PDA

View Full Version : Perch vs. Rainbow Trout

King Midas
01-24-2012, 01:12 PM
So a couple days ago, a buddy of mine and I were talking about fishing and somehow a really, really childish question came up. It was "who would win in a fight, a perch or a rainbow trout weighing the same amount". We talked it over for a long time and couldnt agree, so now I am curious to know which you would put your money on, the perch or the bow?

Albertafisher
01-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Rainbow. No question.

HunterDave
01-24-2012, 01:23 PM
Trout are pretty aggressive fish but I'm thinking perch based only on how they manage to take over trout lakes. If perch weren't more aggressive, you'd think that the trout would clean them out of a lake similarly to how introducing pike to a trout lake would clean out the trout. That's my logic however flawed it may be. :)

Kokanee9
01-24-2012, 01:29 PM
I'm going along the lines of perch reproductive numbers trumping over which one is more aggressive compared to the other.

Sundancefisher
01-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Very simple question to answer.

Think of it this way.

Perch were born to run away and hide. They are not the apex predator. They are born the prey regardless of size and instinctively they know it.

Rainbow trout were born the apex predator. They can grow large.

Pound for pound...rainbows fight on tackle way more than perch.

Underwater camera observations also show that when trout come around...perch dive into the weeds to hide.

They know who is boss.

Dust1n
01-24-2012, 02:43 PM
id put my money on the perch because they will eat just about anything they can shove in there mouths.
for agility and speed the rainbows got it in the bag.

Okotokian
01-24-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm going along the lines of perch reproductive numbers trumping over which one is more aggressive compared to the other.

He asked which would be better fighters, not better f******. ;)

pickrel pat
01-24-2012, 04:05 PM
perch with its plated armour and spines all over would trump that silky soft skinned rainbow if they are each a pound...

Guitarplayingfish
01-24-2012, 04:16 PM
perch with its plated armour and spines all over would trump that silky soft skinned rainbow if they are each a pound...

... They aren't fighting each other...? haha... Rainbow would have it hands down.

BeeGuy
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
1 on 1, no holds barred, I give it to the rainbow in the 3rd round by SH (Swallowed hole).

walking buffalo
01-24-2012, 04:40 PM
"who would win in a fight, a perch or a rainbow trout weighing the same amount".

Assuming they would actually fight.

Perch.

They are much better armed (spines) and armoured.

How the heck could a trout hurt a perch of equal size? :confused:

Guitarplayingfish
01-24-2012, 04:49 PM
1 on 1, no holds barred, I give it to the rainbow in the 3rd round by SH (Swallowed hole).

hahahahaha

Dust1n
01-24-2012, 05:13 PM
at phyllis lake they half to stock the lake annually with rainbows.yet it has a population of perch. I think the perch wins haha

yada
01-24-2012, 05:22 PM
I think that a perch will win.
Simple reason
Perch looks more like a fighting fish than a rainbow.

Bhflyfisher
01-24-2012, 05:44 PM
How would a perch win, look at the size of the mouth on them vs. mouth on a rainbow. Even if they were the same size, rainbows would win, especially when you look at the head of a male rainbow, definitely not even a question in my opinion.

FishingFrenzy
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Perch!
They have spines
They camoflauge well with weeds
They have tough skin
Alot firmer of a fish than a rainbow, indicates its a more durable fish.
Perch choke out rainbows in lots of lakes, thats evidence for perch as winners:budo:

gilbertslake
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
How would a perch win, look at the size of the mouth on them vs. mouth on a rainbow. Even if they were the same size, rainbows would win, especially when you look at the head of a male rainbow, definitely not even a question in my opinion.

The winner will be the piranha that is going to referee this match, nothing will dare mess with that dude:sHa_shakeshout:

Sundancefisher
01-24-2012, 07:46 PM
Perch choke out rainbows in lots of lakes, thats evidence for perch as winners:budo:

ah....but the question was not two perch against two trout...so the reproductive argument fails.:bad_boys_20:

BeeGuy
01-24-2012, 08:06 PM
I may have to revise my prediction.

I have realized that the perch will win after a grueling 36hr match using the strategy of death by a thousand cuts.

walleyechaser
01-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I think perch, rainbows seem to die rather easily where as perch can take a beating.

Bazinga44
01-24-2012, 08:50 PM
King- You should know how obvious it is that PERCH would win... They have hard bodies and sharp fins. How many perch have you pulled out of the lake with baby perch in their mouths? Oh yeah...They are cannibals... If that doesn't say "tough", I dont know what does! They survive in lakes filled with pike and walleye displaying that they must have some survival adaptations so that they can maintain their populations. From an evolutionary standpoint, perch's natural selection has given them everything that they would need to compete against a rainbow. Thus, King, you must tell your buddy that the trout would be belly up after one round with the perch.

WayneChristie
01-24-2012, 09:02 PM
tell you what, take a 6 inch perch in one bare hand, and a 6 inch trout in the other hand and give them both a good squeeze. now you decide :bad_boys_20: