PDA

View Full Version : Favorite flies

24/7 fishing
01-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Hey there I am trying to get some ideas of some flies to tie so I am wondering what everyones favourite fly is?

Lornce
01-27-2012, 10:35 AM
It would really depend where you where fishing and what time of year. Buggers are always good but a lot of others work seasonally.

Dust1n
01-27-2012, 10:40 AM
wooly buggers
leeches
adams
Hopper
Elk Hair Caddis
Pheasent Tail Nymph
Hares Ear Nymph
SJW

24/7 fishing
01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
wooly buggers
leeches
adams
Hopper
Elk Hair Caddis
Pheasent Tail Nymph
Hares Ear Nymph
SJW

What kind of Hopper do you use?

24/7 fishing
01-27-2012, 10:53 AM
It would really depend where you where fishing and what time of year. Buggers are always good but a lot of others work seasonally.

I fish the Bow a lot

Lornce
01-27-2012, 10:58 AM
That's a nice mix Fish hunter I would throw in
Caddis Larva
Prince Nymph

bobalong
01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
I fish the Bow a lot

Hopper/Dropper-dry line
Large conehead white/brown streamers-dry line with sink tip
SJ/bead head prince or tungstud-dry line with indicator

TheLegend
01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Crystal Bugger
Pheasant Tail nymph
Chernobyl Ant

densa44
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm not so hot, but I have found that elk hair caddis is easy to tie and works great here in Alberta. I'd have to admit over the years that my hopper has gotten to look like a large elk hair caddis.

I was fishing Fallen timer years ago and as I walked up to the stream through a pasture, hundreds of hoppers got up and some were blown on to the water.

It looked like piranha eating tourists! When I cast and missed and the elk hair fly landed in the grass on the far side, and when I pulled it in, I got a hit every time.

The nymph fellows as a rule will catch more but for heart stopping action you can't beat dry flies and hair ones are the best (IMO)! Welcome to a new addiction for which there is no known cure.

My wife and I are off to the Florida Flats next month, I'll let you know how we make out.

gilbertslake
01-27-2012, 12:05 PM
Hey there I am trying to get some ideas of some flies to tie so I am wondering what everyones favourite fly is?

Are we only talking trout here? and where are you fishing, river, lake (mountain or lowland). time of year you are fishing, or are flies for all times of year? It would help to know this as I use different patterns for each including mountain lakes with later hatches than lowland lakes.
I find that over in the east of the province where I am, I don't see as many caddis early in the season and tend to fish deeper with chironomids or surface with midge emergers. Also fishing just sub-surface with srteamers and mid-depth with bigger nymphs until mid-July then I fish more with dry-flies and more so terrestrials, with a suspended nymph after 3rd week of August.

Mark
01-27-2012, 12:23 PM
Pistol Pete Marabou Bugger bar none.

Speckle55
01-27-2012, 12:23 PM
one fly for me a Green Doc Spratley size 8 to 10 trolling

Black / Red /Gray Chironomid

Royal Wulff or Royal Humpy red

anything that works;;:sHa_sarcasticlol:

David

lannie
01-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Stimulator is a great pattern to tie. Very useful on all water.

mapleleafman3
01-27-2012, 01:34 PM
parachute adams
RL BH hares ear
squirrel tail
Stimulator
Elk hair caddis
micro leech
buggers

gilbertslake
01-27-2012, 01:52 PM
one fly for me a Green Doc Spratley size 8 to 10 trolling

Black / Red /Gray Chironomid

Royal Wulff or Royal Humpy red

anything that works;;:sHa_sarcasticlol:

David

x2 on Doc Spratley green, but also red, black and olive and I also go to #6

I like the Grey Wullf over the Royal Wulff as it imitates a lot of different medium-big mayflies and I have caught a lot of fish on it during hatches of big caddis

I carry a variety of chironomids (and a stomach pump, good to take a sample to see what it is the fish are predominantly feeding on)

biggyJ
01-27-2012, 02:19 PM
A couple of favourites of mine on cutty streams

Purple haze
klinkhammer
crystal beetle

fishstix
01-27-2012, 03:17 PM
I like the h and l variant it is definitely my favorite dry . It floats really high in water and it's easy to see.
For a streamer I would have to say I like the double bunny.

Swolf
01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Elk Hair Caddis is a must have, and in my opinion one of the most versatile flys. This fly will catch fish year round in any river or stream in southern AB.

24/7 fishing
01-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks for all the help I think I have got a good day of tying ahead of me now. :)

flyguyd
01-27-2012, 10:29 PM
Cutthroat
H & L Varient
Parachute Adams
Elk hair caddis

Rainbow
Brown woolly bugger
Brown 1/2 back
Sofa Pillow

RisingRainbows
01-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Definately Klinkhammer's Special

biggamehunter
01-28-2012, 12:16 AM
Leeches
Ptn
Damsel
Double bunny
Caddis (dry, pupa, lavae)
Orange stimulator
Bastard adams
Parachute adama
Chronimids (red and black, red and silver)
Clouser
Bunny leech
Deciever (for pike)

fish gunner
01-28-2012, 12:34 AM
streamers often pull larger fish,bulls also have a weekness given predatory habits.
mickey finn
black nose dace
jacobs coat
bleeding gill
november special
these flys in various sizes should keep you on track to the big boys 4x-2xlong shanks would be my hook of choice.