PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your distance.....and staying safe

Greatgraywolf
01-14-2012, 08:36 AM
Last year, just as the ice went onto one of the bays on Cold Lake, I walked out with my sled, having drilled some test holes along the way. Yes, I'm eager to get to the lakers as soon as the ice is on. I was sitting fishing on a comfortable (for walking) 5 inches of ice when a quad started out toward me. I tried to wave him back, and the ice was creaking as he pulled up. When I shouted that there wasn't enough ice, he finally got it, but only after he'd endangered me, and himself. Think about it, all of you anxious ice anglers. If someone has walked out early in the season, it's likely that there isn't enough ice to drive. I might add that only a few scant metres farther out, the ice was only three inches thick. I'm not an unfriendly old cuss, trying to protect my area. I am an old cuss because I've been careful! So park away from me, walk over, and I'll chat for a bit!

packhuntr
01-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Anything to do with ice and vehicles makes me nervous. And thats entirely the problem. Guys that are smart play it safe. 90% of the ying-yangs out there are are too stupid to help themselves, instead prefering to not only endanger themselves and the people they are with, but also the lives of would be rescuers that are left watching as these idiots repeatedly make attempts at meeting their maker. And what of it, if an innocent bystander watched as these idiots drown, or get top side and freeze to death? Whos problem is it? Is it worth it to risk ones (smart) azz trying to dive down to pull an idiot out of his vehicle in 15 feet of water? Again, whos responsibility is it to look after these guys? We all know the answer to that one, and if you dont risk your own life, one could never be exhonerated and for some reason, most couldnt live it down if they didnt try. Thats the problem,,, these idiots are endangering EVERYONE out there. Check your brains at the shore and leave your balls there while your at it. This is single handedly the biggest reason I fish remote,,, the human element is NOT PRESENT, and I dont have to be put in a bad situation by these townies looking for a good time on thier first excursion outdoors for the year,,, second only to the upcoming infamous May long...