PDA

View Full Version : flats wading boots

s_erickson
01-13-2012, 06:19 PM
Do i need to buy seperate wading boots for fishing the flats down south or will my standard wading boots do for the 1-2 days of fishing i'm going to get in. Also is there any other special gear you would recommend? Thanks

gilbertslake
01-13-2012, 06:27 PM
Do i need to buy seperate wading boots for fishing the flats down south or will my standard wading boots do for the 1-2 days of fishing i'm going to get in. Also is there any other special gear you would recommend? Thanks

what are your standard wading boots? Cleats, felt, rubber sole?

s_erickson
01-13-2012, 06:37 PM
felt

gilbertslake
01-13-2012, 06:54 PM
felt

felt is ok in the water on rocks, gravel. Not the best for sand and terrible for mud or slime. I like a well ribbed sole for mud and slime.
If you want the best ribbed sole boot, IMHO the Simms Guide boot is the best, it has a Vibram sole and will last years. But it will cost you $$$$
Are you going to be wading or just casting from the bank?

lannie
01-13-2012, 07:22 PM
The real "flat boots" are around 75.00 if you wanted. You can buy good quality running shoe style water booties from a dive shop or elsewhere. they are about 25.00 For 1 or 2 days i think i would do the 25.00 option as you will be able to utilize them on the beach and else where. Very flexible. Down side would be a bit of sand might get in them while you are wading. No big deal though, just slip them off and rinse out sand. extra 5 seconds.

fish gunner
01-13-2012, 09:19 PM
best not quite dead runners not the best in sand but wear all day comfort

goldscud
01-13-2012, 10:24 PM
My buddies just buy some $40 "hiking runners" and then just leave them with locals in Cuba when they go home.

Kingfisher
01-14-2012, 02:26 AM
I always bring my scuba diving boots. They have a hard bottom but do up nice and tight and keep the sand out. I also wear a pair of socks in them and fold the tops over top of the boot. This also helps keep the sand out. Keep the sand out of your boots and you will have a very comfortable day wading the flats. If you get sand in your boots then you will have a bad day on the water and an ever worse day the next day when your feet are worn raw from the sand getting in.

Rob

s_erickson
01-14-2012, 09:39 AM
Would old runners work then? i got a couple pairs of them. And if i had my waders on no sand could get in anyways? Ive been down to cuba once befor and i know that they have next to nothing for supplies for stuff like this so i want to be prepared, but i don't want to spend a bunch of money on something im only going to use once every year or two. Thanks for the help so far.

Sea Hawk
01-14-2012, 11:14 AM
I think sneakers are the way to go. Last year when i went to Belize I bought a cheap pair of sneakers at Walmart. I think they were $14.00 and for that price you can leave them behind. If you go the old sneaker route and are going to cuba, you may want to take a pair with the Nike logo.The last time i was there, I had many people asking for them.