PDA

View Full Version : Killer Pike Flies

biggamehunter
01-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Whats your favorite flies to use for pike? It would be helpful if you could add a pic. Here's mine!
Mainly deceiver patterns with some of my own patterns.

Albertafisher
01-28-2012, 11:58 AM
Insane flies! I'm sure all of them will produce. What setup are you chuckin' them with?

FishingFrenzy
01-28-2012, 12:00 PM
I use a bigger version of that pink one when I spey cast in Wabuman.

biggamehunter
01-28-2012, 12:27 PM
Thanks and lol I'm still looking for a nice set up. I think I have found it though, I'm gunna hit up the fishin hole and purchase an 7/8 weight G. Loomis Venture reel, with a TFO signature rod. FH7 and I are wading in the shallow bays of a few central Alberta lakes that have produced trophy pike. We will be running the flies about a foot under the surface.

biggamehunter
01-28-2012, 12:28 PM
I use a bigger version of that pink one when I spey cast in Wabuman.

Yeah I think I am gonna tie them a bit bigger.

Albertafisher
01-28-2012, 12:43 PM
Thanks and lol I'm still looking for a nice set up. I think I have found it though, I'm gunna hit up the fishin hole and purchase an 7/8 weight G. Loomis Venture reel, with a TFO signature rod. FH7 and I are wading in the shallow bays of a few central Alberta lakes that have produced trophy pike. We will be running the flies about a foot under the surface.

Can I recommend this rod; http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/imperial-fly
TFO is great, but I've been a St.Croix guy ever since I've started using them. I have a couple of St.Croix (Including the Imperial in a 5w 4pc) and it's been great. I've used TFO in the same price range. So not to derail this thread, but that's just my advise to you, take as you wish. And good luck with those flies!

fish gunner
01-28-2012, 12:51 PM
I tie giant flys roughly based on the micky finn the differance being they are tied with a larger profile and use more wire on the hook shank as well as epoxing the the body of the fly. this helps the fly last a few more fish .

fishpro
01-28-2012, 01:08 PM

Also look into the Redington Predator, I've got the 8'3" 9wt, great pike rod, handles the large flies very well.

wbaj
01-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Also look into the Redington Predator, I've got the 8'3" 9wt, great pike rod, handles the large flies very well.

Has anyone tried to make their own? I was thinking about trying it, but do not know how much effort this would take. I would be very interested in comments by any who has.

Badflies
01-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Well I usually get pike on big black wooly buggers. In this pic it's a really small pike but you can see a bead head bugger in his lip.
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q567/badflies/3a30fcda.jpg

chubbdarter
01-29-2012, 08:57 PM
http://i607.photobucket.com/albums/tt154/azzrocket2/004-41.jpg

biggamehunter
01-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Nice chub! Whats your recipe and which is the most effective for spring?

biggamehunter
01-29-2012, 09:31 PM
And I'm getting the loop adventure rod and reel combo

biggamehunter
01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
i might get the pike booster instead though

gilbertslake
01-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Has anyone tried to make their own? I was thinking about trying it, but do not know how much effort this would take. I would be very interested in comments by any who has.

I have made about 50+ over the years and restored almost as many. i am currently building another 9ft 8wt 3 piece then will be building a 9ft 10wt 3-piece.

You should get a good book, or at least do a youtube search for fly rod building. Decide what rod you want to build, length, line weight action. Initially it is best to buy a pre-formed handle and fighting butt, but once you are more proficient you can make your own cork handles. You will need a guide spacing chart, if you are going for a heavier weight rod for pike, say a 9 or 10wt, I have a good spacing chart I can e-mail to you.
For a first rod, keep things simple. I would go with a cheaper blank and single colour wraps. You can do the fancy stuff once you get used to wrapping and applying wrap finish.
Things you need to be aware of. You will need to ream out the cork handle to fit the blank, so a decent reamer is required. I made my own set using old rod blank pieces, coated in epoxy and rolled in sand. You will need to know how to find the spine on each section so the guides are either all along the spine or 180 degrees to the spine, depending on how you want the rod to load.
ideally you need a drying motor (6rpm) and a drying jig.
A Dremel tool is also handy for carving out hooded recesses in the handle and de-burring the feet on guides.
I am not sure where you live, but occasionally, in cities there is someone who puts on classes.
There are undoubtedly a number on this forum who build or have built and I am sure they will add to this.
Finally, be prepared for the satisfaction you will have, casting a rod you made yourself, finished just the way you want it and that the rod is unique to your tastes.