PDA

View Full Version : Need Ice fishing help, Gull Lake whitefish.

Bluegrass
01-26-2012, 09:03 PM
Ok sO recently I've been having the worst luck in my attempt to catch whitefish, I use a regular worm hook with a few maggots/white, and usually I see a few fish catch check it out, mostly swim up slowly and graze it. Some have bitten but spit out right away! Omg so annoying, getting annoyed:( any help guys!

Hunter Trav
01-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Just keep trying different colors and jigging patterns. Maybe try with out maggots for a bit, some guys never use them. Make sure the wire worm hangs horizontal not vertical. You've got fish coming to the hooks so its just a matter of fine tuning it till they bite and stick. Keep at er you'll get some eventually...

Gust
01-26-2012, 09:25 PM
try not using a weight and keep the bait just barely bumping the bottom,,, i don't use maggots for whites,,, or try a simple wire worm,, i'll write more once the tylenol kicks in

Mike_W
01-26-2012, 09:36 PM
Use light line 4 lb tops .... I've had good luck with Berkley vanish. Kelp your hook horizontal and don't jig it when a fish is approaching. Once the hook is sucked in set the hook ASAP as a white won't hold on for long.

Good luck

wbaj
01-26-2012, 09:44 PM
Some good info here. I can add one more, try slowly jigging the hook to higher levels in the water and then let it free fall back down. Sometimes whites simply can't resist a falling hook.

Dust1n
01-26-2012, 09:48 PM
go deep....

Rabdo
01-26-2012, 09:57 PM
this is my first season ice fishing, i feel your pain Bluegrass lol just keep at er though, once day they'll bight, next day they won't. atleast for me anyway, still figuring it out

some good tips on here for sure. use light line, once in a while let it free fall, and i think most importantly, don't move your hook when the fish is lookin at it

all i've been using is a yellow wire worm, or yellow and copper wire worm. tip it with white maggot or sometimes 2. keep the worm presentation horizontal.

good luck!

Gust
01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Some good info here. I can add one more, try slowly jigging the hook to higher levels in the water and then let it free fall back down. Sometimes whites simply can't resist a falling hook.

it's the fall when they go for it or just as it bottoms,,, that's the key to it really.

carterM
01-26-2012, 10:36 PM
Ya if you've got them coming in to look at it that's half the battle. One thing that will help your hooking % is to try to spin the lure (SLOWLY) towards the fish when it's coming in. That way they suck in the hook first. Gives you a hair more time. I had a great big girl come in last weekend from the side of the hook. She bit it, but the pointy part never got in her mouth...now THAT is frustrating lol.

In general though, you want to move it as little as possible while they're approaching it. I think the maggot helps in that they tend to approach the lure from the hook end so you don't have to try to turn it and potentially spook them. If all else fails, pull out the bow and arrow lol.

wbaj
01-26-2012, 10:45 PM
it's the fall when they go for it or just as it bottoms,,, that's the key to it really.

X2
I like to also lift and drop in a sandy bottom, I have seem them with their tails straight up sifting through the bottom to dig out what they saw falling.
This works on most lakes but I really struggle with the whites at Battle. I have caught a few but most days are a bust even if I see lots. Been fishing 30 plus years for them but that is a tough lake.

natedawg
01-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Try switching it up once in awhile from a wireworm to a small yellow jig, also hanging horizontal and keep constant motion on the tail. They are harder to land on this rig, but seem to attract more fish. With whites, sometimes moving 10feet over will make a huge difference to. Depending on the day, you might need to drill quite a few holes.

icechips
01-27-2012, 09:05 PM
The one thing you should try is fishing higher up about half
way down . Leaving your hook in what i call bright water.
Raise and lower your hook and you'll soon see what i mean
if the fish are lower drop down to the depth there at

kinwahkly
01-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Was out today on the west side, 9 feet water, some sand and weed bottom, yellow wire worm, with copper was the ticket, you had to be quick on the take as they were hitting fast and light, all good points, some were taken mid water column depth and some on the drop.took me all morning but got it done, fattys for sure.

BeeGuy
01-27-2012, 09:25 PM
What about a witaskiwin special?

nursygirl
02-02-2013, 01:06 PM
There are some great tips here! How is it possible to preform most of these techniques without a camera to see when the fish are approaching? This is my first season ice fishing in Alberta, I have only fished for trout in BC. I have gone out to Gull 3 times in the last couple weeks without even a bite. Seems like everyone around us was landing a few. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Brent_reid
02-02-2013, 01:51 PM
Was there yesterday and we got our 3 each you need a tent and watch them come in as soon as you see them stop moving the hook till they take it in their mouth. Cameras are good but ive never needed one to catch whitefish

Dewey Cox
02-02-2013, 02:25 PM
My favorite thing about whitefish fishing is that you don't have to spend much on tackle. Next time on your way out to gull, stop at "The wooden shoe" convenience store. They sell maggots and wire worms. Just ask what is selling the best. That's usually what the fish are biting on. Grab a roll of King mints while you're there too. The whites hate bad breath.

MikeGuo
05-31-2013, 11:11 AM
Anyone ever fished for whitefish over in Mcgregor Lake? (ice or otherwise)?how are the bites there?