PDA

View Full Version : Some pictures from work (jasper pipeline)

Phantom
02-18-2008, 03:46 PM
here are some pictures from work. We are now done the job there (coating crew) and are no longer needed so im on the hunt for work again...really sucks...any pointers of where to go yet again appreciated...ps...I do not have a vehicle so would have to bus etc....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF0608.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF0578.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF0590.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF0612.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF0598.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/ffisherman/DSCF0580.jpg

Alberta Bigbore
02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
if you got a class one for over 2 years experience, or over 200,000 miles ( or is it KMs? i forget) experience, we are dying for another Turnpike driver. other restrictions apply, but damit someone needs to get hired so i can take more time off!!!

Alberta Bigbore
02-18-2008, 04:56 PM
and if im not mistaken, we are looking for more B.C. runners, 2 trips a week. And if i am correct, a in-city driver position or two will be popping up Soon

Phantom
02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
no I just have class 5 with air brakes.....always been interested in driveing truck...was taking my class 3 course last year but the day before my test I broke my foot and blew all the tendons etc in it....and since then havnt had the cash or anything to go back and get it.

I have a ton of tickets from radiation safety, first aid for b.c. and alberta, h2s, and about 12 other tickets lol....

Alberta Bigbore
02-18-2008, 05:11 PM
yeah, we just run 53 foot dry vans. an office in Sherwood park, Calgary and Vancouver.

shootermcgavin
02-18-2008, 05:19 PM
I did a bunch of fisheries work fro that project a few years back.... amazing area to work in. Great fishing, especially when you have a helicopter fly you into areas no one has been before!

I remember having so many different close encounters with wildlife wile hiking around it was great.... Decent amount of nussies in town too!

mariandeer
02-18-2008, 05:33 PM
Phantom - What a beautiful and cold place to work....:)

Phantom
02-18-2008, 06:09 PM
oh its very nice to work there...had or cold times where it got to -54 where we were...now that was teeth shattering.....im trying to get on with north american construction but there laying guys off and preparing for breakup.....so im on the hunt right now for new work somewhere...anywhere lol...

KyleM
02-18-2008, 06:58 PM
Do you know how to frame?

Phantom
02-18-2008, 07:13 PM
never done it.....construction never was my thing for some reason....been in the oilfield the past 4 years...done everything from pipelining, safety coordinator/supervisor, 1-5 and 12 ton picker operator, plant operator, cement coating on pipelines, ran bobcats, loaders and a little bit of hoe experience, apprenticed welding as a second job for over a year. I have been a foreman and ran my own crew for a couple pipeline jobs.

bowchaser
02-18-2008, 07:30 PM
go to Fort Mac, any of the oil sands ops would give you a job...

catnthehat
02-18-2008, 07:59 PM
go to Fort Mac, any of the oil sands ops would give you a job...
He's already got resumes out up here.
Weird everybody needs men, but they need experienced people and don't seem to willing to train.

Cat

Phantom
02-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I would go there in a flash...I have gone online and emailed the heck outta them with resumes...have good referances etc...no reply..iv been tryign to get out there for a while:(

shootermcgavin
02-18-2008, 08:35 PM
Ya it is funny how there is this ``alberta labour shortage``

The truth of it is they want experienced and underpaid workers.. its BS

Phantom
02-18-2008, 09:25 PM
true......sucks for guys like me who are up for learning anything and do have a decent amount of experience .....not enough I guess though:confused:

sirmike68
02-18-2008, 09:56 PM
:confused: Start an apprenticeship for a trade and get your papers? Pay is great and they'll be knocking on your doors not you the thiers. Simple as that.

Phantom
02-18-2008, 09:57 PM
well I was welding as a second job for quite some time...wouldn't mind going for a heavy duty mechanic....but don't you have to be indentured (sp) to receive your papers and such....

BUD
02-18-2008, 11:59 PM
Get a Union job , and a good pension plan.

gunslinger
02-19-2008, 12:09 AM
get on a drilling rig and quit having to worry about work, everyone is hiring right now , there apprenticing as a trade on the rigs now, and the pay for you starter guys is unreal.any drilling contractor or service contracter would be willing to take you in a heart beat

Phantom
02-19-2008, 12:31 AM
iv had many calls from rigs but as soon as they hear I have no vehicle they say they will get back to me and they dont and I call and leave messages....soo...

