PDA

View Full Version : You guys ever seen a black coyote?

The cooter
01-16-2012, 03:04 PM
Here a nice yote that was taken in the area.

Ryry4
01-16-2012, 03:17 PM
Young wolf?

Calamity
01-16-2012, 03:19 PM
I've never seen that dark of a colour phase on a coyote. Wonder if it's the result of a coyote bitch mating with some farmer's German Shephard dog?

Would love to see more pics of it from different angles.

25-06rem.model700
01-16-2012, 03:20 PM
used to be one north of caroline about a dozen guys missed him over the years haha

sheephunter
Melanistic coyote...fairly rare but not unheard of.

Badgoodguy
That is not a coyote

NBFK
01-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Did he have a wear mark from before he lost his collar?

Calamity
01-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Hee hee hee hee!

This would be the result of using invisible dog fence?

:scared0018:

albertadeer
01-16-2012, 03:30 PM
Missed two of em in the last 3 years!

Full mount with out a doubt when i get one!

Grizzly Adams
01-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Melanistic coyote...fairly rare but not unheard of.

x2. Make an exceptional trophy.

Grizz

steve
01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
Rigby has one in his freezer, could be that one. I've seen a few, we pushed one out this year on a bush push.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 03:37 PM
As I believe the story goes like this. Said hunter shot this 1 of three black yotes seen in the area. Of course all the locals are out trying to hunt these things because hey thats a cool mount right? So said hunter shoots this yote and takes it to taxidermy. Of course the taxidermist is a little unsure that is is a yote so to protect him self and calls F+W they come down take a look. So F+W goes to said hunters house and says they would like to take samples to prove it is in deed a yote. And tells the hunter he may face criminal charges? Turns out it is indeed a yote the pelt was given back and the taxidermy turned out very well. so this is a coyote and it was not bread with any domestic dog. In my mind it is one of the coolest things I've seen I nature.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
That is not a coyote

No? What makes you say that? Just curious on what your seeing that makes you think otherwise? Cheers.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 03:44 PM
Rigby has one in his freezer, could be that one. I've seen a few, we pushed one out this year on a bush push.

:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

Bound2Fish
01-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Facial structure does not look like yote to me. But I have been wrong before. More pictures could help.

steve
01-16-2012, 03:53 PM
:bad_boys_20::bad_boys_20:

?

The cooter
01-16-2012, 03:57 PM
?

See Pm were talking the same thing Cheers.

just_dave
01-16-2012, 04:04 PM
The head on that thing looks like a dog.

diamonddave
01-16-2012, 04:12 PM
As I believe the story goes like this. Said hunter shot this 1 of three black yotes seen in the area. Of course all the locals are out trying to hunt these things because hey thats a cool mount right? So said hunter shoots this yote and takes it to taxidermy. Of course the taxidermist is a little unsure that is is a yote so to protect him self and calls F+W they come down take a look. So F+W goes to said hunters house and says they would like to take samples to prove it is in deed a yote. And tells the hunter he may face criminal charges? Turns out it is indeed a yote the pelt was given back and the taxidermy turned out very well. so this is a coyote and it was not bread with any domestic dog. In my mind it is one of the coolest things I've seen I nature.

What the heck would the f&w charge him with???

bear crossing
01-16-2012, 04:13 PM
A good friend of mine years ago had one he mounted himself ,it was very cool ,suprised alot of visitors they thought it was his dog sitting in his rumpus room.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
What the heck would the f&w charge him with???

Never asked like I said this is the story is as I hear it. Fish and wild life could charge you with shooting someones dog on there property no? So could the RCMP no? We dont know the details but we know some. And F+W said MAY be charged So they must have had something to go on no?

Rocky7
01-16-2012, 04:28 PM
And F+W said MAY be charged So they must have had something to go on no?

I doubt it.

My friend's uncle was attacked by a cougar in B.C. He killed it with his pocketknife. F&W seized the pocketknife as "evidence" and he had a helluva time getting it back. A moron who is gets some training and is then handed a uniform is a trained moron.

creeky
01-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Rare but a reality

One of a pack of 4 (3 Blacks) harvested around Cold Lake
2005, grey got away on my buddies.

