PDA

View Full Version : Vacation at the Work Channel??

ltw
01-16-2012, 09:00 PM
We are thinking of taking a family vacation to fish the work channel near Prince Rupert in July, planning on staying on one of the barge accomodations near the mouth for a few nights. Having not been there before, I was hoping to get a little insight from people who have to see if it would in fact be a vacation.

If anyone on here has stayed there before, are the accomodations clean and suitable for a family for a few nights? Is it located in a well protected area? How far from the barge to get to some reasonable salmon or halibut fishing?

It looks like the trip up to the mouth is quite well protected so there shouldn't be an issues with rough water, is this the case? Anything else to be aware of or look out for?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

fish gunner
01-16-2012, 10:18 PM
have you been on the chuck before, how large is your craft

ltw
01-17-2012, 07:52 AM
I have been out there but not for several years.

There will actually be two or three of us together with boats. The one we have is a 20' jet, nice high sides and set up good for fishing, just not a deep v. The other boats that would be going are similar size but are true fishing boats with outboards.

fish gunner
01-17-2012, 08:31 AM
I have been out there but not for several years.

There will actually be two or three of us together with boats. The one we have is a 20' jet, nice high sides and set up good for fishing, just not a deep v. The other boats that would be going are similar size but are true fishing boats with outboards.

I dont recommend jets on the salt unless they have a deep v .can be dangerous if you lose power. my friends trued last year they were lucky, some one else near bamfield was not .dont think any body was killed but boat and fishing gear is on the bottom. jets unless designed for salt are river boats.if you study your charts I see no reason you cannot stay in sheltered waters and be safe.just remember if you get over brave the weather will murphy you.it has been many years since I have been on the work channel. one suggestion I have, wait till we have open water ,find a day with poor weather troll family around gull all day call it training, oh and dont forget kill the motor for 10 min to add realism.

bardfromedson
01-17-2012, 12:43 PM
my wife would kill me if she had to stay on the barge out there. its a good place to catch a few zzzz's but thats about it. if your family likes to rough it then it might be ok.

Agb Crash
01-17-2012, 01:21 PM
I have slept on my little 18 ft bayliner at port simpson docks. It is a v hull but hardly deep. Make sure you have a VHF radio and listen to the weather. I will be out that way in May. PM me before you go and I will update you.
We often go and camp out, tie up at docks for the night. Couple of lawn chairs and a cooler for a table cooking my catch on a coleman stove.

Crash

Dark
01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
ITW try the BC Sportfishing forum lots of info on there.
I will be doing the trip in June. There is also a small dock for moorage on Dundas Island
This will be our 3rd trip there. Last time we took a 24ft jet boat and had no problems except for kelp in the jet but we had a stomp grate and a small rake for reaching the kelp the stomp grate would not free.