PDA

View Full Version : ice fishing set up /what do you think?

Eddy62
01-28-2012, 07:14 AM

as i was in sicamous with my family after my father suffered a stroke i needed to clear my mind so i went into the shop and decided to make this rig for ice fishing. it was not my idea it was from an ao member that mentioned it in a past post,thank you my friend and im sorry i cant remember your name lol,what do you anglers think any suggestions on changes,,,,,,,,,,,,,,now i need some pike.........................later

WayneChristie
01-28-2012, 07:16 AM
must be too early, I dont see a thing!!! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Jiffy10
01-28-2012, 07:22 AM
looks like it should work like a damn !

just wondering about a drag system.

I cant really see it on the pic..

WayneChristie
01-28-2012, 07:23 AM
must be too quick on the draw :) only thing I can see is you might want a bungie or something to keep the folding sides together when a big fish runs. bring it down to Newell today and try it out!
And I hope your dad is ok.

Eddy62
01-28-2012, 07:25 AM
im clicking and its coming up fine at this end i dont no whats wrong....sorry guys

WayneChristie
01-28-2012, 07:26 AM
im clicking and its coming up fine at this end i dont no whats wrong....sorry guys

I just beat the picture download, its working fine now. now get off the computer and go catch some fish with it!

Eddy62
01-28-2012, 07:27 AM
must be too quick on the draw :) only thing I can see is you might want a bungie or something to keep the folding sides together when a big fish runs. bring it down to Newell today and try it out!
And I hope your dad is ok.txs wayne.......i was thinking strong elastic bands thanks for advice fellows i am trying to figure something out for drag:)

WayneChristie
01-28-2012, 07:30 AM
txs wayne.......i was thinking strong elastic bands thanks for advice fellows i am trying to figure something out for drag:)

I wouldnt worry too much about drag, tip ups work just fine without it. I think that rig would work great attached to one of my wind jiggers too.

Geezle
01-28-2012, 07:54 AM
txs wayne.......i was thinking strong elastic bands thanks for advice fellows i am trying to figure something out for drag:)

Don't bother with the drag...with most tip-ups and similar rigs you usually want the fish to be able to take the bait with as little resistance as possible.

Then you hand bomb it up :)

MoFugger21
01-28-2012, 09:11 AM
Looks pretty cool! Well done!

Couple things I would be concerned about:
-having something to make the ends rigid, so when a fish grabs on or the wind comes up, the unit doesn't collapse or your dowel doesn't fall into the hole.
-And also a drag system- not super important, but if you're going be using bigger bait that is suspended, you'll need a way to stop/slow the bait from pulling line and laying on the bottom. If you use light tackle or lay bait on the bottom, a drag is moot.

Otherwise, looks like it'll work dam fine!

chain2
01-28-2012, 10:33 AM
remove the end caps that hold the shaft....the dowel shaft should have ends like a "bar bell or I " to hold the unit together. It should work fine without straps ect. then...just a thought..chain

WayneChristie
01-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Looks pretty cool! Well done!

Couple things I would be concerned about:
-having something to make the ends rigid, so when a fish grabs on or the wind comes up, the unit doesn't collapse or your dowel doesn't fall into the hole.
-And also a drag system- not super important, but if you're going be using bigger bait that is suspended, you'll need a way to stop/slow the bait from pulling line and laying on the bottom. If you use light tackle or lay bait on the bottom, a drag is moot.

Otherwise, looks like it'll work dam fine!

could always suspend a bigger bait with a bobber as well, then you have a good strike indicator

MoFugger21
01-28-2012, 09:28 PM
could always suspend a bigger bait with a bobber as well, then you have a good strike indicator

Ya that's true, a bobber would do the trick.

And a guy could tie a bell to the dowel and you've got yourself a home made alarm! :)

WayneChristie
01-28-2012, 09:38 PM
Ya that's true, a bobber would do the trick.

And a guy could tie a bell to the dowel and you've got yourself a home made alarm! :)

guess I havent had enough beer tonight, looks to me like theres a bell tied to the dowell :bad_boys_20:

FiveO
01-28-2012, 09:47 PM
That is one bohunk of a setup. Looks like it will work. Chuck the rod out, tie a string with hook to your windshiled wiper, set the delay on low and use your home made unit with pickeral rig. You will become the mayor of Smokey Lake within the week.

MoFugger21
01-28-2012, 10:54 PM
guess I havent had enough beer tonight, looks to me like theres a bell tied to the dowell :bad_boys_20:

Well then... Good call. I didn't have a drink tonight... maybe that's my problem, my brain isn't very observant without a few rums in the system. Lol.

Or that's what happens when i check the forum on my phone. Oops!

anthony5
01-28-2012, 11:01 PM
MO party not up to standards:snapoutofit:

Freedom55
01-29-2012, 01:09 PM
I use the exact same rig, without the rig. The dowel sits on the ice so tinkerbells wouldn't work. I look for the rotating colors (red & white) and can hear the noise off the ice. Build little rests out of slush and let them freeze. This technology was shown to me forty years ago by a man who was more than 60, then. The trick is to be patient as you watch the line peel off. When it stops, it will go again when the pike changes hands then SET the hook. They work great. I don't leave home without them.
BTW Thats some kinda string you got there!! Try dacron.
You might consider a slip-on winder of some kind, a way to re-spool the string after a catch.

Free

wallycranker
01-29-2012, 06:18 PM
looks like a deadly setup. Only issue i could see is the line being above the water wich will freeze up. Its nice having braid in the hole so it allows the pike to run with big baits with out feeling resistance so they have time to get the bait planted. Would be a awesome setup for warm weather.

Jiffy10
01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
not to be a doubter but...]

all summer we set hooks on almost everything we feel tuggin our line.

we spend time to ensure our drag is just right so we can play a fish
without allowing him to spit the bait.

all winter ... we set the hook hard and have our drag adjusted for
a good run etc..

heck... I've seen those tip ups with the spring loaded rods so
the agressive snap up set to ensur theof a good hook set .

but tip ups dont need any resistance ???

mmmmm... I'm the last guy to question anyones tactics on the forum
but a dead bait with no resistance

Just thinking that a bit of resistance somehow would help set the hook
stronger and keep the fish from spoolin ya before you get out
60 feet of line.

just my way of thinking / opinion

enjoy the nice weather everyone....

see you on the ice.....

MoFugger21
01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
..... mmmmm... I'm the last guy to question anyones tactics on the forum
but a dead bait with no resistance

Just thinking that a bit of resistance somehow would help set the hook
stronger and keep the fish from spoolin ya before you get out
60 feet of line.

just my way of thinking / opinion

enjoy the nice weather everyone....

see you on the ice.....

Not sure what you mean by "set the hook stronger". The drag on a tip up is meant to help suspend the bait where you want it in the water column. It isn't meant to act like the "automatic fisherman" and set the hook for you. You do that by hand. And if the fish runs, you regulate the tension on the line with your hands, so the line doesn't go slack and allow the fish to spit the hooks.

On a free spooling setup, like most/all tip ups, you want the least resistance possible. You want the fish to be able to grab the bait and swim away with it, without feeling something pulling back at it. If the fish feels resistance, it's most likely to spit the bait out or rip it off your hooks and go else where.