PDA

View Full Version : SRD report card

Bigtoad
01-25-2012, 08:06 AM
In terms of how fishing is managed in Alberta, what grade would you give Sustainable Resource Development?

I realize it's a broad question and I would like it to include pike, walleye, perch, and trout, etc. as well as stillwater and flowing water. Broad question so hopefully we have a broad range of opinion as well.

Depending on how the discussion goes, I wouldn't mind sending the link to this poll to SRD to give them some feedback on what outdoorsmen/women in Alberta think about the job that they are doing with our tax dollars.

Cheers.

fishpro
01-25-2012, 09:20 AM
I'd say I disagree, and here are my thoughts.

Pike: Yes there are many lakes that produce big pike, but we aren't allowing them to reach their full potential. I think C&R of all fish over 75cm should be mandatory, there's no need to keep bigger fish. Changes need to be made.

Walleye: I don't fish them much, but I think overall they've done a pretty good job. There are a few lakes that haven't turned out so well, and everyone seems to whine and cry over these rather than getting out and finding new places. I'm sure there are many accessible lakes that have great fishing, they are just a farther drive. Some people like catching lots of smaller fish, some like targetting trophies, we have lakes for both - go find them.

Perch: What can they do? People fish them to get a meal, we have too big of a population to support this, so if we open up limits to be higher people will whine when there's no big fish, if we keep the limit low people will whine that it's not worth going out for a day.

Trout: The management in streams and mountain lakes is quite good. Many good fisheries exist, although some are at risk due to factors like random camping and other similar problems. In terms of stocked lakes, SRD is really falling short, there is quite a high demand for quality and even trophy lakes, but they seem to be having trouble meeting this demand. Every time they suggest a new fishery of this type, there are a few people who are stuck in their ways and don't want to C&R nor are they willing to fish a new lake. With proper management I believe we could have lakes that regularly produce fish in the mid to upper teens, and I'm talking lbs not inches.

Overall we have some good fisheries here, but I don't think they are doing a very good job as there is a lot more they could do to improve our fisheries.

duffy4
01-25-2012, 10:43 AM
Normally people who are happy or saticfied with something don't respond much on a "poll" like this.

Those who are not happy will jump at the chance to rant and vent and complain.

Also hard to get people to give a broad or over all opinion. If their favorite lake or favorite species is nbot doing so well, that is what they will focus on.

So a poll like this does not show a random cross section of how Albertians feel.

TheLegend
01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
They are doing OK in some areas but are lacking in MANY other areas. But again they are terribly under funded and under staffed.

BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES
01-25-2012, 11:51 AM
I think they are doing as well as they can , given the resources they have . If given the chance Hire more Biologists and enforcement officers so that they are not so stretched so far , sadly health care and education are more important to some then our Fishing and hunting .

fish gunner
01-25-2012, 11:54 AM
They are doing OK in some areas but are lacking in MANY other areas. But again they are terribly under funded and under staffed.

I feel this is the key issue in our province.yes there are areas where mangement fails to properly take into account the ramifications of policies on a given water. pine is such a body of water, that could do with help, an over abundance of smaller walleye impacts the lake in a negative manner, eg.low perch numbers,limited food sources for given year class of walleye.on the other hand anglers do not seem to under stand that poor angler responsibility forces,srd to overcompncate.no walleye retained due to the fact the population will face undue pressure from anglers,the result, high numbers of small walleye.this I can grasp and understand. what frustrates me is how can Albertas fisherys can be underfunded, this blows my mind.how is this possible. we have a very high angler to water ratio, there should be an abundance of funds,lot of anglers not alot water to manage.a muffin mix in my opinion.yet this is not the case.I am not a fan of more enforcement,I believe in education and responsible angling practice.both I feel are lacking in alberta.even the hallowed bow faces high poaching pressure.unacceptable.the answer more policing,a poor reality.SRD do what they can with what they have.a travisty in the richest 1% of the planet. mho.

BeeGuy
01-25-2012, 12:09 PM
It'll never be perfect, but they have improved many destroyed fisheries as well as developing new fisheries.

I can catch fish just about anywhere I go which is a good sign.

Not every slough in this province has the potential to be a trophy fishery.

Bigtoad
01-26-2012, 07:50 AM
I'd say I disagree, and here are my thoughts.

Pike: Yes there are many lakes that produce big pike, but we aren't allowing them to reach their full potential. I think C&R of all fish over 75cm should be mandatory, there's no need to keep bigger fish. Changes need to be made.

Walleye: I don't fish them much, but I think overall they've done a pretty good job. There are a few lakes that haven't turned out so well, and everyone seems to whine and cry over these rather than getting out and finding new places. I'm sure there are many accessible lakes that have great fishing, they are just a farther drive. Some people like catching lots of smaller fish, some like targetting trophies, we have lakes for both - go find them.

Perch: What can they do? People fish them to get a meal, we have too big of a population to support this, so if we open up limits to be higher people will whine when there's no big fish, if we keep the limit low people will whine that it's not worth going out for a day.

Trout: The management in streams and mountain lakes is quite good. Many good fisheries exist, although some are at risk due to factors like random camping and other similar problems. In terms of stocked lakes, SRD is really falling short, there is quite a high demand for quality and even trophy lakes, but they seem to be having trouble meeting this demand. Every time they suggest a new fishery of this type, there are a few people who are stuck in their ways and don't want to C&R nor are they willing to fish a new lake. With proper management I believe we could have lakes that regularly produce fish in the mid to upper teens, and I'm talking lbs not inches.

Overall we have some good fisheries here, but I don't think they are doing a very good job as there is a lot more they could do to improve our fisheries.

