PDA

View Full Version : Fishing vs Barometric pressure

Shmag
01-19-2012, 08:54 AM
So just curious how many people check barometric pressure before going fishing. I never did pay any attention to it or moon phases either. But in the last couple yrs a buddy keeps insisting i follow the barometric pressure reading before deciding on going fishing. If i had a slow day, and he hears about it, he will call and say well why didnt you check the pressure....."Its high you know",lol

So now its cold...strike 1
Looks like the pressure is high...strike 2

But reading the recent threads of guys going out during the cold snap, sounds like the fishing hasn't been too bad, and the pressure has been high for about a week now.

So, any beleivers out there, anybody check the pressure religously before going out??? Is there a certain pressure range that will keep you at home???

EZM
01-19-2012, 09:02 AM
I think barometric pressure is one of MANY factors, that, when combined, can provide a reasonable indication of what fishing will be like. You probably have to consider, depending on the season, daylight, water temp, current (If applicable), food/forage cycles etc....

Any one indicator, like barametric pressure, by itself, won't tell you the whole story.

my 2 cents.

highwood
01-19-2012, 09:07 AM
So just curious how many people check barometric pressure before going fishing. I never did pay any attention to it or moon phases either. But in the last couple yrs a buddy keeps insisting i follow the barometric pressure reading before deciding on going fishing. If i had a slow day, and he hears about it, he will call and say well why didnt you check the pressure....."Its high you know",lol

So now its cold...strike 1
Looks like the pressure is high...strike 2

But reading the recent threads of guys going out during the cold snap, sounds like the fishing hasn't been too bad, and the pressure has been high for about a week now.

So, any beleivers out there, anybody check the pressure religously before going out??? Is there a certain pressure range that will keep you at home???

If you're headed to Utik, pressure seems to make quite a difference.

g_trout
01-19-2012, 09:09 AM
Is it absolute pressure that he follows or does it matter if it is rising of falling?

Just curious.

Shmag
01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Is it absolute pressure that he follows or does it matter if it is rising of falling?

Just curious.

I beleive he just goes off the Barometric pressure only.

If he has a good morning and the fish shut down for the afternoon, i would put money on it that he will say " The pressure climbed fast in the afternoon"..lol

ORV
01-19-2012, 10:10 AM
i think the opposite is true.
good fishing for high pressure days
crappy for low pressure days.
last year we were in low pressure most of ice fishing season
& it sucked everywhere we tried.

my .02 cents

orv.

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 10:26 AM
I watch for a falling or rising barometer but have not used the actual pressure as an indicator of fish activity,I have found the solunar times coincide with changes in pressure on occasion.in my experience a falling barometer has produced banner days on the water,but one must be prepared for foul weather.on kootaney when every body was running in to avoid poor weather we were running out to enjoy an empty lake and fantastic fishing.I am fortunate to have spent most of my life on the water so do not recommend this for the inexperienced or faint of heart.and some of our inland lakes here in alberta will have you in trouble quick time if one is unprepared.gull and minawanka are two I donnot recommend the inexperienced try this on.murphy never sleeps.

highwood
01-19-2012, 10:28 AM
I watch for a falling or rising barometer but have not used the actual pressure as an indicator of fish activity,I have found the solunar times coincide with changes in pressure on occasion.in my experience a falling barometer has produced banner days on the water,but one must be prepared for foul weather.on kootaney when every body was running in to avoid poor weather we were running out to enjoy an empty lake and fantastic fishing.I am fortunate to have spent most of my life on the water so do not recommend this for the inexperienced or faint of heart.and some of our inland lakes here in alberta will have you in trouble quick time if one is unprepared.gull and minawanka are two I donnot recommend the inexperienced try this on.murphy never sleeps.

X2. Gull can get scary in the blink of an eye.

Dan Foss
01-19-2012, 10:40 AM
i think the opposite is true.
good fishing for high pressure days
crappy for low pressure days.
last year we were in low pressure most of ice fishing season
& it sucked everywhere we tried.

my .02 cents

orv.

x2. that said I also look for changes. I find that changes in pressure can turn off fish very quickly

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 10:40 AM

I have untold experience sailing and gull is the only body of water I have ever broached a sailboat on scary doesn't even do her justice.

wbaj
01-19-2012, 05:57 PM

So can Slave. I actually saved a guy from getting wet when his motor would not start in the middle of 6 footers, he was so happy he paid for my boat mooring fees!

