PDA

View Full Version : Necessities for night fishing Burbot?

Chris89lx
01-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Thinking of giveing it a try this weekend.
What is required in regards to bait and tackle to attract fish in the dark?
What is nice to have but not required?

Newspeak
01-24-2012, 11:20 AM
Burbot are going to key in on sound and scent in the dark.

I don't really use anything different for night fishing than I do during the day. You can buy glow in the dark jigs, and they do work, but I don't find it makes a big difference for Burbot.

Try using a jig tipped with smelt and fish very close to the bottom. Occasionally "drumming" it off the bottom helps make some noise and stir up sediment, which can help attract some fish from further away.

Hope this helps, have fun!

icefever
01-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Portable BBQ, Hamburgers, Hot dogs (for bait) all the fixings, Wobbly pop if you got a driver, flashlight to see what you are doing. Lay some bait on the bottom sit back relax and wait for them to come.

fish gunner
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
I have had good results with a smelt just off bottom,and large power bait minnow on a jig bumped on bottom. I also hear a big ball of worms on a twister tail jig gets them going

BeeGuy
01-24-2012, 11:54 AM
I like thawed, really oily baits with circle hooks. Sitting on the bottom. I'll use a bait from 2oz-12oz+. Big burbs have huge mouths.

If I use a fish type bait I'll slice open it's belly and slice along it's body in order to get more scent going in the water. Oily fishes leave a good scent trail.

Lifting the bait off the bottom every couple minutes will attract more attention and elicit more bites.

I usually let them swim away with the bait when using circle hooks.

BeeGuy
01-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Thinking of giveing it a try this weekend.
What is required in regards to bait and tackle to attract fish in the dark?
What is nice to have but not required?

Where are you planning to go?

azn_rice_man
01-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Where are you planning to go?

Ditto. Been a while since I've had some yummy burbs... :sHa_shakeshout:

Chris89lx
01-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the great info everyone.

Was thinking of going to Pine Coulee Res.

Also what is the size/limit for burbot at PCR?
They are not listed for that lake in the regs.

I have never caught one there but have read about it on here.

Gust
01-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Thanks for the great info everyone.

Was thinking of going to Pine Coulee Res.

strips of whole cleaned squid works really well too and it's cheaper than money.

Another thing too, and others can chime in if they like, the warmer the bait the better the catching,, or better yet, the less ice cube like your smelts or hotdogs are the better.

Logan
01-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Jig + Minnow X Dark = Burbot

burbotman14
01-24-2012, 01:51 PM
The catch limit for pcr would be ten, and there is no size restrictions.

azn_rice_man
01-24-2012, 02:16 PM
strips of whole cleaned squid works really well too and it's cheaper than money.

Another thing too, and others can chime in if they like, the warmer the bait the better the catching,, or better yet, the less ice cube like your smelts or hotdogs are the better.

Interesting suggestion on the squid thing... Gotta try that some time!

Gust
01-24-2012, 02:34 PM
Interesting suggestion on the squid thing... Gotta try that some time!

cut it into shapes and it's a trout killer too. If you have a gripe with a neighbour, duct tape a strip under their mailbox (if they have mail delivery to their house), or just toss some into their gutter, pooooh wheeeee. Also really good fried with coarse salt and pepper and diced jalapenos.

Lefty-Canuck
01-24-2012, 03:05 PM
If fishing on a lake at night....good idea to make sure snowmobilers can see you before it is too late....have fun! I know the location you are going it may not be an issue but something to think about.

LC

TROLLER
01-24-2012, 04:06 PM
Last winter while at the local costco I spot this jar of pickled herring and think now that is something a burbot would take.

Found out it would not stay on the hook so I take it out of the jar and dry it on wax paper for a few days.

Still on the same jar this winter and the burbot love it. Smells like sweet pickles and gives off a ton of oil. Best of all a large jar is only 6 bucks.

azn_rice_man
01-24-2012, 04:09 PM
cut it into shapes and it's a trout killer too. If you have a gripe with a neighbour, duct tape a strip under their mailbox (if they have mail delivery to their house), or just toss some into their gutter, pooooh wheeeee. Also really good fried with coarse salt and pepper and diced jalapenos.

Haha! I'll keep that in mind next time my neighbors don't shovel the sidewalk!

WayneChristie
01-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Last winter while at the local costco I spot this jar of pickled herring and think now that is something a burbot would take.

Found out it would not stay on the hook so I take it out of the jar and dry it on wax paper for a few days.

Still on the same jar this winter and the burbot love it. Smells like sweet pickles and gives off a ton of oil. Best of all a large jar is only 6 bucks.

cant believe you are wasting good pickled herring on fish!!! I have a jar of baby octopus, havent caught anything on them yet, but Ive had some pike up close and personal wondering what the Heck they are! probably work good for burbs, and they are tough as leather