PDA

View Full Version : pike fly leaders

s_erickson
01-14-2012, 04:46 PM
Will these work for barracuda?

Albertafisher
01-14-2012, 04:50 PM
They should. But you probably want a heavier wire fly leader for Barracuda. 30lbs should do it. Pack 4 or 5 because they will occasionally break off. But you can buy Barracuda wire leaders at most fishing stores for about the same price.

s_erickson
01-14-2012, 04:52 PM
okay, will an 8 weight cut it? or am i gonna have to beg the wife to let me buy ANOTHER fly rod and reel ( i have 3 right now already)

Albertafisher
01-14-2012, 05:12 PM
okay, will an 8 weight cut it? or am i gonna have to beg the wife to let me buy ANOTHER fly rod and reel ( i have 3 right now already)

8wt will work, you won't have as much power for hauling them in as a 10-12wt, but it still will work (it might be more fun?). The only thing is, make sure you don't have coldwater line on the reel as it will be too floppy for warm water.

s_erickson
01-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I used the line last time but i made sure to check the water temp befor i left. Right now down in cayo coco the water is around 22 degrees and the air temp has only been between 20-25. It did fine last year when the temps were higher then that. I actually had more issues in the previous summer in Quesnel BC when the air temp was around 37.

Albertafisher
01-14-2012, 05:45 PM
I used the line last time but i made sure to check the water temp befor i left. Right now down in cayo coco the water is around 22 degrees and the air temp has only been between 20-25. It did fine last year when the temps were higher then that. I actually had more issues in the previous summer in Quesnel BC when the air temp was around 37.

Hmm, then it should work haha! Go for it! And good luck with those cuda!

Kingfisher
01-16-2012, 12:39 AM
I use a 9'6" 8wt for bonefish and just happen to get a baracuda when I was fishing the flats down in Cozumel. I only had on 12lb test florocarbon leader. I suppose I was lucky to land the cuda.

You can get the tieable steel leader from Fishtales in Calgary. Works great if your targeting the cuda's. I use it for pike and it works great.

I have used a few different lines down in Cayo Coco. Used a Rio multi tip 8wt line. Used the floating tip. Worked great. You don't want to catch it on the rocks anyhow. Most of your fishing down there will be in 4 feet of water or less. I have also used a Rio Grand. Both are cold water lines. Both worked like a charm. Both came back in good shape.

I would think if your targeting cuda then your choice of rod should be 9wt or larger. The only cuda I saw down in Cayo Coco was a 4 footer. Of course you could get any size. But if your specifically targeting them I would go with a heavier rather than lighter rod.

I was thinking of using a 7/8 spey rod next time I head to the Caribean to fish for either bones or larger fish. The cast you can get with a spey rod will far outstretch the single hander. Which could be a huge benifit. Got to practice more with the spey. But so far even with a single lesson I was chucking the spey over 100 feet. A great asset when targeting spooky bones, cuda's or permit.

Rob