PDA

View Full Version : Peiroway Method

Dust1n
01-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Has Anyone Tested this Rod? Im thinking its time to upgrade my fly fishing setup for our movie series and maybe theres something in my liking more then the TFO.
Thanks

Albertafisher
01-29-2012, 08:53 AM
St.Croix makes amazing rods, I would go for it instead of Peiroway.

SalmoTrutta
01-29-2012, 09:04 AM
let's make it into a rod argument instead of helping the guy out with his question.

:fighting0074:

never fished one but have heard good things about them, I;ve cast the Metal Detector and it felt great.

Albertafisher
01-29-2012, 09:13 AM
let's make it into a rod argument instead of helping the guy out with his question.

never fished one but have heard good things about them, I;ve cast the Metal Detector and it felt great.

Not trying to start a rod argument what so ever, I'm just telling him my opinion and giving him a cheaper solution. But I guess everyone on the forum is on edge about quarrels. The irony is that you've started a small conflict by bringing up arguments hahah, so congrats.

SalmoTrutta
01-29-2012, 09:31 AM
Not trying to start a rod argument what so ever, I'm just telling him my opinion and giving him a cheaper solution. But I guess everyone on the forum is on edge about quarrels. The irony is that you've started a small conflict by bringing up arguments hahah, so congrats.

not on edge at all, just keeping on subject. I doubt any St. Croix rod provides a cheaper alternative to the Method.

Pieroway makes great rods, proudly Canadian

If your around Calgary Fish Hunter, check out the Expo, I'm sure the boys from Pieroway will let you take one for a spin.

FishingFrenzy
01-29-2012, 09:31 AM

How in any way, is that starting an argument. The OP stated he's not sure what to get, maybe peiroway will be a better rod for him than TFO, Albertafisher provided another option. Whats the big deal....??

To the OP, Whats your price range? Lately I've heard some good things about Redington rods, for the price that is.

Albertafisher
01-29-2012, 09:38 AM
not on edge at all, just keeping on subject. I doubt any St. Croix rod provides a cheaper alternative to the Method.

If your around Calgary Fish Hunter, check out the Expo, I'm sure the boys from Pieroway will let you take one for a spin.

Yeah I have, I took the metal detector spey for a go and I really like how it shot the skagit head, but 500 bucks for a rod is out of my price range. So I bought the Echo 2hand solo, which feels about the same (Maybe a bit softer).

And alright, sorry about my assumptions. :rolleye2:

Dust1n
01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
i liked TFO because the warranty was fast and based out by Calgary and the same with Peiroway. Price range is about $300

Albertafisher
01-29-2012, 09:54 AM
i liked TFO because the warranty was fast and based out by Calgary and the same with Peiroway. Price range is about $300

I would recommend this rod; St.Croix Imperial (http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/imperial-fly)
I have it and it works amazingly. Just my 2 cents.

Dust1n
01-29-2012, 09:57 AM
I would recommend this rod; St.Croix Imperial (http://www.stcroixrods.com/product/imperial-fly)
I have it and it works amazingly. Just my 2 cents.

Have you had any issues with it?

jeprli
01-29-2012, 01:52 PM

You mean proudly assembled in canada from asian parts. St. Croix makes two offerings below $150.

For $300 there is lots to chose from but it all depends what you want to do with it.

SalmoTrutta
01-29-2012, 01:59 PM
You mean proudly assembled in canada from asian parts. St. Croix makes two offerings below $150.

For $300 there is lots to chose from but it all depends what you want to do with it.

better than assembled in the US from Asian parts.. lol

and for 300 there are better choices than the Method .. but that's what he was asking about.

Albertafisher
01-29-2012, 07:14 PM
Have you had any issues with it?

I did have one break once, from the tip (and my rod is a 4 piece), but that was a defect that isn't common at all. I got the tip replaced and I haven't had problems since. I've even caught some monsters this summer on it and its held up great!

The Fish King
01-29-2012, 07:26 PM
The echo rods are fantastic and have an absolutely great warranty. Sent two rods in and they promptly sent back a brand new rod both times with no questions asked. The last time they even sent me their upgraded model as mine was discontinued.
I also have a redington and a st.croix and will pick up the echo first anyday.

Albertafisher
01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
The echo rods are fantastic and have an absolutely great warranty. Sent two rods in and they promptly sent back a brand new rod both times with no questions asked. The last time they even sent me their upgraded model as mine was discontinued.
I also have a redington and a st.croix and will pick up the echo first anyday.

I just bought an Echo, looking forward to using it!

Dust1n
01-29-2012, 09:48 PM
Josh let me cast every model echo makes and i like them alot they can cast accurate and theyre cheap. it just might be the next rod i get.
Im thinking between the method of the carbon.
The Echo3 is what i recommend if you got $350
It has lots of back bone to make far casts

commieboy
01-29-2012, 10:36 PM

I really hate seeing this. Do you honestly think for a single minute that most of the top manufacturers aren't using parts made in Asian countries? If so, look into the labelling laws in the U.S. you'll quickly find out that "Made in the USA" isn't exactly what it seems it is.

