PDA

View Full Version : Hows the Crawling Valley pike fishing?

madatter
01-23-2012, 06:26 AM
Planning on getting out fishing for the first time in eons Wednesday.
Never fished CV summer or winter and wondering how the pike fishing is.
Know little or nothing about the lake.
Little lady wants a few fresh fish for supper and it's been a while.
Any info on pike lakes around Calgary would be appreciated!

madatter
01-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Nothing near Calgary going at all for pike?
Might have to make a trip back to Newell.....

calgarygringo
01-23-2012, 07:43 AM
We did a trip with half dozen other board members last weekend to CVR. Caught a few but nothing serious. Was at Newell yesterday see my other post and had lots of action for most of the day. Personally I would do Newell between the 2 if the extra drive is no biggie for you.

GOT1!
01-23-2012, 08:55 AM
Crawling valley on Saturday and there were loads of people out. Fishing was marginal, i would say. Ice is a good 18 " now, most everyone was driving out. One truck racing back and forth all day ( another story) 3 small pike landed, but our tipups were flying flags all day. At least a dozen bump and runs. Trip the flag and drop the baits. and not a walleye to be seen. Thats fishin

slough shark
01-23-2012, 09:28 AM
Crawling valley on Saturday and there were loads of people out. Fishing was marginal, i would say. Ice is a good 18 " now, most everyone was driving out. One truck racing back and forth all day ( another story) 3 small pike landed, but our tipups were flying flags all day. At least a dozen bump and runs. Trip the flag and drop the baits. and not a walleye to be seen. Thats fishin

I have been fishing that lake for years and it always seems to me that this happens A LOT out there, the bump and runs. I have always suspected it is either the walleye or burbot as I never have that many flags go up and only catch a few at other lakes.

GOT1!
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
I have been fishing that lake for years and it always seems to me that this happens A LOT out there, the bump and runs. I have always suspected it is either the walleye or burbot as I never have that many flags go up and only catch a few at other lakes.

Ya i suppose that is possible forsure. I ve also had bumps and runs at other lakes. I know pike some days will just commit and chow whatever bait I'm hangin and some days they just nose at it, trip the flag and it drops to the bottom and they swim off. I tried to set my tipups a little stiifer or softer to release on those days and doesnt really change anything. I guess until they create a sardine head cam, we can only guess whats gnawing at our offering.

calgarygringo
01-23-2012, 10:39 AM
My partner uses tip ups for outside the tent and I use my 6ft light rod as I like the reel in concept better. Seems that I get a lot more his than he does but like yesterday everything that touches his bait comes out. The majority of the times on my rod and reel the fish is lost betweeen me running out and I think not letting the fish run and get hooked as well. Saying that I still seem to outfish him a greater per cent of the time.

madatter
01-23-2012, 11:43 AM
My partner uses tip ups for outside the tent and I use my 6ft light rod as I like the reel in concept better. Seems that I get a lot more his than he does but like yesterday everything that touches his bait comes out. The majority of the times on my rod and reel the fish is lost betweeen me running out and I think not letting the fish run and get hooked as well. Saying that I still seem to outfish him a greater per cent of the time.

I like reeling too....I have a couple of rods with heavier line and use slip bobbers of various size(depends on the bait I'm using).
You can tell the smallest bite with the slip bobber and I'd say my hooking % is much better using this method.
Usually run one tip up and one slip bobber,just jig the bobber line once in a while...

madatter
01-24-2012, 06:11 AM
Weather looking a bit nasty now on Wednesday.....60k winds are a bit much for me....

madatter
02-02-2012, 09:34 AM
Looks like I might try to get out to CV on Saturday for a while.
Anybody have best access points to the west side?
Heard about a truck going in at Red Rock Road.....where is that?
Anybody been out lately?