PDA

View Full Version : Someone put a truck through lac la biche...

LacLaBicheNS
01-16-2012, 08:34 PM
I was told someone put a truck through lac la biche last weekend. Drove down to see if I could find out what happened. Sure enough someone put there truck through the ice trying to drive over the ice heaves.. I heard he made it out of the truck ok, but the truck sank 25 feet down to the bottom.

I said in a previous thread it was just a matter of time for someone to go through on lac la biche based on the lack of intelligence I've seen on that lake this year.

fordtruckin
01-16-2012, 08:49 PM
that will be a mistake he doesn't soon forget I'd imagine....lol

dewalt18
01-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Growing up in Invermere I can recall many people losing a vehicle. My all time favorite was the middle aged married ladies Lexus SUV being driven by her boyfriend...
Stupid people always make me smile :)

BGSH
01-16-2012, 10:34 PM
That is good to hear they got out ok, now next step? who comes to tow it out?? and flips the bill? just curious.

densa44
01-17-2012, 08:48 AM
For those that need to know how to do it, here is a method that works.

Build a strong tripod over the hole, put a snatch block on the tripod, run a cable through the block, make sure the hole is big enough for the truck to come through. Get a diver to go down and attach the cable (be safe). Attach the other end to a truck and start pulling, the truck will come up fairly easy, Archimedes law. When it appears out of the hole place lumber over the hole so the truck doesn't fall back in. You can attach another line and pull the truck back over the solid ice.

The truck will start to freeze really quickly.

The boys used to tow it to a nearby dairy barn and leave it for a couple of weeks, and believe it or not they got it running!

The boys from Wolfe Island.

Albertadiver
01-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Get a diver to go down and attach the cable (be safe).

Sign me up! I'm ice diver certified.

walleyeca
01-17-2012, 08:53 AM
Scary Stuff!!! I lost the front end of my truck in Battle Lake 2 years ago Im still cleaning out my shorts! and to think we do this for a fish? And women call us stupid huh:scared:

dragon
01-17-2012, 09:00 AM
For those that need to know how to do it, here is a method that works.

Build a strong tripod over the hole, put a snatch block on the tripod, run a cable through the block, make sure the hole is big enough for the truck to come through. Get a diver to go down and attach the cable (be safe). Attach the other end to a truck and start pulling, the truck will come up fairly easy, Archimedes law. When it appears out of the hole place lumber over the hole so the truck doesn't fall back in. You can attach another line and pull the truck back over the solid ice.

The truck will start to freeze really quickly.

The boys used to tow it to a nearby dairy barn and leave it for a couple of weeks, and believe it or not they got it running!

The boys from Wolfe Island.

wrong. this is how you do it... You grab a cell phone (land lines work too) and you call your insurance company and get them to arrange it.

EZM
01-17-2012, 09:10 AM
About 15 years ago - while fishing on Chain Lakes in December I saw an amazing feat of stupidity. We were fishing on the south side not to far from the boat launch. We had drilled a few holes and had anywhwere from 6" to 8" of good clear ice - certainly not enough for a truck. or at least I thought. There was 3"-4" of the milky ice is some areas, on top of the good ice, but certainly not enough for a truck ..... was there? .........

A few hours later a guy with his truck comes down the boat launch and starts driving on the ice directly toward us at a pretty good clip (40km-50km/hr). We were in 15-25 feet of water. As he approached and we started to poop our pants - the ice was cracking and poping and the "wave" could be felt a hundred yards ahead of his approach. It sounded like star wars lazers and a train crash approaching.

As he came closer and closer we began to scater like rats trying desperately to get as far away from this moron as possible so we don't join him on the Darwin Awards list of stupid deaths.

He rolls up, a few feet from where we drilled a half dozen holes, powers down his window, turns down his stereo and asks "how the fishing?" to which, I responded, "there is only 6" of ice in some places out here and probably should'nt be driving on the ice yet".

He just laughed, floored his truck and spun away and headed to the other side of the lake.

I am amazed this guy did not die that day (or maybe he did somewhere else).

It goes to show you - somethimes other people's stupidity can endanger innocent bystanders. Quite an amazing event I will never forget.

Dan Foss
01-17-2012, 09:45 AM
densa did a good job answering how it is done. As for who pays for it, it depends. If one is smart, he/she calls his insurance company before ever driving on ice to ensure coverage. Then the insurance company would pay for it. If not, you have to foot the bill.

thefloormat
01-17-2012, 10:51 AM
anyone gone through this? what about the environmental impact with fuel and oil leaking out, does that have to be cleaned up as well off the surface as I assume it would bubble to the top until it freezes over?

Or is that no concern and it doesnt get cleaned up?

slivers86
01-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Sign me up! I'm ice diver certified.

250$/hr is a good rate to equip stupidity with a second chance I recon - plus your buddy would need a fee too :)

Albertadiver
01-17-2012, 05:01 PM
250$/hr is a good rate to equip stupidity with a second chance I recon - plus your buddy would need a fee too :)

For Ice diving, there's minimum 2 guys underwater (I usually do 3 guys), a rope tender, and two fully suited backup divers, and 1 or 2 guys in drysuits on the ice as well.

$$$$

Kingfisher
01-17-2012, 07:45 PM
I am also a certified diver. But not for under the ice. Getting certified in the fall at Sylvan years ago was cold enough. I would rather stick to the warm waters of the Caribean or Cuba.

But that's why they charge so much for someone to go down and hook a truck up. I would imagine there would be a minimum of 4 hours charge too. As they would have to travel to the lake and set up equipment. Probably at least an 8 hour day or longer by the time they got everything finished up. Times that by 3 or 4 guys and your $250 an hour per person adds up very quickly.

Rob