PDA

View Full Version : Narrows at Slave

ACS
01-27-2012, 03:48 AM
Any one been to the narrows? can you drive out? Want to make the trip, but would prefer to drive out vs. using the sled...

Scottie
01-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Haven't been to the narrow yet this year but heard there's a large ice heav right when you head on the lake. I'd take the sled just in case and see if there's tracks.

outdoors forever
01-27-2012, 08:21 AM
Theres plenty of ice on Lesser Slave, I was out to Cutbank yesterday, and there was a good 18 inches.

Can't say for the Narrows, but there sure is a lot of ice heaves and uneven places all over the west end.

My advice would be to follow tracks that are already there - go where others have gone.

I wouldn't try to make my own way on that lake right now.

gube
01-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I need to get a "shack" hauled out to Canyon Creek. Wonder if any one has been driving on at Canyon yet?

Shmag
01-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I need to get a "shack" hauled out to Canyon Creek. Wonder if any one has been driving on at Canyon yet?

I don't think you would have any trouble getting on Canyon, trucks have been driving pretty easy out at nine mile point which isnt too far off.

As far as the narrows, i seen first hand the variations of ice thickness on normal yrs....there is no way i'm going out there this yr

gube
01-27-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't think you would have any trouble getting on Canyon, trucks have been driving pretty easy out at nine mile point which isnt too far off.

As far as the narrows, i seen first hand the variations of ice thickness on normal yrs....there is no way i'm going out there this yr

Yup. I've seen variations of up to a foot out at the narrows. I am amazed at how much the water moves over there and is quite noticeable on the underwater camera. The only way I would ever go there is with a quad or sled.

Daceminnow
01-27-2012, 08:46 PM

I agree. Lots of moving water out there. Play it safe guys.

Dace

Shmag
01-27-2012, 08:47 PM
I had a buddy moving shacks out there last yr with his hagglund, he was going to bring another shack out, when a snowcat was skidding one out, took a different line and the snowcat broke through.

Another time i was there, we needed an extention to get through the ice, i moved about a mile to the east and drilled, i was about 150 yrds away from a heave and there was only about a foot of ice there. From that day forward i was always cautious about the ice there....strong currents

Scottie
01-28-2012, 02:53 AM
So true, I had my shack out there for two years but with the extreme amounts of snow and the crazy ice conditions I moved it closer to town and now have it at assiano. Fishing at the narrows was probably the best but not worth it in my books, the last year I had my shack out there we had to use a tracked argo to get it off because there was no way to ever get a truck close to the lake.

I had a buddy moving shacks out there last yr with his hagglund, he was going to bring another shack out, when a snowcat was skidding one out, took a different line and the snowcat broke through.

Another time i was there, we needed an extention to get through the ice, i moved about a mile to the east and drilled, i was about 150 yrds away from a heave and there was only about a foot of ice there. From that day forward i was always cautious about the ice there....strong currents