Jamie Black R/T
01-16-2012, 04:34 PM
So F+W goes to said hunters house and says they would like to take samples to prove it is in deed a yote. And tells the hunter he may face criminal charges?

that part of your story makes me sad......how do they not know a coyote comes in various colors??? if you watch any predator forums you know that black yotes arent really all that rare at all.

glad it all worked out for your friend...as he did nothing wrong.

Id probably do a full mount as well.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 04:38 PM
I doubt it.

My friend's uncle was attacked by a cougar in B.C. He killed it with his pocketknife. F&W seized the pocketknife as "evidence" and he had a helluva time getting it back. A moron who is gets some training and is then handed a uniform is a trained moron.

Well being attacked by a cougar and defending yourself is slightly different from shooting a yote and having it taxied. On suspicion that it may not be a yote. And as far as morons go hey man I work with them to. Think about how many you work with or any of us hear work with. Good and bad in all disciplines and careers. Why would F+W be any different. Just remember there are the good and I like to think there more good than bad.

I'm glad to hear your friends uncle made it though the ordeal. Now thats scary.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 04:42 PM
that part of your story makes me sad......how do they not know a coyote comes in various colors??? if you watch any predator forums you know that black yotes arent really all that rare at all.

glad it all worked out for your friend...as he did nothing wrong.

Id probably do a full mount as well.

I agree Jamie it sucks that he had to go through it but hey it worked out. And yes in some places they are common but around hear until a 5 years ago no one even new they really existed. So F+W was probably never exposed to them before. I guess you cant teach everything in school.

moosehunter3-0
01-16-2012, 05:01 PM
I seen one a few years ago in pine lake area during a bush push. When it was coming through the trees I thought I was looking at a small mule deer, thats how black it was.

Mb-MBR
01-16-2012, 05:15 PM
I agree Jamie it sucks that he had to go through it but hey it worked out. And yes in some places they are common but around hear until a 5 years ago no one even new they really existed. So F+W was probably never exposed to them before. I guess you cant teach everything in school.

The other problem with most F&W officers is most of them are not hunters and have never hunted!!!!

The cooter
01-16-2012, 05:37 PM
The other problem with most F&W officers is most of them are not hunters and have never hunted!!!!

Possible. I know 5 F+W they all hunt fish etc. But thats not to say that your experiences haven't been different then mine.

Badgoodguy
01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
I might be wrong but I just dont see a yotie the head is wrong as the snout doesnt look long enough and the ears are floppy. Head looks like a chow or something but if it is a yotie dog is different thats for sure.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 05:52 PM
I might be wrong but I just dont see a yotie the head is wrong as the snout doesnt look long enough and the ears are floppy. Head looks like a chow or something but if it is a yotie dog is different thats for sure.

I'm getting better picks. I will post them when I get them. I admit not the best pick a guy could post. I starred at it for a long time to.

Lefty-Canuck
01-16-2012, 05:56 PM
Yes I have seen one all black coyote....he ran out of the bush onto the road while I was driving so I got a really good look at him. Was one of those things you see and then it takes a bit to register exactly what you saw. I have also seen a couple of black gophers. Jim out at Pipestone has one on a mount with a badger.

LC

The cooter
01-16-2012, 05:58 PM
Yes I have seen one all black coyote....he ran out of the bush onto the road while I was driving so I got a really good look at him. Was one of those things you see and then it takes a bit to register exactly what you saw. I have also seen a couple of black gophers. Jim out at Pipestone has one on a mount with a badger.

LC

Black gopher now thats cool never heard of that.

Lefty-Canuck
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM

Next time I am in there I will take a pic of the mount and post it...if it is ok with Jim.

LC

greylynx
01-16-2012, 06:01 PM

I saw black gophers, but that was at the old Thorhild coal mine.

The cooter
01-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I saw black gophers, but that was at the old Thorhild coal mine.

:sHa_sarcasticlol::sHa_sarcasticlol: I bet they were.thats funny.

chain2
01-16-2012, 06:11 PM
melanistic ground squirrel shot two that day but I never seen a yote thou...chain

Bushmaster
01-16-2012, 06:22 PM
I saw a black coyote hide a few years back at the ATA office in Westlock....and lots of pics of them on a U.S. trapping site I visit.

Crankyfish
01-16-2012, 06:24 PM
We had some were i grew up years ago, they were cross breed with the neighbors black dog that ran the country side. The head on this one sure looks like it is cross breed of some kind.

ceedub
01-16-2012, 06:54 PM
From time to time we see a black "coy-dog" in our neighborhood. I think the last litter (5 total) is all taken and accounted for, as far as I know. Lots of guys were after them, they make a unique trophy.

Craig

yoteblaster
01-16-2012, 07:01 PM
Doesn,t look like a coyote to me . If it is, I wish I was the one that shot it!

just_dave
01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I once fed a ground squirrel some of my hotdog at a campground next to the battle river just outside of Wainwright. I then followed him to his hole and before he went in, I kid you not, he turned his head and looked back at me like, "Do you ____ing mind?" I was like, "Whoa there killer!" Mabey it was the meat? I dunno. But had there been a rock near by, I tells ya's.

Anyway, back on topic here, people.

crawfy
01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
Cool picture Cooter never seen one that dark before.

pikeslayer22
01-16-2012, 08:03 PM
Was working up by Lamont a couple years ago and seen one on a couple different occasions...caught one with hounds about 12 years ago

stinkynuts
01-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Ya they have been around for a few years by lamont and will run if they even think they are close to any thing that smells like a gun as they have been shot at lots

crownb
01-16-2012, 11:16 PM
About ten years ago there was 3 or 4 living south of the keephills powerplant by the river.We tried to shot them several times but they always managed to be on private property and they would not allow hunting.I have not been by there for a few years but nobody talks about them anymore.

KegRiver
01-17-2012, 12:31 AM
I've never heard of it, but I see no reason to think it couldn't happen.

Very cool.

Years ago, I was about eight at the time, I was with my dad, tending Coyote and Wolf snares. In one snare he had what appeared at first to be a black dog. He thought it was a stray sled dog form one of our neighbors teams, but on closer examination he decided it had enough characteristics of a wild animal, the underfur, eye color and other features, that it must be a wild domestic cross.
We collected it and later he checked with all the neighbors, non were missing any dogs, however some claimed to have wolf cross animals in their packs.
So dad prepared the hide for market and when Sam Belcourt stopped by one day, dad showed him the hide.
Sam as some of you would know, had handled thousands of Coyote and Wolf hides. He too thought it was a cross but even he was not sure if it was a Coyote or Wolf cross.

Sam bought the hide, as I recall, for $80.00, we never heard what he sold it for or if he ever discovered what exactly it was.

It looked much like your animal, the size of a large Coyote and it had many features that could have been Coyote. Had it been the color of a Normal Coyote, we would not have questioned it's blood line.

As it turned out, we never knew for sure what it was. The only thing we (Sam, Dad, my brothers and I. ) were sure of was it was not a domestic dog.

redranger15
01-17-2012, 04:19 AM
We used the see a few black ones growing up here in MB. They used to run along the combine and catch the mice as they ran out. Been a few years since one has been seen though.

Ruger1022
01-17-2012, 04:51 AM
Rare....but out there.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=26880

Cool vids

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeHOKL-c090

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S50-gtrh3r8

sheephunter
01-17-2012, 09:34 AM
We had some were i grew up years ago, they were cross breed with the neighbors black dog that ran the country side. The head on this one sure looks like it is cross breed of some kind.

Tales of wolves and coyotes naturally crossbreeding with domestic dogs are for the most part greatly exaggerated. Most often, strange looking or coloured wolves and coyotes are nothing more than strange looking wolves and coyotes. Colour variations like this exist in all species.

yamaha 1
01-17-2012, 09:39 AM
I heard there is alot in the east but not in Alberta. Very cool, I wish a few were up this way. We have the black wolves up here and I'm still trying to get one. I shot at 6 different black wolves before (running shots mostly) I did wound one and I looked forever for that one, never found it. O well I will get one some day we have lost up here.

walking buffalo
01-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Tales of wolves and coyotes naturally crossbreeding with domestic dogs are for the most part greatly exaggerated. Most often, strange looking or coloured wolves and coyotes are nothing more than strange looking wolves and coyotes. Colour variations like this exist in all species.

Yes and No.... and Maybe.

Be careful guys, F&W may determine that shooting black coyotes or wolves will cause an "Artificial" gentetic selection within the species. :sign0161:

A dry read, But the conclusions are accepted in the wildlife genetics community.

The black (melanistic) fur color gene (KB) in our wolves and coyotes is most likely from domesticated dogs, believed to be introduced from dogs that came to NA with humans via Beringia 12-14,000 years ago.

