PDA

View Full Version : How do the fishinf cameras perform at night?

Rabdo
01-11-2012, 11:42 AM
Thinking of picking up a underwater camera. Just curious if they are useful once the sun goes down. Do certain cameras work better than others in these conditions?

Thanks y'all

Dan Foss
01-11-2012, 11:58 AM
they don't work at all at night. it's illegal to use the lights on a camera. just isnt enough light penetrating the ice at night

Rabdo
01-11-2012, 12:00 PM
That's what I thought. Was just hoping for some bad ass technology

ogre
01-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Picked up the AquaVu Micro from The Fishin' Hole recently.
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3870525&enlargeSkuz=26814&D=10&C=10C&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=10C
I haven't tried it out yet, but it has 2 built-in IR LEDs, These should be ok for use at dusk/night as they are outside of the visible light spectrum. Tried at home, they illuminated to 8'. I don't expect to use it like the standard UW cameras as this unit is only hooked up to a 22lbs cable.

Dan Foss
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
https://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?imageSku=3870525&enlargeSkuz=26814&D=10&C=10C&GETPRODUCTSBYCLASSG=10C
I haven't tried it out yet, but it has 2 built-in IR LEDs, These should be ok for use at dusk/night as they are outside of the visible light spectrum. Tried at home, they illuminated to 8'. I don't expect to use it like the standard UW cameras as this unit is only hooked up to a 22lbs cable.

It is illegal to use the lights on an underwater camera

From page 18&19 of your regs:

General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

 Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling.

kingshow
01-11-2012, 01:18 PM
It's a grey area I believe, nothing in the regs that state you can't punch a hole in the lake and stick a camera with light down to check out structure, then pull it up and move on till you find the structure your looking for, then when you find it, pull up your camera and start fishing, any thoughts? this is the way I would say you could legally use your light to scout, and not to fish. There is going to have to be a new rule with these cameras, there s going to be guys out there who just stick a hook onto there camera and it falls into the regs rules,

Dan Foss
01-11-2012, 01:23 PM
I understand what you mean but its debatable. the "scouting process" can be classified as sport fishing. It does to me. May not to some others.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 02:03 PM
I understand what you mean but its debatable. the "scouting process" can be classified as sport fishing. It does to me. May not to some others.

The scouting can not be classified as sportfishing if you have no lines down.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 02:12 PM

Fish see the standard light frequencies that we see as well as infrared and ultraviolet frequencies (UV).

Dan Foss
01-11-2012, 02:22 PM
The scouting can not be classified as sportfishing if you have no lines down.

My point exactly it depends on perspective because I understand your side but for me personally. If I am scouting and drilling holes even without I line I still consider that part of sport fishing. It comes down to personal opinion. This would be a good question for a CO.

TROLLER
01-11-2012, 02:54 PM
Buddy of mine uses his all the time and you can see clear as day even at night.

No extra lights but I think when he told me it cost him 3K that kinda explained it. Sure is a nice camera tho.

Some day if I win the loto I'll have me that kind of stuff too. LOL

deadeye
01-11-2012, 03:03 PM
My cheap FishTV camera has IR lights, last year a pike grabbed it, I could see where its throat starts and its gills from the inside. No question you can see in the dark with it.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
My point exactly it depends on perspective because I understand your side but for me personally. If I am scouting and drilling holes even without I line I still consider that part of sport fishing. It comes down to personal opinion. This would be a good question for a CO.

Will try to find e-mail from last year if not will send one to SRD again last e-mail basically said as long no fishing was being done with in 5m of camera light
it was ok to use. We were asking about under water structure locates. It is a good thing to know.

rielbowhunter
01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
It is illegal to use the lights on an underwater camera

From page 18&19 of your regs:

General Sportfishing Restrictions
It Is Unlawful To:

 Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used in angling.

So does this mean I can't turn the lights on , on my boat at sundown? LOL

Willowtrail
01-11-2012, 05:57 PM
So does this mean I can't turn the lights on , on my boat at sundown? LOL

They're not pointing into the water.

mayuan
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
LOL, there is a loop hole. If you place a hook on the bottom of the camera with the light it is legal. The camera has now become a lure. :sHa_shakeshout:

Page 18&19, 2011 fishing regulations:

It Is Unlawful To:
Use lights to sportfish unless the light is attached to a hook or line used
in angling.

BeeGuy
01-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Fish see the standard light frequencies that we see as well as infrared and ultraviolet frequencies (UV).

kind of.

salmonids can see to 800nm and can see some UV as smolts but quickly lose this ability.

horsetrader
01-11-2012, 09:24 PM
kind of.

salmonids can see to 800nm and can see some UV as smolts but quickly lose this ability.

http://www.underwaterfishinglights.net/What-Fish-See.htm

fish gunner
01-11-2012, 11:40 PM
you guys. I have crappy old fish tv with ir camera humans cant see ir spectrum so how is CO gona see a light? ?? and most fish except pike see way better than us humans any way. just a though

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 12:09 AM
you guys. I have crappy old fish tv with ir camera humans cant see ir spectrum so how is CO gona see a light? ?? and most fish except pike see way better than us humans any way. just a though

Well mainly if he looks at your screen at night and he can see something then he will know you have a light on

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 12:32 AM
we dont stay out passed the first hour of dark most times .but have been checked at dark they never said a thing thought camera was cool no light human can see one guy asks showed him camera did not care may have been an over sight on their part good to know of though

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 12:35 AM
we dont stay out passed the first hour of dark most times .but have been checked at dark they never said a thing thought camera was cool no light human can see one guy asks showed him camera did not care may have been an over sight on their part good to know of though

your not promoting poaching with a light now are you ......JK :)

CeeZee
01-12-2012, 06:43 AM
I have no light experience to ad, but for pete's sake guys! he asked how well a camera light performs! Not to be sent to fishing regualtion school!!

Dan Foss
01-12-2012, 08:18 AM
I have no light experience to ad, but for pete's sake guys! he asked how well a camera light performs! Not to be sent to fishing regualtion school!!

actually he asked how a camera works at night. He got is answer. They dont work at all because there is not enough light at night penetrating the ice and because your not allowed to use a light at night due to regs and i referenced the regs. no harm. it a commonly asked question about the light. Nobody is flaming him. aside from that, gunner always feels he needs to fight with horsetrader. So no one is really trying to take the OP "to school" but thanks for your post. :snapoutofit:

horsetrader
01-12-2012, 10:03 AM
actually he asked how a camera works at night. He got is answer. They dont work at all because there is not enough light at night penetrating the ice and because your not allowed to use a light at night due to regs and i referenced the regs. no harm. it a commonly asked question about the light. Nobody is flaming him. aside from that, gunner always feels he needs to fight with horsetrader. So no one is really trying to take the OP "to school" but thanks for your post. :snapoutofit:

Gunner and I have a love hate relationship we love to hate each other....... :)

I think the OP got his answer with no harm done.

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
agreed he loves that I hate him! ! it is an over sight on my part. that the law makes a camera illegal unless attached to a hook. I was not aware of this. and will point this out to a co prior to using my camera again .thank you all even h@%&#t&%&£r