PDA

View Full Version : Having issues with the eskimo auger

silverdoctor
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
and wondering if it could be the fuel/oil mix. I bought amsoil 2 stroke interceptor oil and i'm starting to wonder if that's the problem. I know a couple of you mentioned another brand, but the place that sold it was closed and I needed my auger.

When it's warm, like in the apartment, couple of primes of fuel and it fires right up. But when it's been sitting in the cold, it just doesn't seem to want to idle even when warmed up. have to keep revving to keep it going.

Only had it out twice.

harrydude
01-21-2012, 07:49 PM
How I he spark plug?

And what is you mix ratio?

goosejerky
01-21-2012, 07:54 PM
and wondering if it could be the fuel/oil mix. I bought amsoil 2 stroke interceptor oil and i'm starting to wonder if that's the problem. I know a couple of you mentioned another brand, but the place that sold it was closed and I needed my auger.

When it's warm, like in the apartment, couple of primes of fuel and it fires right up. But when it's been sitting in the cold, it just doesn't seem to want to idle even when warmed up. have to keep revving to keep it going.

Only had it out twice.

I had issues like that with mine as well.... I found that for the first few times that i took it out i had to take it inside the night before in order to keep it warm for it to fire up.... just until it gets broken in i think....
Make sure that you keep priming it until the air bubbles are removed from the gas line too.... mine runs like a top these days... great augers!

bloopbloob
01-21-2012, 08:00 PM
mine is also new, fired up about 15 times, maybe 80 holes. works like a champ, starts on 1st or second pull even in the cold. I run amsoil synthetic, at about 80:1 with premium. what mix are you running at?

silverdoctor
01-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Spark plug should be fine, it's only been out twice, drilled maybe 20 holes. When she's first started, it eats the ice.

Mix is what the manual called for, 50:1. I hope it's just a break in period. It's been in the warm for a few hours now, fires right up and idles again. Maybe I should change the ratio to 80:1 and see what happens.

Only a 1/4 tank burned off yet.

Was amazed at how much ice has formed in the last week or two. Went out to chestermere for a couple of hours for a quick fix today, well over 2 feet of friggin ice compared to about a foot last time out. Nother week of cold and i'll need an extension lol

drake
01-21-2012, 08:08 PM

Only had it out twice.

You start your ice auger in your apartment........???? LOL. Jesus!!......

silverdoctor
01-21-2012, 08:11 PM
You start your ice auger in your apartment........???? LOL. Jesus!!......

Gotta freak out the neighbors when I come through their ceiling :sHa_shakeshout:

nah, on the balcony, not as bad.

bloopbloob
01-21-2012, 08:32 PM
not sure if its the same oil as mine, but my amsoil synthetic (don't know if its interceptor or what its called) is made to run at 100:1. I run at 80:1 to be on the safe side, and it runs fine. if it ran poorly, i'd go up to 100:1 without a second thought. I tried it at 50:1 the first couple times, and then bumped it to 80:1. It definitely ran worse at 50:1

mudbug
01-21-2012, 08:33 PM
Send Jiffy10 a PM and he'll be able to help you out, just give him a day or two to reply since he isn't online everyday :)

Jimboy
01-21-2012, 09:23 PM
had the same trouble with mine , found out you gotta prime the bubble 5 times when warm weather , more if cold , make sure bubbe=les are gone

Big Red 250
01-21-2012, 09:34 PM
Keeping your auger in your apt, then taking it to the lake, any chance ice is forming in the carb or fuel line causing the rough running. Just a thought as it has happened to me several years ago. Possibly a tiny piece of ice is bouncing around in the carb. Maybe try a very small dose of gas line antifreeze in the tank.

