PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Lake P.P. Access Not So Good

shorthair ptr.
01-24-2012, 10:54 AM
Hey all looking to access Pigeon Lake from the Park boat launch. I headed up to lake yesterday morn nice and early, just over two hour drive. I had a good idea that I would be driving out on the ice to really search for the walleye. Upon arrival found a nice ice wall due to the lake heaving. Totally unable to go over with truck in fact it got even higher by days end.
I walked out with hut and all my gear and spent entire day, first line not down hole until about 8:45am. I moved only 3 time in total and had the lake almost all to myself. I ended up with 7 walleye iced and 4 lost. Had a few other hits aswell. I ended up with all three tags filled and some other real nice ones to release. :)

bigfishen
01-24-2012, 11:47 AM
I encountered the same thing on sunday. I was able to still get on at the zeiner access, so for anyone who needs an alternate route that is that best access on this side of the lake.

shorthair ptr.
01-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Where abouts is this access from the P.P.?

Lefty-Canuck
01-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Where abouts is this access from the P.P.?

West from the PP across the lake at the end....from the Thorsby side by the creek that flows into the lake....it is in the "off limits" fishing area....boat launch is close to a big red cabin......not too far past the housing development with the marina.

Just make sure you are outside the "no fishing zone" before you drill holes.

LC

buckmaster
01-24-2012, 06:34 PM
You could get on from the northwest side of the lake just north of where tide creek comes in. Watch for signs on the hwy that say gilwood beach/fisher home.

dragon
01-24-2012, 09:56 PM
I encountered the same thing on sunday. I was able to still get on at the zeiner access, so for anyone who needs an alternate route that is that best access on this side of the lake.

zeiner access is located in the campground. the gate is usually locked during the winter months however they are currently constructing a new shower facility so the gate may get opened??? None the less the access there has heaved slightly and is marginal at best.

Buckmaster is correct. the access would actually be gillwood beach/fisher home

bigfishen
01-25-2012, 02:49 AM
You guys are right, I'm sorry. I realize now that it actually was the fisher home access that i drove on at. Thanks for correcting me.

shorthair ptr.
01-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Thanks guys for the access directions, I may not get up there again for a couple weeks but may still make the trip.

sharpstick
01-25-2012, 11:06 AM
How thick was the ice? Wonder why it's heaving all around the lake. It's like that in Poplar Bay and Crystal Springs too. Heading out there this wkd so hope to get out there with the new shack. Having a guy with a bobcat clear the heave at Crystal Springs launch but you need a key I guess.

bigfishen
01-25-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm not sure what causes the ice to heave the way it does. If someone does know I would be curious to hear the reason. As far as the ice thickness I measured a solid 19 inches when I was out on Sunday.

dragon
01-25-2012, 02:33 PM
I'm not sure what causes the ice to heave the way it does. If someone does know I would be curious to hear the reason. As far as the ice thickness I measured a solid 19 inches when I was out on Sunday.

I think there are a few factors that contribute to ice heaves.

Wind is for sure one.
Weight of the ice mass (snow and ice) likely creates pressure downwards as snow and stuff are added on the surface. the weakest linkts on a sheet of ice would be points and such and depending on the stress cause heaving?

I dunno. all I know is in moonlight bay the ice heaved the farthest up the beach ive seen in recent years. but that happened early in the season.