PDA

View Full Version : Fluorocarbon vs. Pike??

New Hunter Okotoks
01-12-2012, 11:38 PM
I know for a fact that Pike can cut right through straight 50 LB. Braid tied directly to a hook. Can they cut through Fluoro as well?

I currently use 50 LB Braid tied to a store-bought rig that is basically a 30lb metal leader with a small spinner and a treble on it. I was thinking that I would certainly get more action with say 2 feet of invisible Fluoro tied to a single treble that goes into the bait. If Pike do not get through Fluoro,could I also use it to tie on an additional "stinger" treble to the 1st treble?

fish gunner
01-12-2012, 11:50 PM
I have had good success with 30 lb floro when fishing walleye in pike waters.I must add I have seen it part if the pike take it deep. if I am targeting pike I use 50 lb floro and will start using ty ger knotable wire in the near future. my two bits

pelada trochu
01-13-2012, 12:28 AM
pike should hit it from side very little chance to engulf the lure, might have to upsize your presentations if you find they are inhaling. just my two bits..

i use big black leaders and have no complaints, you just got to get them ****ed off first. sorry thats open water fishing,

dont have much experience on the ice....

gilbertslake
01-13-2012, 12:39 AM
I know for a fact that Pike can cut right through straight 50 LB. Braid tied directly to a hook. Can they cut through Fluoro as well?

I currently use 50 LB Braid tied to a store-bought rig that is basically a 30lb metal leader with a small spinner and a treble on it. I was thinking that I would certainly get more action with say 2 feet of invisible Fluoro tied to a single treble that goes into the bait. If Pike do not get through Fluoro,could I also use it to tie on an additional "stinger" treble to the 1st treble?

Don't know about using it for pike, but my experience is that the least little bit of abrasion on the line and it doesn't take long for the fluoro to start fraying out and weaken. So I would imagine with all those sharp teeth, a pike can cause quite a lot of abrasion on the line.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-13-2012, 12:57 AM
I'm generally hooking the pike in the top of the mouth and use large baits. On a large pike that still leaves plenty of room for bare line to be in contact with teeth. Also the pike seem to have a tendency to roll up in the line quite a bit.

The guy at WSS told me that I'd be OK tying the Fluoro to the braid so it acts as the leader with no need for a traditional leader. He said that it may get roughed up but would hold together. I'm wondering if this is plausible or not.

fish gunner
01-13-2012, 01:38 AM
[QUOTE=pelada trochu;1254541]pike should hit it from side very little chance to engulf the lure, might have to upsize your presentations if you find they are inhaling

I am sorry I cannot agree with that statement pike feed by inhaling there prey. I have witnessed pike hit a lure or bait from every direction but down.and have lost small pike on wire that had became kinked on previous fish. due to the fact they engulfed the large lure

WayneChristie
01-13-2012, 07:38 AM
havent lost one from biting through 50 pound flouro yet. I started using a knot with a crimp sleeve on the tag end to prevent them from pulling the line through the sleeve though.

Buck Krazy
01-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Yup they bitE cleAn thru it. That will be waynes next story, the 30 lber that bit thru his leader lol

Geezle
01-13-2012, 08:09 AM
I've had 50lb fluoro get nicked up by pike, but I've yet to have one bite me off.

fish gunner
01-13-2012, 08:24 AM
I believe that the pike family are the only fish in north american fresh water that have a knife edged tooth structure. walleye have a mean set of teeth however they are rounded in profile. giving pike the ability to cut line of any kind in the right conditions and have seen wire part if kinked during the fight . I for one have not lost a pike on 50 lb florocarbon but have needed to retie after one fish in the past.02 ¢

Buck Krazy
01-13-2012, 08:28 AM
Could cost u guys the big one. Ive had 2 cut thru it like scizzors.

Vessey
01-13-2012, 09:32 PM
I tie my own quickstrike rigs with 50lb floro and haven't had problems.

WayneChristie
01-13-2012, 10:02 PM
I will be changing up to the 55 pound knot2kinky when I get some suitably sized sleeves for it, cant tie it that heavy, Ive had the flouro get nicked but no biteoffs. with the camera or sight fishing I try and hit them as soon as they have a hook, dont give them a chance to swallow it deep, since i dont like to keep them anyways

New Hunter Okotoks
01-13-2012, 10:39 PM
So I tied up some quick strikes(1 treble tied together with another treble with about 7" of line between them) With this 40lb. Fluoro......it's not at all easy to knot! It tied up fine when I joined it to the 50lb braid;not much of a knot to see and hardly any tag ends-a nice job. But when tying to a hook,this stuff is really stiff. I used both a Palomar and a Blood knot but they don't knot up nearly as neat as the thinner lines. I left a bit more tag end just in case. If anything, I think that a big fish will just tighten the knot more. I don't think that the knots are that bad that they will unravel.

I shall find out tomorrow how this experiment works out.

