PDA

View Full Version : Busted my 12 weight.....

elnino54
02-18-2008, 07:38 PM
Anyone need a 7pc 12 weight flyrod that used to be a 5 pc ?? Managed to land this Costa Rican Sailfish even though the rod broke on the original hook set and again just as I got it to the boat........lol.. Fishing was very slow by local standards but we did manage to get 2 shots at sails with flyrods. We did see about 2 dozen more but couldn't get them to come to the teasers....

Alberta Bigbore
02-18-2008, 09:03 PM
OMG!!1! Kick ***** man, memory for sure, on a fly rod wow!!:D :D :D :D Congrats, any more pics???

elnino54
02-18-2008, 09:16 PM
Bigbore.....
.....Didn't get any action shots and with the cloud cover, there isn't much for color. This is a must do!! for anyone who loves flyfishing. Words and pictures can't describe it. In most cases the take by the fish off the back of the boat is within 2-3 rod lengths max. Its like teasing a giant cat with a mouse !! Hopefully I can get out 1 more time before I return home at the end of next month......if only I had my own boat. Cheers........

goldscud
02-18-2008, 09:46 PM
Looks like fun. Are you in Costa Rica?

uglyelk
02-18-2008, 10:50 PM
Man what a fish. I'd print a photo and frame it with the broken rod.

Yeah I know the picture will be smaller than life size if it fits in the frame. :) But hey you only got so much wall space!

Can not imagine that monster on a fly rod, you know how to have fun. Enjoy the rest of your vacation, and if you land any more share them with us.

Alberta Bigbore
02-18-2008, 11:12 PM
in your 2nd post, pic #2, that close up is awesome!!!!:D

TundraBuck
02-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh wow that is awesome!!! I am defintiely getting myself on a trip for those this winter coming up!

wollybugger
02-19-2008, 07:39 PM
what did that guy weigh its massive . I'd frame the rod with a pic to .awsom

The Ice Man
02-19-2008, 07:42 PM
I like the broken rod frame, its a great story that people will always ask about when they see the snapped rod frame.

Ice Man

elnino54
02-19-2008, 09:00 PM
My buddy figured the fish would go 120-130lbs which seems about right........I'm just over 150 myself. To get the rod replaced (warrantied) by the factory, I will probably have to send it back, but the idea of keeping it the way it is to put on the wall with the picture sounds like a great idea........Whats really amazing is how fast these things really are, I believe they are the fastest thing that swims with bursts of speed to 68 mph..........and from what I've seen, I think they're right.

gramps73
02-20-2008, 02:40 PM
Elnino

That picture and story make you look and sound 10' tall. It's always good to dream...
Nice fish but the story I got form the neibough was that was that was the wifes fish..

HA HA

Ejoy the weather
Gramps

Chet
02-20-2008, 02:56 PM
That is awesome Elnino!

I got a new 12 wt a couple months ago with Sails being one of my targets. Can't wait to try.

Congrats! Gotta love rod warranty!

Chet

catnthehat
02-20-2008, 04:53 PM
My buddy figured the fish would go 120-130lbs which seems about right........I'm just over 150 myself. To get the rod replaced (warrantied) by the factory, I will probably have to send it back, but the idea of keeping it the way it is to put on the wall with the picture sounds like a great idea........Whats really amazing is how fast these things really are, I believe they are the fastest thing that swims with bursts of speed to 68 mph..........and from what I've seen, I think they're right.
I believe the Wahoo is faster but I may be wrong.
cat

elnino54
02-20-2008, 08:46 PM
Gramps...........the wifey broke off her fish (bad luck) and cat, I used to think the same thing about wahoo. I haven't caught any of those, seen a few, but that's it. The following is a link to National Geographic re: Sailfish

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/fish/sailfish.html

Chet if you want to give it a try down here, let me know. I've got a buddy in Quepos that really knows his stuff when it comes to fly rodding to sailfish. He's guided Billy Pate down here on more than one occasion. Check out the video clip in the link below......its only 90 sec but wow !!

www.bigeyecharters.com

cowboybic
02-23-2008, 04:54 PM
WOW.. WTG Buddy.

I can see by the smile you enjoyed the fight.