PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in the Dominican Republic

sco22
01-17-2012, 12:36 PM
A buddy of mine is gettting married (silly bugger) in the Dominican in March. We would like to get some of the guys that are attending together for a day and do some fishing. Has anyone done any sport fishing there? I have done some fishing in other areas of the Caribbean, but I have not been to the Dominican. We are staying in Punta Cana.

Thanks!

Teamprotz
01-17-2012, 01:10 PM
We got married there in March 1999 , Puerto Plata side. Not a great fishing experience. Went out twice never saw a fish. At least the second crew wasn't hung over a puking all day ! Hopefully the other side is better and more professional.

dagermouth
01-17-2012, 01:23 PM
i was ther 2 years ago in punta cana and went out for a day caught 1 fish in 8 hours and almost everybody got sick and went to bed early, we got them to bring 2 cases of beer on board....not a good idea. overall not worth it for me.

Walleye101
01-17-2012, 01:48 PM
I've fished there twice before and it was very poor. The guides seemed very amateur. We never caught any fish at all. But I would recommend it just for the experience. They supply the booze and food on the boat and it's alot of fun. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work. Especially when the beer's are flowing and the tropical sun is beating down on you.:happy0180:

sems
01-17-2012, 08:54 PM
I just got back from Punta Cana a week ago. Spent one day out fishing, had about 5 hits all day with 5 rods in the water. The crew did not seem like they were very experienced. I have only been out once before on the ocean in Mexico (cancun) and it was much more enjoyable and had an amazing crew. I know that fishing is fishing and its not always good, but they seemed unwilling to put much effort in.

Commander B
01-17-2012, 09:47 PM
Make sure they put the cotter pin in the prop!!!!!! Went out in a penga for some reef fishing and lost the prop about 1k out. Boat operator swam the break and was gone for about 4 hrs. He eventualy retured with a prop from another boat after we anchored and bobbed for the whole time. Two of us that are no stangers to boats had great fishing due to the other two chumming for us....LOL:scared0018: the second day was free and I got a nice Kobia and lots of reef fish.

Two other days off shore with poor sucess, we caught 6 small fish that the name translates to "Two Face" not sure the proper name. Like mentioned above, crews didnt seem interested in fishing.

B.

ABoutdoorsMAN
01-17-2012, 09:48 PM
A buddy of mine is getting married in punta Cana in march too! Your buddy isn't from hinton by chance is he!?
I have emailed 3 fishing charters and heard back from all them. Sounds like they're all similar and have read reviews about them too. Overall it seems most people enjoyed there experience with all of them, but mostly with Mikesmarina. I think if we book I'll try him first.
I'm also taking my extendible and an assortment of hooks to try from shore!

ABoutdoorsMAN
01-17-2012, 09:53 PM
What were you using from shore? Spoons, spinners, rapala, bait & bobber?
Thanks!

Safety D
01-18-2012, 08:13 AM
I wouldnt waste my time fishing it Dominican. It was really dead when we went. Just my 2 cents

sco22
01-18-2012, 10:37 AM
No my buddy is from Edmonton. Thanks for the info from everyone. I will check into Mikemarina and go from there. I don't plan on doing any fishing from shore, but that could change.

Thanks again gents!

Cheers.

Hun-Ter
01-18-2012, 06:34 PM
If you want a good fishing experience, check out this guy. He is really good, hosted the German Sal****er Tournament also. He is in Punta Cana.
http://www.mikesmarina.info/
Enjoy your stay in the DR!

Sundancefisher
01-18-2012, 08:05 PM
Make sure they put the cotter pin in the prop!!!!!! Went out in a penga for some reef fishing and lost the prop about 1k out. Boat operator swam the break and was gone for about 4 hrs. He eventualy retured with a prop from another boat after we anchored and bobbed for the whole time. Two of us that are no stangers to boats had great fishing due to the other two chumming for us....LOL:scared0018: the second day was free and I got a nice Kobia and lots of reef fish.

