PDA

View Full Version : buying composting worms for bait

lyallpeder
01-19-2012, 06:23 PM
so the wife has been doing the worm composting thing in the house for the last 2 years. I am thinking there might be a by-product here my question is...

would you would use/purchase small worms they are much smaller than some of the ones you get at the bait shop, about 1 1/4 inches long.

I dont fish much but maybe they might be good for some smaller fish? I am just asking your thoughts because she says I cant sell her worms so I would have to start my own farm

thanks Lyall

hillbillyreefer
01-19-2012, 06:26 PM
so the wife has been doing the worm composting thing in the house for the last 2 years. I am thinking there might be a by-product here my question is...

would you would use/purchase small worms they are much smaller than some of the ones you get at the bait shop, about 1 1/4 inches long.

I dont fish much but maybe they might be good for some smaller fish? I am just asking your thoughts because she says I cant sell her worms so I would have to start my own farm

thanks Lyall

I use my reg wigglers for bait,they are pretty small, I usually use 2/hook. There are better species to use.

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
they work great for perch but must be stored in damp moss for a week to make them tough enough to stay on a hook for any length of time.

horsetrader
01-19-2012, 09:38 PM
they work great for perch but must be stored in damp moss for a week to make them tough enough to stay on a hook for any length of time.

If you put egg shells in you compost the calcium will toughen the worms. Just remember you should not use raw egg shells. Either use peeled hard boiled shells or if raw cracked just boil the shells for 5 min then crush them.

fish gunner
01-19-2012, 09:46 PM
If you put egg shells in you compost the calcium will toughen the worms. Just remember you should not use raw egg shells. Either use peeled hard boiled shells or if raw cracked just boil the shells for 5 min then crush them.

good to know,will try in the future I keep a worm farm for winter this could be a big help getting moss can be tricky at this time of year.lol

Dgirl
01-20-2012, 10:45 AM
moss = flower shop. Pick something up for the better half too.

fish gunner
01-20-2012, 12:14 PM
moss = flower shop. Pick something up for the better half too.

lol yes well you see my better half is a super green thumb and gets miffed at cut flowers. I have to make sure that the flowers I buy her do not kill the plant so I have had to buy only potted plants.house is already full of summer plants brought in. thank you for the moss info.

Geezle
01-20-2012, 02:01 PM
good to know,will try in the future I keep a worm farm for winter this could be a big help getting moss can be tricky at this time of year.lol

Pet stores that deal with reptiles/snakes usually carry sphagnum moss :)

hillbillyreefer
01-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Use shredded newspaper instead of moss.

fish gunner
01-20-2012, 03:48 PM
Use shredded newspaper instead of moss.

news paper is fine,I use it sparing in my worm farm but moss is used to get the worm toughnd to stay on the hook better. paper in my experience will not help in this instance.

OrigNL cast
01-20-2012, 03:53 PM
Impressive response. OK experts, whats the best way to maximize the life of maggots? I hate the long drive to pick up bait.

fish gunner
01-20-2012, 04:03 PM
get an old tupperware contaner poke a dozen or so holes in lid fill with a small hand full of oat meal. inspect maggots before buying the fresh ones dont have a dark line on the body.sift out wood chips place maggots in container place container in fridge. preston maggots good for 2 weeks

lyallpeder
01-20-2012, 09:08 PM
Thank you for the tips

I will try the egg shells but shhh don't tell her what I am up to lol!!

horsetrader
01-20-2012, 09:22 PM
get an old tupperware contaner poke a dozen or so holes in lid fill with a small hand full of oat meal. inspect maggots before buying the fresh ones dont have a dark line on the body.sift out wood chips place maggots in container place container in fridge. preston maggots good for 2 weeks

We use cornmeal or corn flour as well.

PS if you catch wild big snails put them in cornmeal for a few day their ready for cooking and eating the cornmeal cleans then out ..... good eating

Geezle
01-21-2012, 08:05 AM
We use cornmeal or corn flour as well.

PS if you catch wild big snails put them in cornmeal for a few day their ready for cooking and eating the cornmeal cleans then out ..... good eating

Wheat bran works well too...also for mealworms :)