PDA

View Full Version : Fishing today - Jan 26 2012

Ken07AOVette
01-26-2012, 10:45 PM
How was it?

Great here, biggest brookie I have ever caught, 3 lbs. Took all of 4 minutes in the tent. I know that's likely nothing for you guys down south, but for us it's decent. I felt bad, she was full of eggs, but of course Shuster is a stocked lake, no spawning.

Tasted great too!

Total 4 brookies on the ice today, 1 rainbow about 1.5 lbs.

BeeGuy
01-26-2012, 10:52 PM
3lbs is an awesome brookie!

pics?

azn_rice_man
01-26-2012, 10:53 PM
Did it take u a year to post this or did I hop onto the Delorean on my way home? :p

Great catch on the brookie! Got any pics?

Gust
01-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Did it take u a year to post this or did I hop onto the Delorean on my way home? :p

hahaha,,,

but ken that sounds like an awesome fish,, we down south are jealous too. congrats

Ken07AOVette
01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
3lbs is an awesome brookie!

pics?

Seriously??? I thought she was very nice, but didnt know it was awesome.

I was going to, but again, thought the real trout fishing guys would laugh at my little brookie. Demmit. :sign0161:

I dont know what you are talking about :thinking-006:

(ninja edit)

Thanks ARM.

hahaha,,,

but ken that sounds like an awesome fish,, we down south are jealous too. congrats

Seriously, damn I wish I had taken a picture. I am going to go out again Sunday, if I catch another there will be a pic for sure. I saw the strangest thing, about every hour and a half or so, give or take these 2 HUGE brookies would swing through, almost synchronized. I have never seen them in pairs.

Thanks GV, its cool to know!

With the eggs, crap and the minnows out that she was full of out I am sure there was 1/4 lb there, but she was still nice. The other 2 were, and I am not kidding at all, easily 4-5 lbs or more.

There will definately be pictures if I get them.

ogre
01-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Yep, those are big. I haven't come across any remotely close to the brookies in the stocked waters down here as what you got. Great job and thanks for sharing.

BeeGuy
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
Seriously, that's a good brookie. Do you know if it is a 2n or 3n fish? They are stocking triploids in the province.

We watched lots of brookies swimming in 'pods' this winter. up to 5 or so at a time. Haven't seen one over 3lbs since I lived in Nipigon.

Nice catch.

fish gunner
01-26-2012, 11:08 PM
How was it?

Great here, biggest brookie I have ever caught, 3 lbs. Took all of 4 minutes in the tent. I know that's likely nothing for you guys down south, but for us it's decent. I felt bad, she was full of eggs, but of course Shuster is a stocked lake, no spawning.

Tasted great too!

Total 4 brookies on the ice today, 1 rainbow about 1.5 lbs.

great fish that is a nice brookie any where in the west.however brook trout can breed in a lake.no big deal.now if I can just catch one near that size.my personal best 2lb2oz.hope to beat that this weekend.will keep you posted how we do.again good catch.

Speckle55
01-26-2012, 11:23 PM
Grats Very Nice Brookie .get that 4 lber Ken:)

Ken07AOVette
01-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Yep, those are big. I haven't come across any remotely close to the brookies in the stocked waters down here as what you got. Great job and thanks for sharing.

Thanks!

Seriously, that's a good brookie. Do you know if it is a 2n or 3n fish? They are stocking triploids in the province.
We watched lots of brookies swimming in 'pods' this winter. up to 5 or so at a time. Haven't seen one over 3lbs since I lived in Nipigon.
Nice catch.

sorry Bee, I googled 2n 3n brook trout, but I don't know what that means...

great fish that is a nice brookie any where in the west.however brook trout can breed in a lake.no big deal.now if I can just catch one near that size.my personal best 2lb2oz.hope to beat that this weekend.will keep you posted how we do.again good catch.

Damn, ok no more hens for me, just pictures.

Grats Very Nice Brookie .get that 4 lber Ken:)

Ok! :sHa_shakeshout: thank you :)

BeeGuy
01-26-2012, 11:48 PM
They stock rainbows and brookies in AB with 2 different genetic profiles.

2n- are diploid fish, or wild type
3n- are triploid fish which have 3 sets of chromosomes. they dont breed and they grow super fast. farm fish are often triploids.

Yours had a gut full of eggs which would suggest to me it's a 2n trout. If you look on the stocking reports they identify which fish stock type is put in each lake......it's not a bad way of finding huge trout.

Just look for 3n fish stocked 3+ years ago, and if there's any left, they'll be big ones!

Sweet catch. I wish I knew some spots closer to calgary with brookies of that caliber.

mark gingell
01-27-2012, 01:15 AM
nice fish. We catch a few at atchison lake sask the odd time.

Ken07AOVette
01-27-2012, 10:37 AM
Oh, forgot, Oldman took this picture yesterday, here is Oldman and my brook trout. The sun was a funny color, made the snow and ice look funny.....:thinking-006: Made him look about 20 years younger too! :)

http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af145/rmheal/DSCF5819.jpg

:sHa_sarcasticlol: remind you of anyone? :scared0018:

Ken07AOVette
01-27-2012, 10:38 AM
I forgot he managed to get a couple pictures of the ones swimming around in pairs, and while the camera was only black and white, he is real good with crayons!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/rockwell5243/7820Brook20Trout20Headwaters20Henry.jpg :medium-smiley-035:

gilbertslake
01-27-2012, 01:18 PM
I forgot he managed to get a couple pictures of the ones swimming around in pairs, and while the camera was only black and white, he is real good with crayons!

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s227/rockwell5243/7820Brook20Trout20Headwaters20Henry.jpg :medium-smiley-035:

they are too small, they still have parr marks, can you blow up the photo and use the crayons on the parr marks to make them keepers

Ken07AOVette
01-27-2012, 04:19 PM
they are too small, they still have parr marks, can you blow up the photo and use the crayons on the parr marks to make them keepers

No, they are huge, that picture was taken with no zoom at 14' away! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I am glad no one jumped in with "that's not You! That's not Oldman!" Thats not winter" LOL!

I have to go buy him more crayons :)

WayneChristie
01-27-2012, 06:32 PM
No, they are huge, that picture was taken with no zoom at 14' away! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I am glad no one jumped in with "that's not You! That's not Oldman!" Thats not winter" LOL!

I have to go buy him more crayons :)

I must be dam tired, didnt even notice the open water. TGIF!!!!!! finally
congrats on the trout

fishpro
01-27-2012, 06:43 PM
Nice work, a 3 lb brookie is an impressive catch outside of Labrador and a very select few other places.

Ken07AOVette
01-27-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks Wayne, Fishpro :)

I am so mad, man I wish I would have taken pictures :angry3::sign0161::mad3:

All I have left is a frozen filet LOL.

Anyone want to see a pic of that? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Ken07AOVette
01-27-2012, 07:04 PM
I must be dam tired, didnt even notice the open water. TGIF!!!!!! finally
congrats on the trout

Heh, thats funny. I just found the pictures online, I don't know who the guy is, and the brookies is just a stock picture.

I will get some real ones Sunday!

Know whats gonna happen though? Now that I caught that nice one, I am going to be in Hawaii thinking about damn ice fishing :sign0176:

Willowtrail
01-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Anyone want to see a pic of that? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

I do. :sHa_shakeshout:

gprime27
01-27-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm just keeping my mouth shut on my brook situation :D

WayneChristie
01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Know whats gonna happen though? Now that I caught that nice one, I am going to be in Hawaii thinking about damn ice fishing :sign0176:

not if you are at the beach you wont, fishing wont even cross your mind :bad_boys_20: