PDA

View Full Version : ice augers

tightlines
01-18-2012, 10:22 AM
Ive been looking to purchase a new ice auger,but what to buy?? Jiffy, Strikemaster, Eskimo,etc...... Which augers are the ones to buy with minimal problems?? Any input is appreciated!

BEL
01-18-2012, 10:39 AM
Within the last 3 years I have purchased 3 different brand new ice augers. Strikemaster for myself, Eskimo for my daughter and a Jiffy for my son. All three cut real well. the only difference is the starting procedure. Don't get me wrong, they all start quickly. The Jiffy is ackward to start. In order to get it started you have to give it some throttle with your left hand and pull the recoil with the right. Ackward. Check it out before buying. BEL

Dan Foss
01-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Midas well ask a group of guys what truck is better. I think buying new it all comes down to personal preference and experience. And what your willing to pay.

common complaints against the jiffy's are that they are too loud, Plastic pieces break really easily. The plastic quick connect shaft peice that connects the auger to the powerhead breaks easily. and they generally are a little more expensive than the then Eskimos.

Personally I havent heard alot of issues with the Eskimos. small things here and there but there are definitely not as many people complaining on a regular basis about theyre eskimos (in comparison to jiffys) Since they started hitting the market the eskimos have gotten louder but still not near as loud as the jiffy.

I know the Eskimos are outselling Jiffy this year. I am super happy with mine. Starts up with 1 pull. not super heavy and i dont think i have ever ran it at full throttle. no need to

stinkynuts
01-18-2012, 10:49 AM
Ya same as above I used to be a Jiffy man but this year I bought my self a z51 shark 10" it starts well has lots of power and cuts really nice and 379 at the fishing hole was a good price too so now I am an Eskimo man

Kevin_Thunder
01-18-2012, 10:52 AM
What's your budget?

If you're willing to spend a bit of money, look into an Ice Gator powerhead. No gas to mix, only one moving part, loads of torque, quiet, no fumes, instant start up and with a good auger (Nils comes to mind) it'll cut through ice with little effort. Compared to a gas auger, by the time a person manages to start up the auger (~3 pulls) and drill a hole, I'm already several holes ahead. I've managed to cut through 40-50 holes through 18" of ice in one outing with power to spare.

That said over long trips where you won't have access to a charger, a gas auger would be better since you can carry extra fuel with you.

fish gunner
01-18-2012, 10:53 AM
dont buy any new auger they all have issues, find an old second hand jiffy30 or old eskimo they are far more durable and they have very few cheep sh&+y plastic china parts. if you need new the caroline store has a brand new jiffy 30 lots of $$ but you can will it to your kids.lol

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-18-2012, 10:56 AM
I have an old jiffy love it wouldn't change it for the world .

Shark 51CC 10" Auger *is tough to beat for cost and power For 350.00 you can't go wrong and 10" drill to boot .

The Fish King
01-18-2012, 11:07 AM
I have am older jiffy 30 and an older strikmaster mag 2000. Both cut great but I love the 3HP engine on the jiffy (plus some modifications) for speed...however, it is heavy as all hell as the motor casing is made of steel. The strikemaster has no problems either...starts first pull every time and the little 2HP tecumseh cuts pretty well.

Basically, they are all better than a hand auger and it all comes down to preference.