PDA

View Full Version : Marcum Showdown Ice Troller Review

rena0040
01-21-2012, 08:07 AM
I recently picked up one of these little units and finally got out to Chain yesterday to test it out.

This is the first flasher I've had or used and my experience with them is based only on listening to others I've fished with call out fish with thiers.

I was drawn to them by the $209 price tag, I get out maybe half a dozen times a year and just couldn't justify a $550 flasher.

The first thing I noticed which I really liked was that it fit in my tackle box, second was it runs on AA batteries for an alleged 20hrs. (so far i have four hrs on a set and battery meter shows full)

After getting set up I fired it up to see how it worked. I'm not super tech savvy but it was easy enough to figure out how to set depth range and sensitivity for my bait/depth.

I dropped my tiny jig head tippped with velveeta down and watched it smoothly flow down the screen. I could easily identify my two jigs (other rod was 3 feet away) in the water column as well as marking fish.

I tried putting the transducer on top of the ice and it worked just as well.

Fishing with a flasher is amazing, i could watch fish swim up from the bottom and anticipate the strike and was able to reel up and nail a few cruising 8-10 feet off the bottom.

I can't wait to test it out in some deeper water like Lower K or Spray, I definetely recommend it for anyone looking for a cheap way to get into fishing with a flasher.

Willowtrail
01-21-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm using mine right now and I love it. Had for a year now. I alsopicked up the soft carry pack. Also nice if you have more room.

Even better is they just Went on sale at the fishin hole for the next week.

fish gunner
01-21-2012, 12:10 PM
as you have already experienced, electronics make a huge difference. being able to anticipate the strike will up your catch rate.I also like that you can work out what presentation the fish respond to best.the other thing that I enjoy we often have pike move in on our perch school and electronics let you see this and get a pike rig down to the correct depth quickly and often gives up a bonus pike.go getm tight lines.

aulrich
01-21-2012, 03:01 PM
I like mine as well, I will get one with zoom at some point but until then it's nice to have and still have money for other kit.

rena0040
01-21-2012, 09:08 PM
zoom? you can adjust the range to look at 0-20, 0-40, 0-60 etc. up to 0-120