PDA

View Full Version : Tucker Lake

gilbertslake
01-28-2012, 10:57 PM
Went to Tucker today with my son. Only fished a couple hours, but had great action. Hooked up with 12+ pike. Kept one each, 80cm and 78cm.

Ice was 30 inches+ where we were on north side of lake. Lots of people out.

Levy
01-29-2012, 02:04 PM
Define lots? The lake has been producing the same amount, and size of pike IMO for the past ten years and i have never seen more than 15 vehicles on the lake. The pike could get thinned out and bit and maybe let the perch numbers pick up.

gilbertslake
01-29-2012, 04:53 PM
Define lots? The lake has been producing the same amount, and size of pike IMO for the past ten years and i have never seen more than 15 vehicles on the lake. The pike could get thinned out and bit and maybe let the perch numbers pick up.

As requested -Definition:
Lots - pronoun-large number or amount
noun - a group or set
verb - a division of an object or land

For yesterday, I would apply either the noun or pronoun definition.

We counted 14 vehicles plus ours. One group had a a bunch of kids and they were running around, one had a small quad.
As a lake restricted to 63cm plus and smaller pike for the most, it definitely would take along time for perch to recover

Levy
01-29-2012, 05:16 PM
lol thanks for the info. I haven't caught a fish over 85cm in there but lots right around 63cm and like you say most smaller than 63 cm.

gilbertslake
01-29-2012, 05:40 PM
lol thanks for the info. I haven't caught a fish over 85cm in there but lots right around 63cm and like you say most smaller than 63 cm.

Yep, we had 3 decent fish over 70cm and kept the 78 and 80cm. Others were all in the 60-65cm range.

But there was a lot of action yesterday in the time we were there, at least we were hitting a lot of fish,there were a couple near us who didn't seem to get anything. But that's not unusual, out of the 4 holes we drilled, only 2 were producing. For every hook-up we probably had one other that took the bait and wasn't hooked. Only reason we finished early was that my dog decided to help himself to the smelts.

My son and I are going to fly fish for pike there this summer and see what we can get in terms of pike size. The shallow weedy area on the east side of the lake looks like it may be productive spot.

pickrel pat
01-30-2012, 01:44 PM
lots right around 63cm

please define lots.

Levy
01-30-2012, 04:20 PM
please define lots.

Not sure if trolling.... but i would say around 80% of the buggers i catch are around 60 - 65 cm. As for numbers ice fishing... i have had a few times where i have caught similar numbers to gilbertslake but don't recall hauling two over 75 cm home. (ice fishing that is)

Yep, we had 3 decent fish over 70cm and kept the 78 and 80cm. Others were all in the 60-65cm range.

But there was a lot of action yesterday in the time we were there, at least we were hitting a lot of fish,there were a couple near us who didn't seem to get anything. But that's not unusual, out of the 4 holes we drilled, only 2 were producing. For every hook-up we probably had one other that took the bait and wasn't hooked. Only reason we finished early was that my dog decided to help himself to the smelts.

My son and I are going to fly fish for pike there this summer and see what we can get in terms of pike size. The shallow weedy area on the east side of the lake looks like it may be productive spot.

That sounds like a blast. I caught my first pike on a fly rod at wolf this summer and the fight was awesome, tucker would a great spot to test the fly rod out with pike.

We do very well in the east end of the lake fishing with red and white lures before the lily pads grow to the surface. I saw some youtube videos of guys using mouse flies on lily pads and i think im going to give that a try this summer.

gilbertslake
01-30-2012, 04:49 PM
Not sure if trolling.... but i would say around 80% of the buggers i catch are around 60 - 65 cm. As for numbers ice fishing... i have had a few times where i have caught similar numbers to gilbertslake but don't recall hauling two over 75 cm home. (ice fishing that is)

That sounds like a blast. I caught my first pike on a fly rod at wolf this summer and the fight was awesome, tucker would a great spot to test the fly rod out with pike.

We do very well in the east end of the lake fishing with red and white lures before the lily pads grow to the surface. I saw some youtube videos of guys using mouse flies on lily pads and i think im going to give that a try this summer.

My son caught pike last year, but I have never used fly for pike, only lures. Despite fly fishing for nearly 50 years, for some reason, I never thought of using the fly. But this year we are going to give it a lot of effort.

I have about 2 dozen pike flies ready to go and will be tying more over the next few weeks. I have some mouse flies on hand that I used to use for big brookies and Lake trout late in the evening when they cruise in the shallows.

I think we landed lucky with the two decent pike, as I mentioned the others were all smaller. On the previous weekend, there was only one keeper out of 7
caught.

ivegonefishing
01-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Had the same luck you had on Sunday. It was overcast and we need the sun for better fishing on Tucker. Tried a fly for the first time last year on Tucker and am looking forward to fly fishing for them this year. Pm me, Gillbertslake, and perhaps we could Tag Team them.:fighting0030: