PDA

View Full Version : Today's Action at Sundance

RayB's
01-21-2012, 10:37 PM
Thanks Sundancefisher for getting us out on the water today, it was a great time! The action was the best from just before noon and then for a few hours, but it tapered off after that. My largest perch today was around 9", but I did tie into this nice Rainbow, it may have been my largest so far!

It was great to meet Jack&7 and crew out there today too. A great time was had by all.

Thanks Kevin!

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/rjbartsch/DSC01092.jpg

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/rjbartsch/DSC01096.jpg

Jack&7
01-21-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for posting the pics Ray...that monster nearly broke my wrist! And a nice trout you had there.

As always, thanks to Kevin (Sundancefisher) for hosting...always a good time and the kids had a blast!

Great to meet you, Ray! Thanks for the generosity of the strike indicators and those amazing hooks your brother makes! I will never use a spring bobber again! And damn fine elk jerky too...next time, the deer jerky is on me.

And GaryB (the brother)...haven't met ya, but you have talent! You make some amazing stuff!

A great day on the hardwater in Sundance. We'll have to do it again soon!

RayB's
01-21-2012, 11:00 PM
Thanks Dean, I had a great day out there.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/rjbartsch/DSC01098.jpg

Oh ya, I did have another picture of you!

Garry B
01-22-2012, 12:44 AM
And GaryB (the brother)...haven't met ya, ...

Thank you for the nice comment but it's actually not me who makes either of those things. Ray made those bite indicators and my daughter made the jigs. I just come up with the ideas and find the materials. Someone else has to do the hard work! Hope I can meet you. Best regards.

Sundancefisher
01-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Thank you for the nice comment but it's actually not me who makes either of those things. Ray made those bite indicators and my daughter made the jigs. I just come up with the ideas and find the materials. Someone else has to do the hard work! Hope I can meet you. Best regards.

Garry's daughters hooks were the bomb! Caught a ton although the sizes were down. Lots of action and nice weather and great company!

Cheers

BeeGuy
01-22-2012, 02:46 AM
Great stuff guys.

Azn_rice_man and myself were there from 2-5pm.

Perchin was a little slow out in the middle. Lost about 70% of hook-ups and landed 5. Biggest was about 11" and delicious. Lost 2 more in that size range.
Got 1 trout in the 16" range.

We drilled some holes just off shore to see if we could find more perch and hammered 20+ rainbows in the ~16" size class, and 1 in the ~12" size class in about 45min.

No perch in that spot.

We caught all those rainbows on #14 gamakatsu red octopus hooks (no bait), and 1/32oz red and pink jigs heads tipped with bait about 1/3 of the time, mostly bare.

Fun and unique fishing experience. Would definitely go back to try and focus on the perch.

AK47
01-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Nice to see it is finally open, I will give it a try tomorrow. How thick was the ice?

RayB's
01-22-2012, 01:52 PM
I'd say the ice was around 12" thick. The zamboni was out on the ice, and a service truck was near it, so there's plenty.

goldscud
01-22-2012, 02:55 PM
BeeGuy,
Ice fishing is only allowed from the skating path to the center of the lake. No fishing from the skating path to the shoreline. Lake regulations not mine

horsetrader
01-22-2012, 03:35 PM
Garry's daughters hooks were the bomb! Caught a ton although the sizes were down. Lots of action and nice weather and great company!

Cheers

Glade to hear some people got out....... Knew you would love the hooks they are the greatest.

Willowtrail
01-22-2012, 07:36 PM
Great looking trout Ray.

Looks like you guys had a great day out there.

Used those hooks today myself and lent a couple to Niceman fishing with me. We cleaned upon those little buggers.

Great Work on the hooks Garry and daughter.

booker
01-23-2012, 12:29 PM
Good one Moe.

Easywean
01-23-2012, 12:37 PM
looks like fun. any chance anyone has a picture of the "magic perch hooks"?

Sundancefisher
01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Glade to hear some people got out....... Knew you would love the hooks they are the greatest.

I would say there were okay...I only had about 15-20 perch an hour on them. I was hoping for 30-40. :thinking-006::bad_boys_20:

I need more.:sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
01-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Thanks Dean, I had a great day out there.

http://i1214.photobucket.com/albums/cc492/rjbartsch/DSC01098.jpg

Oh ya, I did have another picture of you!

Ray...where is the video link? I was hoping for a hollywood career... or a dimestore fisherman cameo.

AK47
01-23-2012, 05:10 PM
Took home over 18lbs today. Stopped counting after 100, numerous 3-4 inchers and in general size seems to be smaller then before, just few over 10 inches.... something must be wrong, all this netting does not seem to be working. Best action was from 10 to 11 and then from 2 to 4.

Garry B
01-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Took home over 18lbs today.

