PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake Methods

338Bluff
01-14-2012, 05:23 PM
What is your favorite go to method for this Lake? Fish deep with Wetaskiwin specials? Wire wraps?

No one seems to be catching other that the mythical few. I have seen no less than 2 different biologists skewered and nearly publicly tarred and feathered by insisting there is still a viable whitefish fishery there.

SNAPFisher
01-14-2012, 07:03 PM
I've been toying with the idea of a new method:
Depth Charges

That lake has beaten me into nothingness. Must be mismanagement of the fishery for sure as I could not possible be that bad at fishing...:kap:

338Bluff
01-14-2012, 07:23 PM
Seen the pictures you sarcastic wiener......you're just toying with me. Whatever, I've decided to take it personally. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I'm headin' in to Cabela's to buy a flasher. :)

Deep water for the rest of the year.

338Bluff
01-14-2012, 07:26 PM
And they have mismanaged the fishery. They claim that the 'public' wanted walleye.

Really?????

I think if we had known it mean't near extirpation of Pigeon Lake's (and other nearby lakes) perch fishery, and a drastic reduction of the whitefish we likely would have told them where they could stick the walleye.

lifesaflyin
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
this lake has its secrets. and when you figure them out like i did, it slaps you in the face and they move. happens to me every year after christmas

338Bluff
01-14-2012, 07:44 PM
Nope not buying it. Have fished this lake for 30 years. SRD screwed it up. We had no problems catching whitefish off of crystal springs (in deep water) every year until they started fooling around with the trash fish (aka walleye).

......and they still net it if it wasn't bad enough.

buckmaster
01-14-2012, 09:37 PM
this lake has its secrets. and when you figure them out like i did, it slaps you in the face and they move. happens to me every year after christmas

X2,

BEL
01-14-2012, 11:16 PM
I don't understand what you mean, please explain. BEL

duffy4
01-15-2012, 11:00 AM
Just think about this theory of what has happened.

Years ago, before the introduction of walleye, there were more white-fish in the lake than you could shake a jigging stick at.

The fish were relatively "small" and moved over the whole lake desperate to eat anything they could. Anglers were happy as they could catch these fish without too much difficulty.

Then walleye were introduced (and it was mostly at the request of anglers).
The whites now have more big predators after them, so they cannot live safely all over the lake. There are not so many of them and those who are left are not so desperate for food. They live and grow to be bigger fish and live deeper in the lake.

Anglers who go out and fish in the same areas they used to and use the same methods do not catch white-fish.

The fish are not all gone. They are bigger, less desperate to bite and found in deeper water.

That is why a net fishery has returned. The anglers are not catching these big whites so net fishermen using really large mesh nets are able to go deep and get whites without getting many pike or walleye.

SNAPFisher
01-15-2012, 11:24 AM

Years ago, before the introduction of walleye, there were more white-fish in the lake than you could shake a jigging stick at.

The fish were relatively "small" and moved over the whole lake desperate to eat anything they could. Anglers were happy as they could catch these fish without too much difficulty.

The whites now have more big predators after them, so they cannot live safely all over the lake. There are not so many of them and those who are left are not so desperate for food. They live and grow to be bigger fish and live deeper in the lake.

Anglers who go out and fish in the same areas they used to and use the same methods do not catch white-fish.

The fish are not all gone. They are bigger, less desperate to bite and found in deeper water.

That is why a net fishery has returned. The anglers are not catching these big whites so net fishermen using really large mesh nets are able to go deep and get whites without getting many pike or walleye.

Damn! So your saying that I do suck afterall. :budo:
Well, I'm all out of challenge on Pigeon for the time being. You are correct that I returned to the same areas that produced last couple of years. Challenging lake for sure though!

The Anvil
01-15-2012, 11:36 AM
I personally think the trick for pigeon lake now is Patience and lots of it.

For the whites, I have always offered up a brass or copper wireworm presented horizontally. This has worked in the past, at many lakes with average results.

They are a very elusive fish, almost like the MOB of the fish world. They can be seen but a bitch to catch at times :fighting0030:

Same with a brass kastmaster http://www.tackletour.com/images/pickastmaster4.jpg

Lately seems like a guy needs to almost "electro" fish just to get one up the hole. I am joking when I say that of course.

