PDA

View Full Version : Ice anchors

kinwahkly
01-15-2012, 04:37 PM
Hey, what are you most using for ice anchors for a pop up? The one that came with my eskimoe are not the greatest.

Albertafisher
01-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Hey, what are you most using for ice anchors for a pop up? The one that came with my eskimoe are not the greatest.

I use the ones that came with my tent and they work great. Why aren't yours working well? Are they old or are they rusty?

calgarygringo
01-15-2012, 04:49 PM
My eskimo anchors work very well. Even bought a few extras for tie downs and tethering rods. Use them every trip with no issues.

stinkynuts
01-15-2012, 04:54 PM
The anhcors can be a bit tricky to get to catch make sure as you twist you push down pretty hard . and I always take the peg and chip a little starter hole before i twist but once its in 3/4 of and inch or so it should screw right in
I have thought to use a rubber mallet to pund on the top a bit to see if that would help but keep forgetting to take one

saddleup
01-15-2012, 05:04 PM
I made my own, 1/4 inch x 7 inch lag bolt, make a 1 x 1 1/2 inch L shape out of 1 inch flat iron,, drill hole in one end big enough to go over bolt threads, put a spot of weld below L shaped holder to keep from falling off. Use rechargeable drill to drive into ice, holds down my eskimo lodge in southern alberta winds.. use only 4, one on each side. works like a darn.. :):)

Geezle
01-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I use the ones that came with my tent and they work great. Why aren't yours working well? Are they old or are they rusty?

X2 the Eskimo ice anchors are some of the better ones I've encountered...the taper makes a big difference when you're screwing it in. That said, you do, as stinkynuts mentioned, need to put a fair amount of pressure on it at first to get the screw started.

Or you can do what I do and just use a cordless drill to drill a pilot hole first, then any anchor will go in, no mess, no fuss :)

kinwahkly
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks

Scott N
01-16-2012, 04:13 AM
I thought the ones that came with my Eskimo tent were pretty good too.

aulrich
01-16-2012, 10:32 AM
I found starting the stock ice anchors a PIA, Pilot holes with a drill are the fastest but I has got t achors that have a longer taper and have better cutting edges, those can make a pilot hole as well.

AlbertaAngler
01-16-2012, 10:48 AM
Ice climbing scews, go in like butter. Can be a little pricey if you don't alread have them though.

Safety D
01-16-2012, 10:59 AM
I just drive the sled or truck onto the flaps. Then it isnt going anywhere and blocks the wind.