PDA

View Full Version : TV/Home Theatre Suggestions

TundraBuck
02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Well, the time has come to renovate the basement and build a media room.

I want to have a top of the line TV, surround sound, everything. Money is not an object I'll do what I gotta do. Definitely want HDTV, when everything is being wired I will get Star Choice and then I can have wild tv and world fishing network too.

Anyways, does anyone have any ideas about this kind of stuff? I don't know where to go, plasma, lcd, projection? I can drive to red deer no problem to purchase something or even calgary or edmonton if it's worth my while. Let me know.

sirmike68
02-18-2008, 10:01 PM
I built a theater in my basement last year and I love it. Instead of a tv I picked up an InFocus 76 projector that is mounted on my ceiling that projects its image on 7ft wide screen. I also put a Yamaha surround 7.1 system in for the audio. The projector is HD and it is as clear as the hd tv's out there and takes up no space.

stubblejumper
02-18-2008, 10:20 PM
I did a lot of research,and the Panasonic plasmas were the highest rated big screen tvs.I bought the 58" Panasonic TH-58PZ750U,and it is simply incredible.I bought a Panasonic sound system as well ,and it is very good,but not as good as the Bose systems available.They are quite small with incredible sound,although they are pricey.

camshaft
02-19-2008, 12:23 AM
I wont comment on "best choices" because everyone will chime in on what they feel is the best in their own opinion.

My suggestion is as follows:
spend several weeks or months and look at the audio video forums.....these guys are audiophiles, installers and experts when it comes to equipment. Here are some of the common sites (moderators pls delete if this is a posting breach)

http://www.highdefforum.com/index.php?
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/index.php?
http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/board-topics.html
http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/

Whenever you do decide to get all of your gear, and get it installed, pls spend the money and get your video components professionally calibrated. Anyone who has had this done will testify that this is often overlooked and critical. Out of the box televisions/projectors are NOT set up right for decent viewing. There is a guy named Michael Chen who I believe works for Premier Audio. Google him. He is well renowned in the calibration community and happens to be based in calgary. Depending on how elaborate your system is, he will likely charge anywhere from a couple hundred bux on up. I had him callibrate a tv of mine, and the info I learned from him alone was worth the cost.

If your spending thousands of dollars on a system, why not spend a few hundred to ensure you are getting the best picture possible.

guidehunt
02-19-2008, 09:09 AM
i got a sony lcd 47in bravia full hi def about a year ago .very happy with it no problems great for sports .

gopherslayer
02-19-2008, 12:20 PM
I built a theater in my basement last year and I love it. Instead of a tv I picked up an InFocus 76 projector that is mounted on my ceiling that projects its image on 7ft wide screen. I also put a Yamaha surround 7.1 system in for the audio. The projector is HD and it is as clear as the hd tv's out there and takes up no space.

x2

If you go with a flat screen/lcd and are renovating I suggest putting some blocking in the wall where you want the tv and have your cable and power moved up on the wall, to hang. Less floor space being used. We are doing that in most of our spec homes now as people would just ask us after they bought the house anyway LOL.

elnino54
02-19-2008, 02:28 PM
The Sony XBR Bravia is about the best there is for LCD...........wouldn't hestitate on one of those, but if Plasma is your flavour, then Panasonic Viera.
The Sharp Aquos is another greta unit...lol

Rudy198
02-19-2008, 05:38 PM
i have a toshiba 62" DLP with a Bose system...LOVE IT......best sound money can buy and takes up no room at all.Yes expensive,but like the saying goes "you get what you pay for"

TundraBuck
02-19-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow thanks for all the great info guys! Yes you do get what you pay for, this will probably be the last tv I buy and money is not an object, Go big or go home. Mish also gave me a great offer so I am very grateful that there is some good knowledgable people here!

Mish
02-19-2008, 08:06 PM
Anytime, happy to help ;)

OutwardBound
02-21-2008, 08:08 AM
Personally I'm a fan of the LCD Rear Projections i have 2, Both Sony's, a 42" and a 60". I think they give the nicest looking picture. When i bought my 60" i would have preferred to get the Samsung 61" it has LED insted of the replaceable lamp, it's supposed to last a lot longer. It was about $800 more at the time. I think Toshiba makes a new type of lamp for the LCD Projections that last longer than the originals.

All the TV have some sort of life and the life with the Projections is a bulb tht eventually burns out, but it is very easy to get and replace yourself. With Plasma and LCD once they are done they are done. Think there around $300. I have had my 42" for 3 years and it's on everyday and have not replaced the lamp yet.

I definitly recommed a name brand tv, i have seen some of the noname Costco brands in action and the picture quality is terrible.

Dustin

sparky660
02-21-2008, 11:08 AM
AFter doing some homework I went with a 46" Sharp LCD. All the websites that I checked out put it in the top 5 for picture quality in LCD catagories. I always thought the Sharp was a entry level television but I guess I was wrong. Everyone that I have talked to that sell say that the Sharp is better than most LCD televisions when it come to picture quality. I also bought the Sony DAV-HDX900W home entertainment system. Have been very happy with both.