That's a lot of fish! Have you seen these methods of preparing small perch? Are they good? I don't speak Russian. To bad for me. :(

http://youtu.be/AR5uzVrP0ic
http://youtu.be/QYvYBU4rHF0

Garry B
01-23-2012, 05:32 PM
I need more.:sHa_shakeshout:

Your wish is our command! :)

AK47
01-23-2012, 06:30 PM
That's a lot of fish! Have you seen these methods of preparing small perch? Are they good? I don't speak Russian. To bad for me. :(

http://youtu.be/AR5uzVrP0ic
http://youtu.be/QYvYBU4rHF0

I gave half the catch to the guy who generously provided access to the lake so not that much was left to clean:).

Garry B
01-23-2012, 06:59 PM
I gave half the catch to the guy who generously provided access to the lake so not that much was left to clean:).

Nice. :)

Sundancefisher
01-23-2012, 07:02 PM
Took home over 18lbs today. Stopped counting after 100, numerous 3-4 inchers and in general size seems to be smaller then before, just few over 10 inches.... something must be wrong, all this netting does not seem to be working. Best action was from 10 to 11 and then from 2 to 4.

Did you move much? Two weeks ago we caught mostly 8-10 inchers. Last Sat we caught a lot of 2 and 3 year olds. I suspect now that the population is decreased...they maybe schooling up better.

Still them smaller ones will be tasty.

Carson13
01-23-2012, 08:01 PM
I live in bonivista and catch lots of big rainbows and am also hooked on perch fishin and wanted to get out to sundance some time, the only problem is i dont know anyone in the sundance area to take me :angry3:
Carson

Carson13
01-23-2012, 08:04 PM
I live in bonivista and catch lots of big rainbows and am also hooked on perch fishin and wanted to get out to sundance some time, the only problem is i dont know anyone in the sundance area to take me :angry3:
Carson

Also would make a trade that i would take someone to bonavista if they took me to sundance

thanks Carson

AK47
01-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Did you move much? Two weeks ago we caught mostly 8-10 inchers. Last Sat we caught a lot of 2 and 3 year olds. I suspect now that the population is decreased...they maybe schooling up better.

Still them smaller ones will be tasty.

Yeah, I moved from first spot as soon as action got slower and those microperch started attacking me. It got better at the end of the day when wind stopped and sun came out again.
I finished cleaning them and found lots of females in 7-8 inch range, last year females were all bigger 9-10 inchers. And whats up with bunch of them having spinal deformities? Like scoliosis or something... I am wondering if it has something to do with inbreeding and limited gene poll in such small lake.
Maybe it is time to introduce some fresh blood:thinking-006:.... kidding of course:)

Sundancefisher
01-23-2012, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I moved from first spot as soon as action got slower and those microperch started attacking me. It got better at the end of the day when wind stopped and sun came out again.
I finished cleaning them and found lots of females in 7-8 inch range, last year females were all bigger 9-10 inchers. And whats up with bunch of them having spinal deformities? Like scoliosis or something... I am wondering if it has something to do with inbreeding and limited gene poll in such small lake.
Maybe it is time to introduce some fresh blood:thinking-006:.... kidding of course:)

In breeding is become very obvious.

There are bigger perch...you just have to hit the school. They are fatter than last year also so there seems to be an increase in food.

RayB's
01-23-2012, 11:14 PM
This one's for you Kevin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeYv23MncTs

Garry B
01-24-2012, 12:35 AM
looks like fun. any chance anyone has a picture of the "magic perch hooks"?

Hi. They aren't magic but here are the hooks my daughter and I are making. We've learned a lot so far and have more improvements to make on them.

Alberta Bigbore
01-24-2012, 06:53 AM
Nice looking trout!

Easywean
01-24-2012, 08:20 AM
Hi. They aren't magic but here are the hooks my daughter and I are making. We've learned a lot so far and have more improvements to make on them.

Thanks Gary. I had a bit of trouble hooking up perch on the weekend just using a standard 1/32 jig head. with the perch being so small it seemed the hook was too long and it was tough to hook the lip. these look like they would work slick

AK47
01-24-2012, 09:58 AM

Looking good Garry! Just add more shapes and sizes and you have nice business on your hands.

Sundancefisher
01-24-2012, 10:16 AM
This one's for you Kevin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeYv23MncTs

nice vid. You can almost see the action on the marmish.

Garry's hooks are the bomb. He should be selling them!

Garry B
01-24-2012, 12:58 PM
nice vid. You can almost see the action on the marmish.

Changed the resolution to 1080 and made the vid full screen and could see the indicator move and the bite. Very nice technique. Were you using bait? Or bare hook?

Sundancefisher
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
Changed the resolution to 1080 and made the vid full screen and could see the indicator move and the bite. Very nice technique. Were you using bait? Or bare hook?

No bait or hook. I have a small loop tied on the end of the line. Kinda like snaring rabbits.

Garry B
01-24-2012, 02:59 PM
No bait or hook. I have a small loop tied on the end of the line. Kinda like snaring rabbits.

:sSig_cool2:

Carson13
01-25-2012, 03:22 PM

Could we mabey get a better look at those hooks?

Thanks