Molecular and Evolutionary History of Melanism in North American Gray Wolves

...KB ( the allele causing melanistic expressions) was introduced into North American wolves from dogs, not vice versa.

The dog was domesticated between 15,000 and 40,000 years ago in East Asia from gray wolves and we estimate that KB is at least 46,886 years old (95% confidence limit: 12,779 to 121,182 years); therefore, we cannot distinguish whether KB arose before or after domestication. However, if KB arose in Old World wolves before domestication, our data indicate that it must have been lost from the gene pool and reacquired in North America, perhaps from Native American dogs that accompanied humans across the Bering Strait 12,000 to 14,000 years ago....

As in black dogs and melanistic wolves, CBD103ΔG23 was associated with coat color in 67 coyotes (6 black and 61 gray, Table 1 and table S2). These findings suggest three possible evolutionary histories. First, the 3-bp deletion may be relatively old, having occurred in a canid ancestor more than 1 million years ago before the divergence of coyotes from wolves. Second, the 3-bp deletion may have occurred more recently in one of the species, followed by introgression into the others. Finally, the 3-bp deletion may represent a mutational hotspot, having recurred independently in coyotes, wolves, and dogs.

sheephunter
01-17-2012, 10:24 AM
Yes and No.... and Maybe.

]

LOL...I was kind of referring to the last couple centuries or so.

albertadeer
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
LOL...I was kind of referring to the last couple centuries or so.

My grandpa had a boarder collie that years ago was bred by a coyote. Us grand kids loved the puppies, then one weekend they were all gone. My grandpa said he let them go...I think i know now where they went.

But they didnt really look like coyotes...Just mutty funny collie puppys.

But not often you will find one out in the wild that is a crossbreed. From what i have heard, its male coyotes that impregnate female farm dogs.

ganderblaster
01-17-2012, 11:59 AM
One of my uncles dogs went feral and thought it was a coyote there is definitely dogs and coyotes that take it to far on there first date around where I live

BigJon
01-17-2012, 02:11 PM
I seen a black coyote in eastern Canada a long time ago. It appeared to be all black. Since then I have seen two (one dead and one alive at a distance) that had alot of black on them but were not entirely black.

Rigby
01-17-2012, 02:55 PM

Well it was in my freezer it is now at the taxidermist getting all tanned up, but I'll see if I can dig up a pick. I also have trail cam pics of some black yotes. I'll try and find them aswell. I missed one a few years ago and have been trying to kill one for the last 4 years. See them every year in one small area. The one I have a friend shot on his farm.

Rigby
01-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Well i dug them up. Here they are.
The one my friend killed and gave to me for he is not a hunter just a farmer killing yotes around his cows.
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/Rigby_2010/blackyote.jpg
My trail cam pics of another one.
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/Rigby_2010/MDGC2104.jpg
http://i1016.photobucket.com/albums/af286/Rigby_2010/MDGC2114.jpg

The cooter
01-17-2012, 04:40 PM
Great pic Rigby.

creeky
01-18-2012, 06:00 PM
Nice pics Rigby, thnx.

nof60
01-18-2012, 06:22 PM
maybe it was eating these

scruffy
01-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Friend of mine shot a pure white coyote. He won't mount anything but did get it tanned. What an amazing creature that would be to have mounted. I have seen a melanistic rock chuck long ago.

Rigby
01-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Great pic Rigby.

Thanks guys! I really hope to put him on the ground one day for I would really like to get him full mounted. I had a chance to kill him 2 summers ago but I let him go hoping to get him with a better coat. Maybe this year I'll get him.

deerskin
01-20-2012, 10:44 AM

Never met a F&W officer that didn't hunt at one time or another...

bowtech3006
01-20-2012, 11:30 AM
I know of quite a few black colored coyotes & I even know which farmers dog knocked the bitches up. If anyone knows how to throw a picture up via iPhone let me know & I'll post the one I killed

top predator
01-20-2012, 12:45 PM
Have never seen one. I Trapped for 15 years as a hobby in SK growing up as well. I however have seen many foxes with odd color phases...

yamaha 1
01-20-2012, 01:14 PM
Posting this for deeskin.

bowtech3006
01-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Posting this for deeskin.

Actually posted for bowtech3006 thanks yamaha

yamaha 1
01-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Actually posted for bowtech3006 thanks yamaha

Sorry, nice dog. I wish I could get a black