PDA

View Full Version : First time for walleye

Bush
01-22-2012, 03:17 PM
This coming weekend will be my first time ice fishing for walleye. Just asking for any tips or different techniques. What kind of bait.

antleraddict19
01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
What lake are you going to be fishing?? Typically i like to use powerbait green jigs with orange and yellow heads. And as for bait i normally use minnows

Bush
01-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Rock island lake north of athabasca.

Shmag
01-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Drill alot of holes and fish them for a few minutes each, keep moving from hole to hole until you start having luck in a hot hole.

I personally like minnows on spoons or jigheads, 5 of diamonds could be deadly. Drop all the way to bottom then lift up 6 to 8 inchs. Pay attention to the drop, alot of the hits i get is when picking it off bottom. Jig to the action...if they are aggressive jig lots, if they are slow, slow your presentation

Good Luck

Bush
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
can i use a underwater camara or will it spook them, it sounds like a person fishes for them about the same as you would a perch. sounds easy lol

Shmag
01-22-2012, 05:40 PM
can i use a underwater camara or will it spook them, it sounds like a person fishes for them about the same as you would a perch. sounds easy lol

Yep, very similar. Actually i caught a 7 lb walleye this winter on a perch hook. Was fishing walleye, and it felt like a perch tapping so i put a perch hook on and caught the big walleye.

I find the camera doesn't spook them. But dont set it up until you find a hot hole