PDA

View Full Version : can anyone recommend a guide in quadra island

sportster
01-17-2012, 02:38 PM
heading to quadra island first week of july. can anyone recommend a guide or outfit on the island. also is there some good fresh water action on the island. just wondering if i should bring my 5 weight. have fished with some guides out of campbell river before. just kinda looking for something that leaves out of quadra island. not obmg

rickinen
01-21-2012, 12:40 AM
Hi , may I help you ? I'm a Quadra resident fishing guide with 30 years guiding as my main vocation. You mentioned OBMG so I'll say I started out in 1981 at April Point and worked there through the 80's and most of the 90s, then went independent, occasional guiding for OBMG after they bought the Lodge. At one time or another I've guided for, or brought clients to, pretty much all the lodges etc, around Quadra, Campbell River, Stuart Island , Bute Inlet etc. My boat is a Grady Gulfsream, over 9ft beam, pro equipment, and all that.
I can give some advice about freshwater fishing but I'm too focused on sal****er to keep in touch with it . And I'm not licensed to guide freshwater. However, I can get good info from locals. By all means , bring your flyrod. But trout fishing is slower after the first hot days when the ants hatch and the trout bite silly for a short time and then settle down for a slower summer. There are some ocean sea-run cutthrout opportunities , catch and release.
If you appreciate light tackle, there is also shallow salmon fishing, a forgotten art. A #5 rod is too light, a #9 fits, and an 8 will work. Trolling is more productive than casting, and I have light rods for this. Shallow fishing is not usually as productive as deep fishing in recent years, so it is overlooked. But it is a specialty of mine , its kick and worth a look .
Also, perhaps you will appreciate salmon fishing without a flasher on the line, just a dummy on the downrigger wire, which is my standard setup. Just you, a light rod and the fish.
I'm new to any fishing forum. A bit behind in computer technology. A friend told me about your post. Hope to hear from you and be of service.

thunderheart
01-21-2012, 07:15 AM
heading to quadra island first week of july. can anyone recommend a guide or outfit on the island. also is there some good fresh water action on the island. just wondering if i should bring my 5 weight. have fished with some guides out of campbell river before. just kinda looking for something that leaves out of quadra island. not obmg

hello from quadra ...

can put you onto a number one independant here on the rock. he has all his own equiptment and very very reliable.

wayne