Two other days off shore with poor sucess, we caught 6 small fish that the name translates to "Two Face" not sure the proper name. Like mentioned above, crews didnt seem interested in fishing.

B.

Did you get pics of the cobia? I love the look of them.

sco22
01-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Thanks Hun-Ter. I will check the website out.

Cheers.

cohod
01-19-2012, 10:39 AM
I was there 4 or 5 years ago and had a great day. Fishing 8 hour day just my wife and myself. We caught several black marlin and lots of Dorado. We had action all day long. This was in late December early January though.
Guides were good spoke very little English and we speak very little Spanish but we still manged to communicate and have some laughs. The boat was a bit old but was clean and seamed to be well maintained.

cohod

sco22
01-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks Cohod. Do you by chance remember the name of the outfit?

Cheers.

Swolf
01-19-2012, 03:16 PM
I stayed at La Romana and 4 of us paid 500$ (each) USD to fish for Marlin. This trip was set up through the Air Canada rep. When we picked up by the guide he barly spoke English until we were out on the water and asked the guide how far we have to go until we get to "the spot" for Marlin fishing and he turned around and told us " no Marlin.... Barracuda.."

The guy had 4 rods and 4 hooks and 4 bottles of rum. We caught no fish and our lines ended up tangled way beyond salvage so we pulled them in and quit fishing.

I was so mad!!!!!!!! It was a huge waste of time and cash.

I recommend drinking 2 bottles of Moma Wana and laying on the Beach.

cohod
01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Thanks Cohod. Do you by chance remember the name of the outfit?

Cheers.

Sorry I don't.
I even went through a bunch of photo's to see if I had a shot of the name boat or outfit.

cohod

NUK SOO KOW
01-19-2012, 09:08 PM
I got married there last April. Punt cana side. I thought the fishing was fun. We only went for a half day, had two on( they got off) and two bites and a few chasers. My guide as happy as it as the most action they had seen in awhile. We stayed closer to shore and the other boats went deep. We were the only boat that seen fish that day ! My guide was good he knew where to find the fish we just could not get them in! We all had a great time and would do it again.

gnugen
05-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Just returned from Dominican Beach. If you can pack a travel rod and want to fish from shore. Head to shore in front of the Fishing Punta Cana booking office at 18°41'34.4"N 68°25'21.9"W and cast a small bait rig with shrimp from 5:30pm onwards. The fishing boats has docked by then and chummed a ton of bait from the day's fishing. You'll catch small bone fish etc. Nothing trophy size but you'll save a few bucks at the same time.

58thecat
05-14-2014, 11:22 AM
I found the crews there very unknowledgeable, had been out with a so called professional guide, not a fish, went back got a guy to take me out on a small catamaran, paid him 20 bucks and caught 4 fish in an hour. We were at cayo laventado, small island, like someone mentioned earlier bring your own fishing tackle and cast from shore, kayaks etc save your big bucks for other fishing dedicated destinations.

buckbrushoutdoors
05-14-2014, 01:29 PM
I was there in april. Beautiful place but not a fishing destination. Go scuba diving instead and check out the reifs at catalina island.

quotester1964
05-14-2014, 02:58 PM
Agree DR is not a good fishing location.. at least the north side.. went out twice and only caught one fish.. 2nd time I watched the crew and they seem happy just to do a circle pattern and did not seem interested in locating fish.. now Cuba that was a different story, lol.

Friends went fishing on the south side of the island and had a blast..

alkalisavage300
05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
Buddy got married there first week in April this spring. We lined up our group fishing trip thru the excursions desk at the Hard Rock resort. Can't remember the name of the outfit.
I caught a 25 lb Mahi Mahi in our boat and the other boatload caught a 15 lb Mahi and a 15lb Barracuda. Good experience was had by all.

alkalisavage300
05-14-2014, 11:12 PM
Blue Travel Bavaro was the name of the outfit.