KyleM
02-19-2008, 08:36 AM
It is pretty tough to get a job anywhere in this country with no vehicle.
I would say just buy a beater to get to work and back.

Also, tons of framing crews pick-up and drop off their employees.

I would say get into it now because in the next year or so things are
going to explode up around Grande Prairie.

ctd
02-19-2008, 09:19 AM
Try the service rigs. They don't care if you have a vehicle or not,
You bus everywhere or the driller/operator picks you up. Then you drive the work vehicles around.

Donny Bear
02-19-2008, 09:39 AM
Send me your Resume again an I will put it out with our contractors here in Waterton again I have no Idea why you haven't been called we bus to work and are hiring everyday :huh: As I recal the res looked ok.

shootermcgavin
02-19-2008, 02:45 PM
a vehicle is a must.... get a beater to get to and from interviews and training at the least.

Also some of those drilling companies start to wonder about a guy if he doesnt have a vehicle especially if your not a downtown office type of guy.. Why wouldnt you have a vehicle?

diesel fixer
02-19-2008, 04:50 PM
If you want to get a job in the trades you usually have to start out as a labourer and if you show common sense and a desire to work hard then you usually will catch someones eye and they would most likely endenture you. I am a field mechanic for finning and they are always looking for labourers and warehouse workers up here. If you have your resume together send it to the spot on the website for online resumes at www.finning.ca

TBark
02-19-2008, 06:50 PM
My son is 19 yrs old.
He has 2 full years (this spring) under his belt as an Iron worker apprentise.
So he will be in year 3 soon. 6 weeks of school each spring too.
His wage reflects the stage of his apprentiship. Very good for his age.
Although he has to be in camp up in Fort Mac, still very good for a kid who is not yet at age 20.
We're very proud of him.
Maybe a camp setting would suit you too Phantom.

TBark

Phantom
02-19-2008, 07:16 PM
I would buy a beater vehicle but I need money to do that and am just scrapeing buy right now...I would more then be happy to take a camp job to

knight hunter
02-20-2008, 08:36 AM
Have you checked out your nearest canada Manpower office? how about those Rock trucks that are in a couple of your pic's. Ever run one of them? I know a couple of guy's up in mcmurray driving them and they say they are usually looking for driver's.

TheClash
02-20-2008, 09:27 AM
no town jobs to get for a few months to get some scrape together to get a car and get yourself mobile and employable?......

Phantom
02-20-2008, 11:11 AM
im been in one of those trucks for about 10 min just to move it around...very neat and would enjoy driving one of those.....I like operating or driving anything.

and the only town jobs here are mcdonalds, walmart etc....cant pay rent with those place

TheClash
02-20-2008, 11:14 AM
guess i misunderstood...my bad...i thought you were jobless....seems to me any job pays more rent than no job at all.

Phantom
02-20-2008, 11:17 AM
mcdonalds here pays 9 bucks an hour to start.....i have to pay $920 a month rent, plus power...sorry wont do it and why go that way with all the qualifications and experience I have in the oilfield....something will come up

TheClash
02-20-2008, 11:23 AM
like i said..i thought you were absolutely jobless.....

Walleyes
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
You know Phantom with all do respect its getting a little tiresome reading your posts on looking for work.. Instead of asking where to look all the time just go back and search all your posts you will get all the answers you need.. And just a thought here but get a job and stick with it.. Hey its work its not supposed to be fun or easy thats why they call it work..

rincon
02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Must not be that hungry?

TheClash
02-20-2008, 11:29 AM
my job is fun!! haha

Phantom
02-20-2008, 11:30 AM
I never have a problem sticking with a job..the current job I just finished I was just needed for the one project.

I just threw it in there that if anyone hears anyone looking let me know when I posted pictures....

JohninAB
02-20-2008, 11:33 AM
Phantom, justed pm'ed ya.

Phantom
02-20-2008, 11:36 AM
yup, thanks man

600twin
02-20-2008, 01:22 PM
"....been in the oilfield the past 4 years...done everything from pipelining, safety coordinator/supervisor, 1-5 and 12 ton picker operator, plant operator, cement coating on pipelines, ran bobcats, loaders and a little bit of hoe experience, apprenticed welding"
"I never have a problem sticking with a job"
I'm with Walleyes on this one. Your averaging about 4 months a job, probably less with the amount of time your on here whinning about not having one. Gunslinger has given you leads twice now but i guess your to good to run the grub box to camp. At 9 dollars an hour for 40 hrs a week x 4 weeks is 1440 , that would pay your rent, but i guess you want to start at the top instead.

