PDA

View Full Version : Fly Rod Repair

westwardflyfisher33
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know of anybody in Red Deer that does fly rod repairs? I have a small mitchell fly rod that I prefer to use on smaller streams but one of the eyelets has come off so the line does not feed properly.

Any suggestions would be greatful. Thanks!

Okotokian
01-11-2012, 01:10 PM
A lot of guys, some here apparently, make their own rods. I wouldn't think adding a guide is something that would be that hard to learn/do. Has to be a hundred youtube examples.

gilbertslake
01-11-2012, 05:11 PM
A lot of guys, some here apparently, make their own rods. I wouldn't think adding a guide is something that would be that hard to learn/do. Has to be a hundred youtube examples.

Give Stream Weaver fly shop a call, they may do it or at least know who can
403-343-8699

westwardflyfisher33
01-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks, I will do that this weekend. Take care!

gilbertslake
01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Thanks, I will do that this weekend. Take care!

If you have no luck and know someone coming to Cold Lake that can drop it off, I can do the repair, no charge. If you have no one to bring it back after fixed, I am supposed to travel to Montana April 25th and can drop it back to you on my way south.

When you say eyelet, I assume you mean an intermediate. Which guide is it? My recollection is they used ceramic single foot intermediates and I have Fuji ceramic single foot guides on hand. If not, I have lots of chrome snakes (but only left to right spiral), chrome, titanium and black single foot intermediates. So I can't see any problem matching.

Only thing is thread colour, I should have most colours on hand, but can't guarantee the right shade.

I remember the Mitchells from the early 1980's, they were real buggy whips to cast, good for dry fly though.

westwardflyfisher33
01-13-2012, 07:58 AM
I'll take some pictures so you can see which eyelet I am talking about. Stay tuned! Thanks

westwardflyfisher33

westwardflyfisher33
01-16-2012, 11:22 AM
Sorry for not posting pics, it was a busy weekend. But as it turned out I went to Streamweaver Flies and they have the snake guide, thread and resin all on order for me. I was wrong about my old Mitchell rod too, it turns out it was actually a 5 wt 8 foot rather than a 6 foot. LOL my bad, but looking forward to getting it fixed. Picked up a new Mayfly reel before the weekend too and looking forward to using it this spring. I might get another reel yet though as my old shakespear is not what it used to be. Think I will look into a temple fork. If I am going to have 2 rods then 2 reels would serve me just as well for variety. Thanks all for the suggestions!

westwardflyfisher33