Sooner
01-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Calling Lake gets nasty real quick too. Some of the biggest swells I have been on. One minute a storm is far out to the west, 10 mins later you better be heading for shore.

SalmoTrutta
01-19-2012, 06:57 PM
Most fish have swim bladders/air bladders that help them maintain bouncy and swim at a certain level in the water column. When the atmospheric pressure changes, it will cause the fish to move either up or down in the water column briefly to regulate and maintain the desired pressure. So pressure changes do indeed get the fish moving, but does not necessarily make the fishing better or worse.

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Most fish have swim bladders/air bladders that help them maintain bouncy and swim at a certain level in the water column. When the atmospheric pressure changes, it will cause the fish to move either up or down in the water column briefly to regulate and maintain the desired pressure. So pressure changes do indeed get the fish moving, but does not necessarily make the fishing better or worse.

is it possable a rising barometer makes a fishes swim bladder shrink making them feel hungry? ? just a thought.

SalmoTrutta
01-19-2012, 07:20 PM
is it possable a rising barometer makes a fishes swim bladder shrink making them feel hungry? ? just a thought.

I;ve seen in Altantic salmon a sudden change from low pressure to high pressure, drives them deep and turns them off. BUT, Atlantic salmon do not typically feed once they are in fresh water so hunger should not be a factor. Ive also seen Pike turn on like crazy after a small storm at Travers Res. best Pike fishing Ive ever had, they were pounding flies right on the surface. Alot of times quite a few things change with the pressure, wind,rain, sun/cloud..hard to pin point, I think it could be a mix of everything. Ive been out on days where the fishing should be great and isn;t and vice versa. I've never been one to take lunar phases, pressure, temps, wind, water temps, blah blah blah, into consideration to determine if i'm going fishing or not, I just go, but I will take notice of changing conditions, especially if it dramatically effects the fishing.

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 07:33 PM
I do take all of the above into account but never let them stop me heading out,fish never follow mans idea of when to bite. as you say they defy all the rules as we know them.and have had good days on the water when every indication pionts other wise.

Weedy1
01-19-2012, 07:38 PM
My standard reply:

This is the way I see it.

1 Atmospheric pressure = 101.325KPa = 406.782 inch of water = 33.898 feet of water

Atmospheric pressure fluctuations are typically no more than a few KPa in a day but for illustrative purposes lets say the pressure change is 7 KPa.

7KPa * 406.782 inch of water / 101.325KPa = 28.1 inches.

If a fish were to swim up or down 28.1 inches this would have the same physical effect on the fish as if the barometric pressure changed 7KPa.

frpd
01-19-2012, 07:48 PM
I have ice fished for perch for several years and have been rewarded many times.

I did notice that lowering or low pressure increased the catch rate. IMO

SalmoTrutta
01-19-2012, 07:58 PM
My standard reply:

This is the way I see it.

1 Atmospheric pressure = 101.325KPa = 406.782 inch of water = 33.898 feet of water

Atmospheric pressure fluctuations are typically no more than a few KPa in a day but for illustrative purposes lets say the pressure change is 7 KPa.

7KPa * 406.782 inch of water / 101.325KPa = 28.1 inches.

If a fish were to swim up or down 28.1 inches this would have the same physical effect on the fish as if the barometric pressure changed 7KPa.

take into consideration the depth of the water the fish is at ?

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 08:16 PM
thank you for the science lesson, but I rarely bring my calculator fishing have a hard enough time keeping my phone dry. I feel that fish react to a change in the barometer, but have seen no evidence of a steady pressure initially affecting the fish.

Serengeti Charters
01-19-2012, 08:20 PM
I've found, for salmon anyway, not sure about freshwater species, that when the pressure is dropping fish stop biting. As pressure rises or stays constant they're usually pretty hungry. This was really proved couple years back when one day it was non stop action, couldn't get two rods in the water, then low pressure system moved in next day, still marking TONS of fish, and would not bite no matter what...for anyone...pain in the butt

SalmoTrutta
01-19-2012, 08:22 PM
Ive read articles on it, seems the two most favorable theories are: fishing is better on a rising pressure and fishing is better on a steady pressure. All I know for sure is any pressure fishing is better than not fishing.

frpd
01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
You are right. Ever catch your limit in 30 mins with bare hook at the bottom of the hole alot of fun using only 14 inches of line. They were large perch. The limit back then was 30. I kept a few for dinner never frozen delish.