It's always easy to see who the good hands are in the patch ,there the ones that are kept working when it's slow, their not sent down the road kicking turds when it slows down.

Phantom
02-20-2008, 01:39 PM
actually when I worked with allstar oilfield in town here is when I ran pickers, welded, was on the pipeline and ran my crew. It was not all at different companies so get your facts right before you say anything. Have you seen my resume? no you have not. Iv actually been on the phone all day and running around to companies. So no i'm not sitting on here all day. You have a problem with me PM me.

Phantom
02-20-2008, 01:41 PM
and I am not asking to start at the top. Did I ever say that? no!. I have better qualifications and tickets then to be a grub box runner. even if it takes a week or two something will come up and some of the good guys on here have helped me with that and they know I appreciate it.

gopherslayer
02-20-2008, 03:19 PM
" At 9 dollars an hour for 40 hrs a week x 4 weeks is 1440 , that would pay your rent,

Try 1080 after deductions. Tell me anywhere in alberta you can find a place for under..lets go low 750 a month? Leaves you 250 for bills and food???

You can not live on 9 bucks an hour here, right now. My daughter is trying. :(

Heck, some of our helpers have trouble at 16

Phantom
02-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Try 1080 after deductions. Tell me anywhere in alberta you can find a place for under..lets go low 750 a month? Leaves you 250 for bills and food???

You can not live on 9 bucks an hour here, right now. My daughter is trying. :(

Heck, some of our helpers have trouble at 16

THANK YOU gopherslayer,

finally someone, its not only rent to its food, power etc....some people who have a good job and are fine dont realize it. I also have tried living off of 15 an hour in alberta...its hard...

shootermcgavin
02-20-2008, 03:37 PM
Get your resume buffed up and then call every god damn company you would be interested in working for, ask to speak to their HR person directly, talk to them about getting a job, ask for their email or fax. Send em your resume even if they say they aren't looking... do this all day all night and then call each and every one of them back 2 days later.... that should keep you busy for a while... and i cant imagine you will be left without a job if you actually do that. even if its something your not interested in it will do the trick until something comes up.

have you called the drilling companies? last i heard they were slowing down but if you are persistent than its only a matter of time... should not take more than a week if you are serious.

Get the oil and gas directory and call every drilling company, every pipeline company, every company!

But thats true its amazing how many ****ty companies are out there screwing people any chance they get or paying **** wages....

Phantom
02-20-2008, 03:41 PM
im all over that shooter, been doing it all day. Have a good lead with precision but am waiting to hear back from the guy to see if I can bus it to where ever they need me

KyleM
02-20-2008, 04:02 PM
Move to edmonton and drive a cab

Phantom
02-20-2008, 04:06 PM
sorry to disappoint you but id prefer a job that will take me somewhere in life and would prefer if people would not put down smart ***** jobs like you did.

:wave:

KyleM
02-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Fine, move to Calgary and drive a cab :lol:

shootermcgavin
02-20-2008, 04:45 PM
Well hang in there its only a matter of time.....

Shrubs
02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Hope all goes well for you man, I know it can be tough when you're out of work. This might sound silly but if you get desperate try pumping gas for a bit, I pumped gas for a while about 4 years ago and at times I was getting 3-4 job offers a week (Rigs, welding,floor layer,framing,mechanics helper,selling phone plans etc.etc). Thing is you get talkin to people and the regulars get to know you and if they like you might want your help.

600twin
02-20-2008, 04:50 PM
You come to an open public forum on the internet , so let's skip the PM and just keep it public. I agree that 9 bucks an hour isn't much BUT if you don't have anything at all at least it's something to tide you over and help with some of your bills until you get something.
"and I am not asking to start at the top. Did I ever say that? no!. I have better qualifications and tickets then to be a grub box runner"

Ok so you don't want to start at the top but you don't want to start at the bottom either so where does that leave you? Do you even know what a leasehand makes these days?
You have better qualifications but yet you can't seem to find work at what your qualified and are reluctant to try something else , ( grubbox runner)
Your not the only person who has a hard luck story to tell so when you come on here you should not expect everyone to pat you on the back and tell you it's gonna be all better, make it better yourself.

