PDA

View Full Version : bannick recipes

mud slug
02-18-2008, 06:14 PM
does any one have a good bannick recipe thanks

catnthehat
02-18-2008, 06:50 PM
Recipe?!!:huh:
Never used a recipe, just a bit of this, a bit of that, and ,uh, oh ya - some of the other stuff!:D

The only differnece I do is if I'm cooking it in an airtight, or on a stick......
Cat

Sporty
02-18-2008, 06:56 PM
Bannock

2 cups flour
4 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup margarine
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 cups cold milk (approx)

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly then add margarine and mix until everything is crumbly. Slowly add the milk until everything is incorporated but not sticky.

Roll out on floured board and cut into circles, bake at 375 about 20 - 25 mins until browned. Don't over handle the bannock or it will become tough and won't rise.

I make big slabs of bannock when I go camping. Instead of cutting into circles I keep it whole and bake until done. You can cut slices for toast or sandwiches and it keeps longer this way.

Another variation is that I add about 1 tbsp of dill to the bannock.

My grandmother cut back the milk and added saskatoons to hers. Some people add raisins. You can do almost anything with bannock.

I make beef or moose stew then place bannock on top and place into oven, this is what we thought Shepards pie was when growing up. Can do this with turkey/chicken stew, hamburger stew etc.

Takes practice to make good bannock so don't be discouraged if it isn't great your first try.

mud slug
02-18-2008, 06:57 PM
thanks cat just how much of this that and other stuff do i mix up in the thingamajig to put on the dohicky over the whachumucallit?:lol:

Mish
02-18-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm sure this isn't right, but I just mix flour, water, and a bit of baking soda in together. Batter is usually sticky. Throw it in the oven at 350 and wait until golden brown. You can also fry this recipe which is nice when you're out camping. Just throw a spoonful of the concoction into a frying pan with some oil or butter. It's how I was taught to make it a long long time ago, and it tastes good so I stick with it.

crazy_davey
02-18-2008, 07:21 PM
Bannock recipe, take anywhere just add water (Submitted by crazy davey)
Premix 2 cups of flour with,

-1/2 tsp of salt
-2 tsp baking powder
-1 tblsp of sugar
-1/4 cup of powdered milk

(multiply ratio as needed)

Mix all ingredients well and store in a ziplock bag or container of choice.

When ready to eat, just take 1 cup of mixture and add cold water slowly while mixing, just a little water at a time. Untill you get a nice uniform dough, and dont knead too much, you want to keep the air in the dough making it lighter and not so much like a hockey puck.

Then spread dough evenly into a well oiled pan and cook slowly untill browned and then flip and do the same for the other side. Add butter and maybe some jam and enjoy.

If you make the dough nice and thick it can also be wrapped around a stick and cooked over the fire, just take your time not to burn it

NOTE:add raisins, blueberries etc. to make it even more enjoyable

catnthehat
02-18-2008, 07:33 PM
thanks cat just how much of this that and other stuff do i mix up in the thingamajig to put on the dohicky over the whachumucallit?:lol:
About a half a handfull of the first stuff, but just a bit oif the other stuff to make it rise.
Whatever you do, DO NOT use a DOHICKY!!!:sick:
Those are for "pilgrims" - a whachumucallit is all you need- really.......:cool:
cat

mud slug
02-18-2008, 07:50 PM
thanks cat thats all i needed to know it's all as clear as mud now:D

Alberta Bigbore
02-18-2008, 08:45 PM
the wifey makes killer Bannock. her latest is a recipie from her mother, its a variation of fried Bannock, Oh my god, cant keep it in stock here. I slice it down the middle and use it for burger patties and sandwiches this stuff is so good. ill have to see if she will share;)

turbo mulcher
02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Bannock

2 cups flour
4 tbsp baking powder
1/4 cup margarine
1 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1.5 cups cold milk (approx)

Mix dry ingredients thoroughly then add margarine and mix until everything is crumbly. Slowly add the milk until everything is incorporated but not sticky.

Roll out on floured board and cut into circles, bake at 375 about 20 - 25 mins until browned. Don't over handle the bannock or it will become tough and won't rise.

I make big slabs of bannock when I go camping. Instead of cutting into circles I keep it whole and bake until done. You can cut slices for toast or sandwiches and it keeps longer this way.

Another variation is that I add about 1 tbsp of dill to the bannock.

My grandmother cut back the milk and added saskatoons to hers. Some people add raisins. You can do almost anything with bannock.

I make beef or moose stew then place bannock on top and place into oven, this is what we thought Shepards pie was when growing up. Can do this with turkey/chicken stew, hamburger stew etc.

Takes practice to make good bannock so don't be discouraged if it isn't great your first try.

When I was 18 I canoed the Yukon River from Whitehorse to Dawson, made bannock every morning. Used this same recipe with raisins. Lived on it for two weeks.