FishPro, I really couldn't agree with you more on this. Well said. I'm not a walleye guy so I can't speak to that but the others are bang on.

Cheers.

Bigtoad
01-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Normally people who are happy or saticfied with something don't respond much on a "poll" like this.

Those who are not happy will jump at the chance to rant and vent and complain.

Also hard to get people to give a broad or over all opinion. If their favorite lake or favorite species is nbot doing so well, that is what they will focus on.

So a poll like this does not show a random cross section of how Albertians feel.

You do realize the extreme irony in that you are posting on a poll, complaining about how polls only draw in complainers... I guess if you really think about it, you might have just proven your own point.:fighting0074:

Bigtoad
01-26-2012, 08:10 AM

I don't understand the issue of being underfunded. If so, raise the price of fishing licenses to something more appropriate. In NZ, it's $116/year to fish there and $23/day whether you are a resident or not. That's more per day than we pay per year. B.C. licenses cost a ton as well and although I hear complaining, I still see a lot of people out fishing.

Put that extra money right back into SRD and spend it on research and enforcement.

However, I realize that they are underfunded and understaffed, both in the field and in the lab but come on, they've got to do something here. Be creative.

Like why not, when we buy our licenses, also ask if we would like to donate $5 to the Streamwatch program? Easy.

Or when we buy our license online, have a quick questionaire asking a few questions to get a better understanding of what Albertan's want.
ex.
1. Would you be willing to pay an extra $10 for a license if that money went into enforcement?
2. Do you think there should be more C&R or Trophy trout stillwater fisheries in the province?
3. Do you think random camping should be limited in certain areas?

Obviously the questions need some retooling but you get the idea.

Anyway, a few thoughts. Nice discussion so far.

Cheers.

RayL42
01-26-2012, 09:08 AM
I think they are doing as well as they can , given the resources they have . If given the chance Hire more Biologists and enforcement officers so that they are not so stretched so far , sadly health care and education are more important to some then our Fishing and hunting .

x2

duffy4
01-26-2012, 09:35 AM
You do realize the extreme irony in that you are posting on a poll, complaining about how polls only draw in complainers... I guess if you really think about it, you might have just proven your own point.:fighting0074:

LOL

You think I was "complaining"? I thought I was just pointing out an observation. Big difference from complaining.

Presently there is extra money taken off each fishing licence. Some goes to "The Wise Foundation" and some goes to the "Alberta Conservation Association" weather you like it or not.

I once put in a resolution to AF&GA that anglers and hunters (the same situation exists for hunters) be allowed to request their dollars NOT go to these organizations but go to something else they support more (like enforcement or enhanced fisheries management etc.)

It did not get to the conference floor???

pipco
01-26-2012, 09:39 AM
I don't understand the issue of being underfunded. If so, raise the price of fishing licenses to something more appropriate. In NZ, it's $116/year to fish there and $23/day whether you are a resident or not. That's more per day than we pay per year. B.C. licenses cost a ton as well and although I hear complaining, I still see a lot of people out fishing.

Put that extra money right back into SRD and spend it on research and enforcement.

However, I realize that they are underfunded and understaffed, both in the field and in the lab but come on, they've got to do something here. Be creative.

Like why not, when we buy our licenses, also ask if we would like to donate $5 to the Streamwatch program? Easy.

Or when we buy our license online, have a quick questionaire asking a few questions to get a better understanding of what Albertan's want.
ex.
1. Would you be willing to pay an extra $10 for a license if that money went into enforcement?
2. Do you think there should be more C&R or Trophy trout stillwater fisheries in the province?
3. Do you think random camping should be limited in certain areas?

Obviously the questions need some retooling but you get the idea.

Anyway, a few thoughts. Nice discussion so far.

Cheers.

You bring up some very good points and possible initiatives. Maybe the government could also use a little lottery money to help out cash strapped SRD as well?
I'd definitely be willing to pay more for a license if the money was going back to SRD and fisheries.

Bigtoad
01-26-2012, 09:46 AM
LOL
Presently there is extra money taken off each fishing licence. Some goes to "The Wise Foundation" and some goes to the "Alberta Conservation Association" weather you like it or not.

Did not know that. Not sure how I feel about that. Maybe I should make my own association and see if I can get some funding :)

There's another thing that SRD doesn't do - explain to the general public what they are doing, what they are planning to do, and why they are doing it. Their P.R. sucks - again, underfunded, blah, blah.

greylynx
01-26-2012, 12:04 PM
I recall a fellow AO member calling SRD nothing more than a "bucket brigade"'.

He was bang on in his description.

duffy4
01-26-2012, 12:54 PM
I recall a fellow AO member calling SRD nothing more than a "bucket brigade"'.

He was bang on in his description.

Now why on earth would he say that???

And why would you repeat it???

Do you know what SRD is and what they do???

greylynx
01-26-2012, 02:28 PM
Now why on earth would he say that???

And why would you repeat it???

It is the truth.

Do you know what SRD is and what they do???

Yes

Sea Hawk
01-26-2012, 02:50 PM
I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings but I don't think they have done a very good job.I have fished the area north of Edmonton for a long time and I don't see any lake in this area that I would say has been sucessfuly managed.I can't say that they have improved the fishing in very many lakes, if any. I don't buy the lack of funds argument because it doesn't cost a lot of money to pass regulations.They have unlimited freedom to pass any regulations they choose and I feel they could do much better. I remember a few years ago when everyone knew that Utikema was about to winterkill. They opened the lake right up for nets but they were out on the lake measuring every fish we caught. they could have opened it up for everyone.