Phantom
02-20-2008, 05:04 PM
you should not expect everyone to pat you on the back and tell you it's gonna be all better, make it better yourself.

I would no expect such a thing....didn't ask for it never would...like I said precision is working with me right now...23 bucks an hour starting for me there is perfect in my books. 2 in 1 out deal.....just no vehicle is slowing the job process. I did not come out and bluntly ask for a job from people here...I posted with the pictures saying "if anyone has any leads let me know"...then some people blow it out of proportion....so you can say what you want its not hurting my feelings..I know what i'm doing as I have done the job hunting process before especially at breakup. Some of the help full people on this board pm'd me and helped me with some leads.....

so like I said you ranting about my post is a waste of time:zzz:

600twin
02-20-2008, 05:10 PM
So your taking a job as a leasehand?

Phantom
02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
possible...ill do anything for $23 an hour lol...and they want me to get my class 3.....but I have to get to GP for an orientation and the recruiter may be heading that way when I need to go so hes trying to help me out here. he said he will call tomorow to let me know...

rincon
02-20-2008, 05:30 PM
Sometimes you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.
What do you expect to be tool push on your first day? Because you think your so qualified? Sounds to me you are a jack of all trades master of NONE!!

600twin
02-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Good luck

shootermcgavin
02-20-2008, 05:37 PM
23 for a leasehand? thats not bad they must have upped the rates.

If you do keep your eyes peeled and watch your back!

600twin
02-20-2008, 05:42 PM
As of October 1, 2007, the following drilling and service rig recommended wage schedules are in force.

Drilling Rig Crews

Rig Tech Premium
Driller $37.25 $2.00
Assistant Driller $32.00 $1.50
Derrickhand $31.00 $1.50
Motorhand $26.50 $1.00
Floorhand $24.50 n/a
Leasehand$21.00 n/a

Phantom
02-20-2008, 05:43 PM
no worries..iv wirelined and stuff I know all the tricks and things of that sort ....and being as big as I am iv never had problems with the guys...iv done lots of work on the rigs just never worked directly for the company that owns the rig.
he was impressed with my experience and tickets...I have about 20 safety tickets and they liked me having lots of experience with class 3 vehicles and having my airbrakes. So im praying I get the call that says hes found a way lol.

600twin
02-20-2008, 05:46 PM
just make sure the cathead polish is good and warm

shootermcgavin
02-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Ya good luck... but just cuz your big doesnt mean those guys wwont rag on ya...

shootermcgavin
02-20-2008, 05:51 PM
Just remember a good leasehand is a leasehand out of sight... and carry a bucket of water and soap with a few rags when you are in sight and no one will suspect a thing.... MUAHAHAHHA

Phantom
02-20-2008, 05:52 PM
oh I know...they have tried allot on me but iv also heard most of the crap...from sending a guy to schlumberger to get the crews burgers to muffler bearings lol....none of it is new to me......its all part of being on the rigs.....

LongDraw
02-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Just remember the steam bucket and you'll be fine.

Phantom
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
maybe ill go hunting for a jackelope while im there lol

Roughneck71
02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
whats up with a fellow trying to find a couple of leads for jobs?? poeple ripping on a fellow about what he wants qualifications, never seen the mans resume.. if you dont have a lead for the fella .. who cares how high or low he wants to start at. cant help him out why pic at em? dont matter what you post on here someone has to be a smart a..

Phantom
02-20-2008, 06:13 PM
thanks Roughneck71, appreciate it, its people like you who pm me and gave me leads..the others seem to have nothing better to do

600twin
02-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Not picking on him , he has 11 threads where he is looking for work, getting kinda old if you ask me. Just go here and read
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/search.php?searchid=71090
Anyway i am done with this one , good luck on the rigs.

Phantom
02-20-2008, 09:05 PM
im sure theres other threads you can go whine about:wave:

Brady
02-21-2008, 05:12 AM
im sure theres other threads you can go whine about:wave:

And I am sure that the AO message board, IS NOT THE PLACE FOR THIS DISCUSSION!!!!!!
Thread closed, and any further threads, will be removed.