Over all the pressure on pigeon lake needs to be reduced IMO.

I for one am taking a 5 year break from fishing pigeon lake, not like I have every done well there, but that's the reason for my "backing off"

338Bluff
01-15-2012, 11:49 AM
I got out of hand last night with a couple of posts. Sorry to anyone I may have offended

SNAPFisher
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Say what?!! I thought you were funny - must have the same sense of humour as me :)

Cheers bud!

The Anvil
01-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Hey I think we can all take it... after all we are all men right?
Well some of us are actually Ladies.... seriously no insults there are actually a fair amount of female members on this board. I have met a few before.

Have a good one out there guys,

Winter fun for all.

Speckle55
01-15-2012, 12:10 PM
As in any type of fishing there are times to fish in differn,t areas
as in any lake there are food sources that the target fish will be eating
as in any lake there are times of the day when the fish are eating
As in any fishing there are certain days of a month that will be better fishing
as in any fishing there is a proper presentation that will induce a bite
as in any fishing there are those days when you can,t get a bite
As in any fishing the barometric pressure is wrong for fishing
as in any lake the food source change as per season

Being a Analytical Angler is allways a great tool:thinking-006:

Food for Thought
David

The Anvil
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
As in any type of fishing there are times to fish in differn,t areas
as in any lake there are food sources that the target fish will be eating
as in any lake there are times of the day when the fish are eating
As in any fishing there are certain days of a month that will be better fishing
as in any fishing there is a proper presentation that will induce a bite
as in any fishing there are those days when you can,t get a bite
As in any fishing the barometric pressure is wrong for fishing
as in any lake the food source change as per season

Being a Analytical Angler is allways a great tool:thinking-006:

Food for Thought
David

Agreed,

I also like food... it's the thought process that is wearing my thin... Damn brain can't seem to get it to.... Ummm?

Food?

sheepstalker
01-15-2012, 07:27 PM
not this summer but the 2 before it, there were thousands of whitefish dying from the algae and fast rising water temps.....could this be the reason for the slow fishing there?

cube
01-16-2012, 01:02 PM
I happen to agree that way too much emphasis has been given to walleye management at the expense of what used to be reasonable fisheries for other species.

0liver
01-16-2012, 04:22 PM

This is the best explanation I have found as to whats wrong with pigeon, its simply a method change. x2 on the flasher and going deep. I'd even start toying around with bell hooks and other gadgets , to try and compensate for the change in whitefish size/behavior.

pdfish
01-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Took us 3 tries before we found the whites this year at Pigeon. First time I've fished the lake in 4 years and they're not where they used to be. Think deep, and be patient.

JJMorrocco
01-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Years ago when I used to fish Pigeon, we were always in deep water during January and February. We always referred to it as deep sea fishing, and I hated it becuase you can't see the fish, and it was always damn cold and windy. Most of the time the fish were caught by snagging with the good old Wetaskiwin special, jigging pretty hard with a one foot swing. Opening up the hook increased results!

I was alot happier come march when the the fish moved back shallow and it warmed up, limit out by noon is one of the best feelings, and knowing you could get a nap in before the Hockey night in Canada, made it even better.

SNAPFisher
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
Years ago when I used to fish Pigeon, we were always in deep water during January and February. We always referred to it as deep sea fishing, and I hated it becuase you can't see the fish, and it was always damn cold and windy. Most of the time the fish were caught by snagging with the good old Wetaskiwin special, jigging pretty hard with a one foot swing. Opening up the hook increased results!

I was alot happier come march when the the fish moved back shallow and it warmed up, limit out by noon is one of the best feelings, and knowing you could get a nap in before the Hockey night in Canada, made it even better.

Interesting, are you still snagging fish with wetaskiwins?

Daceminnow
01-17-2012, 08:49 PM
I personally think the trick for pigeon lake now is Patience and lots of it.

For the whites, I have always offered up a brass or copper wireworm presented horizontally. This has worked in the past, at many lakes with average results.

They are a very elusive fish, almost like the MOB of the fish world. They can be seen but a bitch to catch at times :fighting0030:

Same with a brass kastmaster http://www.tackletour.com/images/pickastmaster4.jpg

Lately seems like a guy needs to almost "electro" fish just to get one up the hole. I am joking when I say that of course.

Over all the pressure on pigeon lake needs to be reduced IMO.

I for one am taking a 5 year break from fishing pigeon lake, not like I have every done well there, but that's the reason for my "backing off"

solid pigeon white lure selection info. kastmaster in deeper water. a small brass or copper spinner blade with a treble wired to the bottom of the blade also will produce in shallow water.

Dace

nicemustang
01-17-2012, 08:50 PM
Why do you people insist on fishing for whites during the middle of winter when you're simply just wasting your time? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that first ice and last ice is the only time while ice fishing for white is worth while. There is no secrets out there you don't know, chance of getting a white now is 100% pure luck, not skill.

Daceminnow
01-17-2012, 08:58 PM
Why do you people insist on fishing for whites during the middle of winter when you're simply just wasting your time? Doesn't take a genius to figure out that first ice and last ice is the only time while ice fishing for white is worth while. There is no secrets out there you don't know, chance of getting a white now is 100% pure luck, not skill.

ok netsmustang. where's my fillets?

Dace

dragon
01-17-2012, 09:24 PM

the walleye areas are gunna be crowded this weekend!

Since I release 99.9% of the fish I catch its quantity over species

duffy4
01-17-2012, 10:00 PM

Of course you don't fish illegally like that anymore, do you.

Speckle55
01-17-2012, 10:22 PM

ROFLMAO yep ; chances45899

45904 are what?

Brandonkop
01-17-2012, 10:29 PM
Hey I read that those whites from Jarvis and Gregg lake have Tape Worms... did you see any in those you caught???

Brandon

Speckle55
01-17-2012, 10:47 PM
Hey I read that those whites from Jarvis and Gregg lake have Tape Worms... did you see any in those you caught???

Brandon
nope not in the ones i filleted.. and it is not a tape worm LMAO if they have any they do not affect humans WOW misinformed people.. ps if you hold a fillet up to lite you can see if there are any there and calmly cut it out .. the whitefish are just AWESOME to eat.. breaded and fry MMMMMMM but hey don,t come fishing more for us :sHa_shakeshout:

Ask your local Fishery Bio

Food for Thought
David

dragon
01-17-2012, 11:30 PM
ROFLMAO yep ; chances are what?

Chances are Your're not fishing pigeon lake and therefore your pics are irrelevant?

Nice fish tho!

Mikezilk
01-18-2012, 05:42 AM
You can't blame SRD or Walleye for the Whitefish.... My brother in law lives on the lake and we see it all the time... when the algae blooms it depletes the water of the oxygen in the shallows... and the whitefish are too stupid to swim out to deeper water... so when the algae blooms the shore of the lake is flooded with dead whitefish...

Speckle55
01-18-2012, 09:08 AM
Chances are Your're not fishing pigeon lake and therefore your pics are irrelevant?

Nice fish tho!

Read my Post #15 any lake can be fished ..also check my pic,s just hi-lite my name(hunting and fishing) and look what a Analitical Angler can do.. fish eat every day..:thinking-006:

in post #24 he is making a generic statement about fishing Lake Whitefish in winter.

David

Dust1n
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
These were taken in mid winter at sylvan lake.
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/g348/EliteFisherman/Whitefish/whitefish.png
The lure of choice is in the picture on my rod.
You just need to know where to look and there forages this time of year.

JJMorrocco
01-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Interesting, are you still snagging fish with wetaskiwins?

As I said it was years ago, and it was not fun. I haven't gone deep sea fishing for at least 20 years. I've got better things to do than drive 3 hours to freeze for two fish. I now stick to early or late ice and fish shallow where I can see them, and catch them on wire worms (with barb bent down). I do still have Wetaskwin specials in the box but haven't tied one on. If there is a jack in the area, I go with kastmater - it has never let me down for getting the jack out of the area.