PDA

View Full Version : Delete

jgrocks
01-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Wanting to get into fly fishing and I came across this add, and it just happens to be the weights that I'm looking for. Are these good fly rods or are they junk? Any idea on what they cost new?

"2 reddington pursuit fly rods for sale. they are 9'0ft 6 wt and a 9 wt. both are brand new and come with cases and a life time warranty."

The guy has them listed for $110, not sure if thats each or for both. Will find out though.

Help is appreciated.

Justin

goldscud
01-13-2012, 11:03 PM
I believe the Pursuit model replaced the Crosswater. These are lower end models with a slower action and more weight than the expensive rods. It depends what kind of action you are looking for in a rod. If you go to a fly shop they often let you try out some rods and see what suits you (and your wallet) best.

gilbertslake
01-13-2012, 11:08 PM
you can buy them direct from Redington for $100 a piece, but you'll pay $$$ for shipping. If it's $110 for 2 then that's a deal. If it's $110 each and they are in excellent shape, I wouldn't go that high. See what his bottom price is.
Redington, are ok rods. I have a couple knockabouts a 9ft 4 6wt and a 11ft 6inch 3pc 7 wt that they didn't continue with. It is a good rod for Czech (short line) nymphing
I would say they are good starting rods
Once you get into fly fishing, like everything else yoou will check out differnet rods until you find what suits you best. Everyone has an idea of what is best, I just say go with what feels best for you.
I fished SAGE rods for years until someone gave me a Scott rod to try then I was sold. hawked all of may SAGE rods and got Scott's instead. I have stuck with Scott since then as my main equipment, but I have others I like as well including Redington as I said.
Scott does entry level rods as well

gilbertslake
01-13-2012, 11:12 PM
I believe the Pursuit model replaced the Crosswater. These are lower end models with a slower action and more weight than the expensive rods. It depends what kind of action you are looking for in a rod. If you go to a fly shop they often let you try out some rods and see what suits you (and your wallet) best.

They still have the Crosswater. I think the Pursuit replaced the Redstart. They say the Pusuit is a fast action, but I would say it is on an IM7 type blank and more likely medium-fast. Good for a beginner though

jgrocks
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
I have fly fished twice and both times were for sockeye salmon in BC using Sage rods. So I am still really new to the sport and the lingo and how the rod is supposed to feels is lost on me, but I wanna learn and hopefully I will be able to head out with someone in the spring.

I'm thinking that the 9wt should be good enough to fish the sockeye which were averaging 15 lbs. What do you think?

gilbertslake
01-14-2012, 01:18 AM
I have fly fished twice and both times were for sockeye salmon in BC using Sage rods. So I am still really new to the sport and the lingo and how the rod is supposed to feels is lost on me, but I wanna learn and hopefully I will be able to head out with someone in the spring.

I'm thinking that the 9wt should be good enough to fish the sockeye which were averaging 15 lbs. What do you think?

Haven't fished sockeye but a 9wt is great for Atlantic Salmon and they get a lot bigger than 15lb. The 9wt will give you more line weight allowing for longer casts.

How did the SAGE rods feel when casting. Do you know the models yoou used?
Did your arms tire quickly or were you ok after an hour.
Many Sage rods (but not all) are fast action, which means that the rod is a lot stiffer and bend most, close to the tip. SAGE, do have entry level rods which are medium fast action. I think the current is the Vantage whcih although entry level, will still set you back about $250-$300. When casting, a fast action rod bends a lot less than a medium or slow action rod as it is loading power into the rod.
Did anyone teach you to cast or are you self taught? Do you know how to double haul? These are things a good fly shop would want to know in order to determine what may be best for you.
Sorry for asking more technical stuff, it let's me understand better where you are with this.
If you are serious about getting into fly-fishing you should be talking to someone who knows fly-fishing and be able to knock together a few to see how they feel. Best place to do this is a fly shop where the staff are fly fishers.
Ideally you should be able to test a few different models. Maybe someone knows of a store where they have an in-house casting area for try outs.
Good luck,.
But again if $100 is what you want to spend, I think the Redington will be just fine.

jgrocks
01-14-2012, 08:33 PM
Haven't fished sockeye but a 9wt is great for Atlantic Salmon and they get a lot bigger than 15lb. The 9wt will give you more line weight allowing for longer casts.

How did the SAGE rods feel when casting. Do you know the models yoou used?
Did your arms tire quickly or were you ok after an hour.
Many Sage rods (but not all) are fast action, which means that the rod is a lot stiffer and bend most, close to the tip. SAGE, do have entry level rods which are medium fast action. I think the current is the Vantage whcih although entry level, will still set you back about $250-$300. When casting, a fast action rod bends a lot less than a medium or slow action rod as it is loading power into the rod.
Did anyone teach you to cast or are you self taught? Do you know how to double haul? These are things a good fly shop would want to know in order to determine what may be best for you.
Sorry for asking more technical stuff, it let's me understand better where you are with this.
If you are serious about getting into fly-fishing you should be talking to someone who knows fly-fishing and be able to knock together a few to see how they feel. Best place to do this is a fly shop where the staff are fly fishers.
Ideally you should be able to test a few different models. Maybe someone knows of a store where they have an in-house casting area for try outs.
Good luck,.
But again if $100 is what you want to spend, I think the Redington will be just fine.

No clue of the model of the Sage rods, but they felt great casting. The rods themselves felt pretty light. We stayed on the river for quite a while (pretty much all day), didnt get tired from the rods more so hulling the salmon in constantly. We were visiting my father in laws friend and he showed us everything we needed to know to fish that river. The only thing that pretty much stuck in my head was to always keep your hands on the cork, anywhere else could snap the rod and I think they were really expensive.

Any good fly fishing shops in Edmonton???

goldscud
01-14-2012, 11:23 PM
Redington pursuit...from their website:
Fast Action
Alignment dots for easy rod set up
Weights available from 3wt to 9wt for multiple fishing needs
Durable anodized aluminum reel seat, ideal for all fresh and sal****er applications

jgrocks
01-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Redington pursuit...from their website:
Fast Action
Alignment dots for easy rod set up
Weights available from 3wt to 9wt for multiple fishing needs
Durable anodized aluminum reel seat, ideal for all fresh and sal****er applications

Thanks for the help, but I already read that.