PDA

View Full Version : Great action at Burnstick Lake today.

Jhass
01-23-2012, 09:36 PM
Fished about 50 feet of water on the west side. Great action... the second you sunk the the bait down to the bottom, you had another fish on. I was using a double jig perch rig :D and was pulling them up 2 at a time back to back. Also caught a few pike, one being 30 inches. Wasn't really any monster perch but easily got my limit the first hour, all being over 10 inches. Was great fun though. Ice is roughly 24 inches thick... even near the middle.

fish gunner
01-23-2012, 10:24 PM
good to hear.that is a nice stamp of fish deeper than I normally target.good to know the ice is safe to start really searching the for little hot spots .

madatter
01-24-2012, 06:09 AM
Fished about 50 feet of water on the west side. Great action... the second you sunk the the bait down to the bottom, you had another fish on. I was using a double jig perch rig :D and was pulling them up 2 at a time back to back. Also caught a few pike, one being 30 inches. Wasn't really any monster perch but easily got my limit the first hour, all being over 10 inches. Was great fun though. Ice is roughly 24 inches thick... even near the middle.

Any particular bait a person should bring?
Might head there on Wednesday and never fished it before...

goose
01-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Hello we found that maggots worked well but others were using worms. We driled a hole where it is 50 feet but thought it too deep and didn't try the hole, looks like we should have tried it. I was using really small jigs tipped with three maggots and I couldn't keep them off the hook.

Goose

Moults
01-24-2012, 07:36 AM
Hello we found that maggots worked well but others were using worms. We driled a hole where it is 50 feet but thought it too deep and didn't try the hole, looks like we should have tried it. I was using really small jigs tipped with three maggots and I couldn't keep them off the hook.

Goose

Hey Goose! How ya been?

fisherrr
01-24-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up. 50 ft. New to the lake. Is there a way to drive onto the lake? If there is would it be by the campground?

thanks

AK47
01-24-2012, 09:46 PM
Crazy that they bite at 50ft....problem I see with it that most of them you release will die, seen that happen at Sherburne at 35-40 ft, 50 ft is a killer for sure. Not that I think it is a big deal there as that lake is overloaded with perch and with just 5 perch limit some perch dying might be a good thing. It is just makes me mad about that all catch and release and 5 limit perch thing - it is proven again and again to be a failure :angry3:

fish gunner
01-24-2012, 10:24 PM
please explain the failure in regards to burnstick I have landed better than average perch,missed pike I estimate over 10 lbs and released the second largest walleye I have laid eyes on in alberta.the lake is said to contain trout of a fine size on occasion. how is this a failure. I see it as a bright spot in our local area.so cannot agree with your statement.

WabbitKilla
01-24-2012, 10:26 PM
heading out there on Friday, second time out there. I'll be sure to post pics. Hoping to get buddy his first through the ice!! Can a guy access the lake on the west side through the subdivision area??

fish gunner
01-24-2012, 10:39 PM
the village is the best access to burnstick coming in at the campground forces one to cross springs in shallow water.there is access from the resort side,I feel this is 4×4 only. be safe have a great day.I implore you to release the bigger fish to save the bigger members of the gene pool.by this I mean better than 9- 10".this is one of my home waters and hope for its continued improvement. thankx

AK47
01-24-2012, 11:38 PM
I implore you to release the bigger fish to save the bigger members of the gene pool.by this I mean better than 9- 10".this is one of my home waters and hope for its continued improvement. thankx

Releasing them after pulling them on the ice from 50 ft is same as taking them home.

AK47
01-24-2012, 11:42 PM
please explain the failure in regards to burnstick I have landed better than average perch,missed pike I estimate over 10 lbs and released the second largest walleye I have laid eyes on in alberta.the lake is said to contain trout of a fine size on occasion. how is this a failure. I see it as a bright spot in our local area.so cannot agree with your statement.

If people catching and releasing hundreds of perch a day from 35-50FT depth some of them will die anyway. So why not to let people keep more then 5 as they will be dead regardless:sign0176:
My point was about perch, not about any other fish species in that lake.

matathonman
01-25-2012, 02:29 AM
I didn't think that lake had 50' in it! Camped there but never fished it. Just a spot we stayed and then went trout fishin from there. If there's 50' of water there I'll be surprised! I'd say maybe 30'...maybe. Seems to be the norm for around there.

The Elkster
01-25-2012, 02:38 AM
Few spots hit about 60'. There are hydrographics available for the lake.

Easywean
01-25-2012, 08:45 AM
definitely hits 50 feet. I've marked 60' on my fish finder there.

fish gunner
01-25-2012, 09:05 AM
burnstick does in fact have a few spots deedper than 50'.yes I understand fish caught at this depth have very little hope of survival.my remarks as to returning larger fish ,I hope every one is'nt out there fishing 50' of water. in fact the west end of the lakes deep water is at most 30-40 'i have no need to point this out, he say he was fishing 50' good enough for me.I. understand that perch dont do well when year after year the largest fish are taken.this removes the dna that keeps better perch in the lake.perch are a fairly slow growing fish.I have a friend that fished burnstick in his childhood he suggests that a limit of 1lb perch was a normal occurrence.that is near impossible now ,after fishing the lake for over 5 years fairly often I have seen perhaps at best 1 fish close to this size.I believe this is a product of folks harvesting the larger fish year after year. eventually the fact of being larger gets you killed. darwin shows us animals will respond to this over time, the good big dna under constant pressure from anglers will no longer exist.reducing the overall size of the fish in the lake. I lived on the great lakes as a child we had spots where a lucky fellow would see 2 lb perch on occasion now it fishes no better than burnstick.my two bits

calgarygringo
01-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Just go to the Anglers Atlas website and you can download a bathy map there.

WabbitKilla
01-25-2012, 02:29 PM
the village is the best access to burnstick coming in at the campground forces one to cross springs in shallow water.there is access from the resort side,I feel this is 4×4 only. be safe have a great day.I implore you to release the bigger fish to save the bigger members of the gene pool.by this I mean better than 9- 10".this is one of my home waters and hope for its continued improvement. thankx
I appreciate the advice. I'll do my best to conserve the good genes. just hoping to have some good action and keep a few for the pan. Cheers.

Speckle55
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Grats sounds like you had a Great Day :sHa_shakeshout: Thanks for sharing

David

phillcollins
01-25-2012, 03:18 PM
gret info poster, now lets wait for Stinkynuts to announce this wonderful info world wide.....:angry3:

fish gunner
01-25-2012, 03:31 PM
so what if the whole province knows burnstick has a good fishery its a lake it belongs to everyone.they will only succeed at the level of their skill.if they are responsible in their actions and respectful of the regs they will have a great time. a little pressure will soon put the fish down.the lake wont miss a few thousand perch and a few hundred pike. one of my friends is a member of fins and skins and keeps a close watch on the lake,cheaters beware.

Albertadiver
01-25-2012, 03:33 PM
gret info poster, now lets wait for Stinkynuts to announce this wonderful info world wide.....:angry3:

Hey Phil, aren't you the guy that sends the lovely PM's to everyone?

MoFugger21
01-25-2012, 03:44 PM

Hey Phil, aren't you the guy that sends the lovely PM's to everyone?

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=118153&highlight=phillcollins

:)

fisherrr
01-26-2012, 06:08 AM

Thank you. I will be heading out tomorrow to fish this lake.

silver 2007 gmc sierra 4x4 quad cab. come say hello fellow anglers.

WabbitKilla
01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
I`ll be there tomorrow too. Black ford pickup, step side. Will be on west side. See you there.