Kim473
01-22-2012, 06:47 AM
Use fresh premium fuel, no ethinol, 50:1 mix, fuel stabilizer, and run a few times. It should be good after 30 holes. If you have problems after that its something else like maybe a pinched fuel line. Check it and see if there is a sharp bend in it that might be stopping fuel. Premium fuel is a must. Mine runs like a champ, 3 years now and hundreds of holes. Mine did not run good the first two times out but now its great. Starts in any weather. Two pulls, at most. 3/4 gallon of fuel per season at most and about 20 days out.

IHUNT
01-22-2012, 07:13 AM
Amsoil 2 stroke is the best 2 stroke oil on the market. Positive it isnt the oil that is your problem. I use amsoil in all my toys and it never let me down yet!
Maybe you are mixing your gas to rich? that will make your plug foul or make it hard to start. Thats my opinion. could just be your auger to???
:thinking-006:

silverdoctor
01-22-2012, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the info. I'll try adjusting the mix with premium fuel and use a bit of gas line antifreeze. See where it goes from here.

Kim473
01-22-2012, 10:19 AM
Don,t put gas line anti freeze in. Put a fuel stabalizer in like stabil. It should do the same thing but help the gas stay fresh also.

mayuan
01-22-2012, 10:39 AM
Spark plug should be fine, it's only been out twice, drilled maybe 20 holes. When she's first started, it eats the ice.

Mix is what the manual called for, 50:1. I hope it's just a break in period. It's been in the warm for a few hours now, fires right up and idles again. Maybe I should change the ratio to 80:1 and see what happens.

Only a 1/4 tank burned off yet.

Was amazed at how much ice has formed in the last week or two. Went out to chestermere for a couple of hours for a quick fix today, well over 2 feet of friggin ice compared to about a foot last time out. Nother week of cold and i'll need an extension lol

DO not change the ratio. Keep the ratio at 50:1 and use premium gas. Bad gas happens some times, just pour out the old gas (and dispose of properly). I use the same oil and 50:1 is correct. Running the ratio at 80:1 if the oil is not designed for it will damage the engine.

stinkynuts
01-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Oh ya if you are not useing Premium thats your first proablem as well . I think its a must in all small engines to Run the good stuff. if you have time even look for a Husky gas station and get some super premium it will run like a top them super premium is 93 oct

6tmile
01-22-2012, 11:51 AM
We used to run amsoil interceptor in our quads and dirtbikes up until last summer, we bought new oil for the season and after two top ends in my sons dirtbike and one in my youngests quad we switched over to motul. A fella that we ordered parts through showed us the diffrence between the two oils(amsoil and motul). He took two samples of each at a mix of 50:1 and dumped them on a metal table, after about an hour the amsoil mix was evaporated with no oil residue, the motul had evaporated ,but there was still an oily residue on the table.

Big Red 250
01-22-2012, 11:53 AM
Don,t put gas line anti freeze in. Put a fuel stabalizer in like stabil. It should do the same thing but help the gas stay fresh also.

Why would the gas be going stale this time of the year? I could see if the gas was going to be left in the tank over summer. If he's going to be useing the auger, the gas wouldn't last long enough to go bad, unless he's useing old gas right off the bat.

cujo1969
01-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Sounds like needs the carb adjusted. MY jiffy 30 i mix it 24-1 like the book says and just reg gas never gives me a problem but has be tuned right from the beggining. Not sure which way but when its cold it needs be set richer i think.

Kim473
01-22-2012, 03:06 PM
Why would the gas be going stale this time of the year? I could see if the gas was going to be left in the tank over summer. If he's going to be useing the auger, the gas wouldn't last long enough to go bad, unless he's useing old gas right off the bat.

Have you ever started a fire using gas? If you throw a match in it goes poof. If you wait say 10 mins it will bairly take off. Makes a big differance.

silverdoctor
01-23-2012, 09:08 AM
So many conflicting opinions. Don't want to take a chance on screwing up a new engine.

Just talked to the folks at eskimo, she says to definitely stay with the 50:1 (amsoil interceptor is fine) but jump to a premium fuel with low ethanol.

Where can I get rid of some fuel? Anyone here want a gallon of regular 50:1 premix?