WayneChristie
01-19-2012, 09:19 PM
I do take all of the above into account but never let them stop me heading out,fish never follow mans idea of when to bite. as you say they defy all the rules as we know them.and have had good days on the water when every indication pionts other wise.

My sentiments exactly. If I get a chance to fish I go fishing, but then catching isnt the most important part of it all to me anyways . always nice to catch a lot or some big fish, but thats just icing on the cake. I just love fishing! :sHa_shakeshout:

SalmoTrutta
01-19-2012, 09:42 PM
My sentiments exactly. If I get a chance to fish I go fishing, but then catching isnt the most important part of it all to me anyways . always nice to catch a lot or some big fish, but thats just icing on the cake. I just love fishing! :sHa_shakeshout:

:47b20s0:

outwalking
01-20-2012, 08:09 AM
I have six fish in my aquarium called Weather Loaches. When the pressure drops, they go nuts. It's really, really cool to watch.

Something's going on right now, all six have been active non-stop for two days :)

Shmag
01-20-2012, 08:37 AM

So true

Shmag
01-20-2012, 08:38 AM
I have six fish in my aquarium called Weather Loaches. When the pressure drops, they go nuts. It's really, really cool to watch.

Something's going on right now, all six have been active non-stop for two days :)

Thats awesome....you need to start a thread, to tell us when your fish goes nuts...

Shmag
01-20-2012, 08:40 AM
I have ice fished for perch for several years and have been rewarded many times.

I did notice that lowering or low pressure increased the catch rate. IMO

I also had days on the ice like that

fish gunner
01-20-2012, 08:49 AM
the walleye at the BPS work the same way a friend and I left to hit the bottom of dickson dam after the walleye suddenly came up off the bottom and started to cruise actively we had a good few hours on the water.no idea if we were luckily or good but it worked.

ak-71
01-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Roughly 10m of a water column creates 1 atm of pressure. If you suck ALL air out of the atmosphere fish would go only 10 meters lower. Doesn't happen that often...
When I was a kid we always looked at the pressure changes and found that both rise and drops were bad for walleye kind of a fish we fished for. The technique we used called for relatively stable pressure (typically lower) and some chop on the water. This plus water temperatures and time of the year and what my dad had a filling for were our guides. After a lot of years on the same huge reservoir made my dad very good at finding fish. Lunar phases we considered a witchcraft. Was very far from here though...

BigBuck$
01-20-2012, 11:11 AM
I say watch your sonar more than the weather pattern. Fish will move up and down from one day to another, this may or may not be related to pressure change or moon phase??? Put the right bait where the fish are and they will bite.

Shmag
01-20-2012, 11:16 AM

lol...well my curiousity got the better of me, so i googgled them. Pretty cool, a bit on the ugly side but cool none the less.

Have you ever noticed similarities with their activeness and fishing ???

Kim473
01-21-2012, 06:40 AM
My best perch hunt ever was in the middle of a blizard, east of elk point. Two of us probly caught 200 perch in 3 1/2 hrs. Had to weed out the little ones but sure was fun trying to pull the hook away from them and try to get the bigger ones hooked. Hmmm, much like it is this morning in Edmonton. I bet the perch are bitting good today.

Jack&7
01-21-2012, 08:23 AM
lol...well my curiousity got the better of me, so i googgled them. Pretty cool, a bit on the ugly side but cool none the less.

Have you ever noticed similarities with their activeness and fishing ???

Ya! Really good question! It would be cool to have your very own fishing 'crystal ball'! Kinda like how they say that dogs can predict tornadoes, etc.

If these loaches are any type of indicator...

I GOTTA GET ME SOME!!!

WayneChristie
01-21-2012, 05:37 PM
Ya! Really good question! It would be cool to have your very own fishing 'crystal ball'! Kinda like how they say that dogs can predict tornadoes, etc.

If these loaches are any type of indicator...

I GOTTA GET ME SOME!!!

and if they dont work, use them for perch bait! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

greylynx
01-21-2012, 05:45 PM
and if they dont work, use them for perch bait! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Remember: they are loaches not roaches... for you insect or funny stuff smoking guys.

Please don't use them for bait. The loach may not survive our cold weather, but some parasite in them might.