PDA

View Full Version : Bow at the south deerfoot bridge?

npauls
01-25-2012, 03:48 PM
Can anyone tell me if the section by the southern most deerfoot bridge is open for fishing right now and if so how is the water down there?

We are hoping to hit it on Saturday if the season is open there and if the water is decent. Last time we hit the bow was last winter and it was tough fishing because the slurpee type water we had at fish creek park.

Any info. is greatly appreciated

ÜberFly
01-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Check yer Regs!! :confused0068:

Gust
01-25-2012, 04:00 PM
he's asking about open water as in ice free

npauls
01-25-2012, 04:07 PM
Check yer Regs!! :confused0068:

The section I am talking about is open all year from what I can tell in the regs but is it frozen or like a slurpee down there?

cohod
01-25-2012, 04:17 PM
The section I am talking about is open all year from what I can tell in the regs but is it frozen or like a slurpee down there?

slushy and ice bergs
another couple days or so of warm weather and you will be good to go.

cohod

ÜberFly
01-25-2012, 04:22 PM
Clearly he is asking 2 different questions!! :sHa_shakeshout:

I guess a poor choice of words on his part! LoL

Can anyone tell me if the section by the southern most deerfoot bridge is open for fishing right now

and if so how is the water down there?

npauls
01-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Ya it is my fault on the description sorry.

I just am unsure of each area is called.

Hopefully Saturday will be a good day on the water. I need to get into a few fish on the Bow.

commieboy
01-25-2012, 05:29 PM
Hey Nate,

I was on the water today a few kms north of where you are talking about, but I expect the conditions will be the same. Some ice shelves on the banks and lots of open water. Very little floating ice blocks, and no slush at all. I suspect with the weather how it is, you'll likely have the same conditions on Saturday, unless the forecast changes..... and that NEVER happens, right?

BeeGuy
01-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Hey Nate,

I was on the water today a few kms north of where you are talking about, but I expect the conditions will be the same. Some ice shelves on the banks and lots of open water. Very little floating ice blocks, and no slush at all. I suspect with the weather how it is, you'll likely have the same conditions on Saturday, unless the forecast changes..... and that NEVER happens, right?

Wow, that sounds good!

The NW has been mostly frozen over with lots of icebergs and slush.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

scel
01-25-2012, 06:01 PM
I was out today for a couple of hours.

South of Calf Robe Bridge, it fairly open. No slush. There is the odd iceberg...and dead duck...that will float by...

At fish creek, you should be fine by Saturday.

commieboy
01-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Wow, that sounds good!

The NW has been mostly frozen over with lots of icebergs and slush.

I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

NW section always freezes over, but the treatment plant just north of the Calf Robe helps keep water flowing in the southern city section of the bow. In my last four years winter fishing the Bow, I have never seen this section freeze over completely. It's ALWAYS fishable. Go throw some flies!

Flyfishen
01-25-2012, 06:10 PM
It should be good by then. Although, I would definitely watch out for larger floating Ice shelves by then, and if you are wading out in the river keep you eyes looking upstream for them.
Also, do not wade in if you do not know how deep the water is, and even so, if you are walking on the Ice shelves be aware that they can break and you can get caught in between the large broken ice shelves.
If you are fishing, it is always best to bring along a friend (the canine friends don't count as they can not help if you get into trouble).

Good Luck! There are some huge fish in that area.