PDA

View Full Version : Salting minnows?

GOT1!
01-17-2012, 12:29 PM
Does anyone 'SALT' their minnows? Heard they dont get all mushy if you do so. And can last multiple trips better. Is there some skill to doing this or just sprinkle a mitt full of salt in yer minnow tub?

Teamprotz
01-17-2012, 01:14 PM
In the fall , i've left them in the boat for days at a time without refreezing and they stay very firm. Take the lid off , pour in salt , shake it into the voids and put the lid back on. Take them out to thaw the night before you go. As they melt the salt dissolves and life is good.

Jack&7
01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/general/how_to_make_salted_minnows.htm

Kevin_Thunder
01-17-2012, 04:38 PM
http://www.lakemichiganangler.com/tips/general/how_to_make_salted_minnows.htm

That's essentially how I do it for the smelts I pick up at supermarkets.

chubbdarter
01-17-2012, 06:41 PM
I dont like to pour salt on my minnows. I find it makes them un-naturally rigid and the fins burn and wont rehydrate.

I use a sea salt brine...1 tablespoon of sea salt to every gallon of water. Minnows dont yellow, stay firm, brineing helps stop gut rot which causes Floaters.

Every minnow i get wether personally harvested or commercially purchased goes into this brine over night.

If i have a huge surplus that i want to keep to next season i also add 1 tablespoon of Borax to the Brine. Especially true for Emeralds and not as important for Big Spottails.

If you want the very best minnows you need to rebrine and rehydrate at least once more if they are 6 months old. Done right the bait is supple, no signs of discoloring, no scale loss, very few floaters, nice glassy eyes and no fin rot.....and maybe most important smell like fresh killed minnows.

GOT1!
01-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Awesome tips, Thanks! Have you ever fished salted VS. non salted and noticed any kind of preference? I know I like to salt up a dish, so maybe it could outperform unsalted

Alberta Bigbore
01-17-2012, 08:47 PM
I buy a dozen or so Salties in Manitoba on my way back from trips out there and store them for use in Alberta...... even in hot weather, they stay firm, and hold on hooks better. Never really thought to catch my own or take packs of minnows from here and salt them up