WayneChristie
01-13-2012, 10:47 PM
So I tied up some quick strikes(1 treble tied together with another treble with about 7" of line between them) With this 40lb. Fluoro......it's not at all easy to knot! It tied up fine when I joined it to the 50lb braid;not much of a knot to see and hardly any tag ends-a nice job. But when tying to a hook,this stuff is really stiff. I used both a Palomar and a Blood knot but they don't knot up nearly as neat as the thinner lines. I left a bit more tag end just in case. If anything, I think that a big fish will just tighten the knot more. I don't think that the knots are that bad that they will unravel.

got to catch a fish first ;) cant bug you about drilling for oil anymore, drilled where the SRD map says 6 feet of water couple weekends ago and struck gravel , so out another 45 bucks for a new blade. I like just an over hand loop in the heavy flouro, with the sleeve on the tag end, have to catch something besides a hog walleye to test it out now.

New Hunter Okotoks
01-13-2012, 10:51 PM
I like just an over hand loop in the heavy flouro, with the sleeve on the tag end, have to catch something besides a hog walleye to test it out now.

My wife wants to know what a sleeve is. I know what it is but I just want you to tell her.

WayneChristie
01-13-2012, 10:58 PM
My wife wants to know what a sleeve is. I know what it is but I just want you to tell her.

metal or the old sheepgut type? ;) its a small metal tube, that you squish to keep the line from slipping out of the confriguration you want it in :) beats tying a knot if you have the correct diameter, if its too big its like tossing a cocktail weenie down a hallway, if its right its nice and tight and keeps thing just right. hmm that sounds so right and so wrong all at the same time. I love fishing!!!!!:sHa_shakeshout::sHa_shakeshout:

New Hunter Okotoks
01-13-2012, 11:03 PM
Thanks Wayne......,I mean the wife says thanks.

Can these be purchased just about anywhere or specialty item?

BTW, I was somewhat shocked at the price of this Heavy Fluoro.

WayneChristie
01-13-2012, 11:12 PM
Thanks Wayne......,I mean the wife says thanks.

Can these be purchased just about anywhere or specialty item?

BTW, I was somewhat shocked at the price of this Heavy Fluoro.

most of the big box stores. (snicker) have sleeves, or you can order them from Luremakers.com) and the knot2kinky is even pricier, about a buck a foot versus a buck a yard for flouro, but maybe it lasts longer, havent tried it out yet, got the material sitting beside me right now, but Im a long way from a big box right now. :bad_boys_20: compare even the flouro to a wire leader that gets kinked and pretty much useless after one or two decent fish and the price starts to seem a bit more reasonable

pelada trochu
01-13-2012, 11:16 PM
you know to save costs just catch less fish!!!

:scared0018:

New Hunter Okotoks
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
you know to save costs just catch less fish!!!

:scared0018:

I save LOTS of money then! LOL!!

WayneChristie
01-13-2012, 11:29 PM
yah I could just stay home and save lots of money, but I d rather spend a bit and entertain myself, still cheaper in the long run. used to pay for a tank of gas a week in the city, just to go to work and back, now I pay for 2 tanks a month, and 95% of it is to go fishing. :sHa_shakeshout: and no rushhour traffic !!!

pelada trochu
01-13-2012, 11:36 PM
no kidding, its real special to be able to fish. worth every penny. especially when you get to hear that reel sing.

Vessey
01-14-2012, 09:26 AM

I tried a few knots when I first started tying them and found the polomer knot was the best for me. I would tie a snap swevel on boths ends and put it in my vise and pull them apart to see which knot broke. If tied well the polomer and uni knot wouldn't break and the 35lb swevels would pull apart. I found the polomer knot easier to consistantly tie.

On my quickstrike rigs I just let the middle hook slide freely, that way you can adjust it for different bait sizes and get your bait more level. I have put heat shrink tubing on the hook so it doesn't slide as easily too, I found that some of the big baits would fold in half from its own weight.

lifesaflyin
01-14-2012, 10:13 AM
have not had one get away since i switched to straight 50 lb braid.:)

pike_king780
01-14-2012, 11:44 AM
I am sorry I cannot agree with that statement pike feed by inhaling there prey. I have witnessed pike hit a lure or bait from every direction but down.and have lost small pike on wire that had became kinked on previous fish. due to the fact they engulfed the large lure[/QUOTE]

Agreed, all to many times ive pulled out 4-6 inch swimbaits out of the depths of its mouth, they definitely enjoy inhaling their prey. :bad_boys_20:

pike_king780
01-14-2012, 11:46 AM
:grouphugg:

Geezle
01-14-2012, 12:05 PM
For the few who have seen pike hit from every direction but down, I have to add that I've seen pike do complete nose-stands to pick bait up off the bottom :)

WayneChristie
01-14-2012, 07:06 PM
7 pike today and not one bite off, or from the walleyes either:sHa_shakeshout:

Albertafisher
01-14-2012, 08:24 PM
I use 40lb flouro more than steel leaders and I have;
a) usually a higher success rate than my fellows that use steel leaders (on highly fished bodies of water, and on sensitive lakes).
b) It never seems to break (they do get scuffs), where as I have steel leaders snap quite a bit.
c) Other fish don't get spooked by it, so I get walleye on the lure as well (at a higher rate than if I were to use a steel leader).