyone out doing test holes yet. Guess it is too darned cold, it was -35 yesterday. I am going around the lake by Kinoosoo beach later, I will let you know if there has been any activity on the ice yet, but I doubt it. Certainly it will be a while before safe for vehicles. French Bay should be thicker than it was last weekend.
There appears to be a lot of rafting of ice out there though

I just got back from Kinoosoo and along by the Marina. There are a few dark spots which I thought may be open, but when I used the binoculars they look to be iced over, probably were the last areas to get iced over and no snow on them yet.
No tracks leading down to the ice yet. Saw two guys on the boat launch area parking lot giving things a look over.
Hard to say how long yet, but I will leave that to the 'experts' as my 30 years of ice fishing hardly qualifies me.

finner-duramax
01-18-2012, 05:12 PM
has anyone fished it in the past couple days?
any input would be greatly appreciated

C Taylor
01-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Kinda get the feeling like a bunch of lemming on a cliff waitting for the first to jump Lol I thinking that lake needs a break from ice fishin this year

Walleye101
01-18-2012, 09:58 PM
A lake that size can sustain the pressure it recieves. My guess would be people will be driving out by the end of the month. Please keep us posted! Those lakers are sure a beauty to catch!

burbotman14
01-18-2012, 10:19 PM
While cold lake has a fair amount of fishing pressure, I believe the lake is in pretty good shape. I was there a few times in the open water season, and throughout the days we saw tons of fish on the sonar. Another thing is that alot of the trout were in 150+ feet down which gets a fraction of the pressure as the top 100 feet. Even when we were fishing over 250 feet of featureless bottom we caught a few and were marking plenty more. One thing I would like to see change is the size of fish being kept. It takes 10-12 years for a lake trout to reach 65 cm, and this is also when they become most valuable for reproduction and self-sustainability. Hopefully the lake freezes up nicely so I can get out and try some hardwater lake trout fishing. Must be quite the experience reeling up a nice laker 100 feet on the hardwater.

Teamprotz
01-19-2012, 03:34 AM
Absolutely , keeping the wrong fish is hurting the lake. If they protected fish OVER 65cm , imagine the 40lb fish (we) would have in there ! The fish are well fed and there are alot of them at all depths. Can't wait , got alot of equipment ready this fall for out there !

Buck9
01-19-2012, 06:47 PM
How has everyone been getting on at French Bay. Walking or is there enough ice for bikes? Thinking of trying my luck this Saturday.

splake0
01-20-2012, 01:22 AM
How has everyone been getting on at French Bay. Walking or is there enough ice for bikes? Thinking of trying my luck this Saturday.

Your questions are answered above.