PDA

View Full Version : Sage 4200 Series

BGSH
01-25-2012, 07:36 PM
I really wan to get the Sage 4200 Series fly reel in a 5/6 was wondering if someone has this reel, how does it handle and which fly rod would you pair it up with, thank you.

npauls
01-25-2012, 07:37 PM
Did you already wear out that fancy Islander on your TFO?

BGSH
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Did you already wear out that fancy Islander on your TFO?

No, that is a 3/4 i would like a 5/6.

diamonddave
01-25-2012, 07:54 PM
For someone that spends 1600 a month on fishing equipment, I just can't believe that you don't have a 5/6 wt reel...... Come on now

highwood
01-25-2012, 08:22 PM
:party0052:

diamonddave
01-25-2012, 08:26 PM
"I wish I had his kinda money"

Kevin_Thunder
01-25-2012, 08:48 PM
With a $1600 bucks a month budget, how about a Hardy Zane Titanium Fly Reel? You'd just need to save up for a few months. No big deal right? Half a year, just in time for the water to warm up nicely.

http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/hardy-zane-ti-fly-reel-limited-edition/pid--1191/

$1600 bucks a month! You're living the dream! Do it UP!

fish gunner
01-25-2012, 08:56 PM
just asking, but for most applications wont a 3/4 work just fine.?? and yes hardy make a fine reel just cant seem to find one in the pawn shop.??

highwood
01-25-2012, 09:03 PM
With a $1600 bucks a month budget, how about a Hardy Zane Titanium Fly Reel? You'd just need to save up for a few months. No big deal right? Half a year, just in time for the water to warm up nicely.

http://flydepot.com/flyfishing/hardy-zane-ti-fly-reel-limited-edition/pid--1191/

$1600 bucks a month! You're living the dream! Do it UP!

Haha

Geezle
01-25-2012, 10:18 PM
"Look at me!" :party0051:

Dak1138
01-26-2012, 06:14 AM
Ok people we know BGSH has said some stupid things in the past so why always bring them up ? i am sure if you wait a day or two he will come up with something new you can trash him for. He is asking a serious question here so if you don't have an answer for him then just move on.

jeprli
01-26-2012, 08:07 AM
That is a alot of money for an overseas made reel, $300+ depending on size, no thanks. You can find similar reels from east on ebay for $30-$80, a bit different looking but same large arbour design.

Hardy - made in korea, and you can tell, but they did keep the prices like its still made in uk :)

maclennanchris
01-26-2012, 08:39 AM
http://www.just-reels.com/LHDesign.htm

Albertadiver
01-26-2012, 09:03 AM
i am sure if you wait a day or two he will come up with something new you can trash him for.

Great idea! :sHa_shakeshout:

Ryancskor
01-26-2012, 09:11 AM
http://www.just-reels.com/LHDesign.htm

X2 on LH designs, or you could get a cheap ABEL!!! Lol

pipco
01-26-2012, 09:25 AM
I really wan to get the Sage 4200 Series fly reel in a 5/6 was wondering if someone has this reel, how does it handle and which fly rod would you pair it up with, thank you.

For the money I would maybe check out some other reels. I've used a 1600 #5/6 (the low end sage) for the past few years. It has definitely taken a fair bit of abuse and there are many things I like about the reel. Very well made, nice weight, large arbor, easy to change spools, very quiet ( geez, I think I'm convincing myself to buy another Sage) but the drag is a bit wonky.

I changed my mind!
If you do buy the 4200 let me know how it works. Maybe the higher end models have a better drag system? Also check to make sure you'll always be able to get spare spools. I know the 1600 spools won't fit with the higher end models and vice versa.

As far as the rod, that is up to your personal preference.

s

rustynailz
01-26-2012, 09:32 AM
My buddies and I have owned several Sage reels (3200, 3400D, 3500D, 2560) and wouldn't buy another one. Most have had issues with the drag system.

That said, Sage's service has been exceptionally good when issues have arose, but that hasn't helped when it's been in the middle of a trip somewhere. The turning point was when my buddy's 3400D drag came apart while he was fighting a big chum. It turns out a special tool is required to reassemble the reel. Thankfully we were able to jury rig something with two 3/0 hooks and a pair of vise grips.

I absolutely adore Sage rods and own more of them than I'm willing to admit but I pass on their reels. Their new models may be better now, but for my money I really like Nautilus.

Jayhad
01-26-2012, 09:48 AM
Shawn, I have the 4200 in a 7/8. It's on my 7100 Sage One. I have each sage reel model availible currently. It is probably one of the more robust sage models except for the value models, and I think it could take a drop or two and still spin.

I am not surprised that rustynailz has had drag issues with his Sages, the older 3000 series were a bit sketchy. The current line up has worked the issues out, I have a Sage reel that spent a few weeks tumbling down the Bow and the drag is still strong.
My complaint with the Sage reels is that they are built very light and a fall or good drop can make the reel virtually unuseable until it can get hammered out. In a boat this isn't really a concern but for a wade and walker it could make for a short time fishing and a lot of unproductive hiking.
I also don't like that the clicker can't be turned off on the 4200, but being an Islander owner you already are used to clicker noise.
I use Sage reels personally but for my client rods I have Redington CDLs and Deltas they are bomb proof with a life time warranty.
http://www.redington.com/reels_landing.html

highwood
01-26-2012, 10:23 AM
Honestly, for the type of fishing you do BGSH, I'm not sure why you want to buy these types of reels. Muir Lake rainbows aren't gonna smoke your Islander, regardless of the line class. That being said, I haven't used the Sage 4200 so I can't comment on the quality. However, keep in mind that a nice shiny fly reel doesn't make you a good flyfisherman.

Bhflyfisher
01-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Muir lake rainbows aren't going to smoke any reel, or any rod, They aren't a far running fish (they are a bit sluggish). Your islander is fine. Although you might just be thinking of the looks of your match right now. I know that I've had a few reels that look weird on some rods because they look small. But my real question is, if you're fishing a 5 or 6 weight right now... why would you buy a 3/4 islander in the first place?

Personally, I like Ross reels, the vexsis is a sweeter reel than the 4200 in my opinion. But thats my opinion.

highwood
01-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Muir lake rainbows aren't going to smoke any reel, or any rod, They aren't a far running fish (they are a bit sluggish). Your islander is fine. Although you might just be thinking of the looks of your match right now. I know that I've had a few reels that look weird on some rods because they look small. But my real question is, if you're fishing a 5 or 6 weight right now... why would you buy a 3/4 islander in the first place?

Personally, I like Ross reels, the vexsis is a sweeter reel than the 4200 in my opinion. But thats my opinion.

An excellent question..

Lazerloop
01-26-2012, 05:29 PM
I have a couple 4560's, a couple 2540's and a 6000 sages they are all awesome reels. I have tried lots of other brands but these are the best. Sure they are pricey but you get what you pay for. Never had a problem with any of them. Never ever had a drag issue,and I have had the 25's for a long time now, even after full submersion. and with the 45's or the 25's you can buy spare spools in CF. which if you have alot of different lines like myself pays off in the end.