Supposed I can throw it in the car and deal with a bit of smoke?:scared0018:

Dark Horn
01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
So many conflicting opinions. Don't want to take a chance on screwing up a new engine.

Just talked to the folks at eskimo, she says to definitely stay with the 50:1 (amsoil interceptor is fine) but jump to a premium fuel with low ethanol.

Where can I get rid of some fuel? Anyone here want a gallon of regular 50:1 premix?

Supposed I can throw it in the car and deal with a bit of smoke?:scared0018:

As far as disposing of a couple liters just dump it in the car. Won't know it's there. Never done it but if using the good amsoil that says 100:1 right on the bottle i would mix at that. Have read many guys that say not to go richer. I had some problems with my Z71 this year too. Would start pretty good and run ok but if I shut it down and then tried 5min later it would not start. Dumped gas, mixed up some premium with bel ray syn, changed plug and still no good. Took carb apart to clean up and since I couldn't get a rebuild kit bought a new one. Started after 2 pulls ran it good for 5min then after 10min off would not start again. Took it to a shop and they stuck another new plug in and now starts 2 pulls every time and runs way better than ever. I prime it 2 times or if the bulb is empty until it fills then 2 times. Have yet to try when cold out though. The carb has one adjustment screw on top and as far as Eskimo said 1 3/4 turns out from seated and that's where mine is at now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything keeps running right. Almost tossed it and went and bought a new strike master pro laser. After only 1 year.

bikerman
01-24-2012, 11:14 AM
As far as disposing of a couple liters just dump it in the car. Won't know it's there. Never done it but if using the good amsoil that says 100:1 right on the bottle i would mix at that. Have read many guys that say not to go richer. I had some problems with my Z71 this year too. Would start pretty good and run ok but if I shut it down and then tried 5min later it would not start. Dumped gas, mixed up some premium with bel ray syn, changed plug and still no good. Took carb apart to clean up and since I couldn't get a rebuild kit bought a new one. Started after 2 pulls ran it good for 5min then after 10min off would not start again. Took it to a shop and they stuck another new plug in and now starts 2 pulls every time and runs way better than ever. I prime it 2 times or if the bulb is empty until it fills then 2 times. Have yet to try when cold out though. The carb has one adjustment screw on top and as far as Eskimo said 1 3/4 turns out from seated and that's where mine is at now. I'm keeping my fingers crossed everything keeps running right. Almost tossed it and went and bought a new strike master pro laser. After only 1 year.
Ethanol is awful stuff on small engines. If a tank is vented to the atmosphere, ethanol naturally combines with air to form a watery mix that settles at the bottom of any tank. The smaller the engine, the smaller the carb, the smaller the jets. On a gravity fuel feed system(augers, motorcycles, most quads etc..) this mixture has a hard time running thru the tiny jets. Solutions:use premium(less ethanol by volume that regular), marine ethanol fighter additive, dispose of fuel older than 3 months old if tank is vented to atmosphere, don't dump that last few ounces from your gas can in to your engine(water settles to the bottom), stay away from stations that advertise up to 10% ethanol mix(Husky, Mohawk).

dragon
01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
I use regular unleaded 50:1 ratio with generic 2 stroke oil from walmart. I filled my auger over xmas break last year and it's now over a year old on the same tank and it starts. first pull.....

Kim473
01-25-2012, 03:42 AM
I use regular unleaded 50:1 ratio with generic 2 stroke oil from walmart. I filled my auger over xmas break last year and it's now over a year old on the same tank and it starts. first pull.....

Sounds like a carb job in a couple of seasons if not sooner.

Always use fresh gas at the beginning of the season and drain your tank and carb at end of season. Start and run dry. Do this and you should be trouble free for many years.

Jiffy10
01-25-2012, 07:27 AM
I have 2 carb kits with needle/seat included.

I also have a sheet on " how to " that includes setting up the
unit .

if your interested.... send me a PM