I'm not trying to start a fight. I just hate that people always associate Asia (and similarly other countries outside of North America or Europe) with being crap. How many people on this forum drive Dodge? I'll bet a high percentage. How many know that many of Dodge's most popular vehicles have an engine built buy the Asian company Mitsubishi? My Dodge Colt lasted me 24 years!

Would you consider Sony crap? Toyota? Honda? You may not prefer these brands, but you can't call them crap. The computer you're using right now to view this is likely made up of 90% Asian components. Why not toss it in the garbage?

Again, I don't want to fight. I'm just trying to give a bigger picture of the matter at hand.

Fish Hunter 7:

to get back on topic, I have tried the Pieroway (notice that it is spelled pIEroway... spelling matters. Especially when it comes to a proper name.) Method and think it's quite nice. I'm still really impressed with my TFO BVK. Lots of power, good control, craftsmanship isn't too bad, warranty rocks. You'll definitely be getting better quality control from Pieroway, and probably an equally good warranty. But I think the Method is not quite in the same league as the BVK.

Someone mentioned Echo. Nice rods for sure. Tough for me to decide what my next rod will be, but it will likely be another BVK, the Pieroway Tactical or the Echo 3.

In addition to my BVK, I have a Winston VSL, and I frequently borrow a friend's Sage VXP. I like my BVK much more than either of these rods and I think the Echo and the Pieroway are both more to my liking.

BGSH
01-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Wow like dancing clowns, help FH7 with his original question, get back on topic dudes.

gilbertslake
01-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Josh let me cast every model echo makes and i like them alot they can cast accurate and theyre cheap. it just might be the next rod i get.
Im thinking between the method of the carbon.
The Echo3 is what i recommend if you got $350
It has lots of back bone to make far casts

My feelings on this is, if you have tried rods and like them, then go ahead and buy one. I find that everyone has opinion on what is best, because it is their personal taste. Whether or not the blank is an import or domestic, likely doesn't mean a hoot, as they are either built to the same taper or not. Yes many manufacturers are buying off-shore blanks because they can keep the price down.
I am not averse to using a rod from a cheaper blank if it feels right to me. I fish predominantly Scott rods, but I also have Redingtons I like and they are made off-shore.
For years I struggled with SAGE rods thinking that was what I needed because everyone said so. Once I tried Scotts, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. so the SAGE rods were sold off.
I am currently building on Fly-Logic blanks and they are great rods for the money and I am not sure if they are built off-shore or not and to be honest, I don't care as long as they work the way I want them. And I have built on Batson blanks, American Angler Blanks, SAGE blanks, Hardy blanks and Loomis blanks and all performed well.
I am weary of the snobbery that creeps into fly-fishing and the opinions that are borne out of too much research and not enough experimenting or hands on experience.
I don't give a hoot if someone knows I am fishing with a rod made from a $50 blank, while they have a $1,000 SAGE. The fish don't know what I am fishing with and really don't care.
Anyhow lad go with your gut feelings, if you have cast these and like them, then they are most likely what you need. The days of me forking out 100% more for a rod for a 2% gain in performance are well behind me. I depend more on my knowledge of the river, where the fish are lying and proper tactics these days. And I have been fly-fishing for almost 50 years.
I am reminded of the book by Calvin Saunders, a former guide on the Gander River who used to guide for Lee Wullf. He said Wulff was a great caster, could throw out a long line and always waded up to his chest in water. The only trouble was he was always casting over the fish and way beyond the taking zone
Minor rant over........
Over and out.

Dust1n
01-29-2012, 10:50 PM
I have never seen or even touched a method but i do want to get my foot in the door with a peiroway rod. The website has one picture of it but its only the reel seat and i would like to see the rod as a whole.

Dust1n
01-29-2012, 11:01 PM
If anyone has pictures of the pieroway method could you please post them or PM me.
Thanks

npauls
01-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Have you checked out the wind warrior series from Amundson?

Dust1n
01-29-2012, 11:43 PM
iv casted them npauls and i don't really like them. its a great rod for a indacater for fall whitefish but other then that its not my style. BTW i checked out the admunson booth and they didn't have the silver in.

npauls
01-30-2012, 12:36 AM
I was told that the new line up of gear should be hear in a week or 2.

I have a couple new rods and reels that are in that shipment also.

I will let you know as soon as I find out when the local shops should be getting the new gear.

Which series of wind warrior have you tossed?

There is 3 or 4 different wind warrior models available now that are all suited for different stuff.

I have a wind warrior still water series rod on the way.

Dust1n
01-30-2012, 12:42 AM
yeah the lady there was kinda puzzled too when i asked for the silver series she hasn't heard of it either but she did show me that new black reel.
Hes got the admunson stillwater 5wt with a trend

npauls
01-30-2012, 12:56 AM
Which model did she show you?

I can't wait to fire some bugs out on the water with my 5wt stillwater matched up with the diablo cassette reel.

My other rod is the 3/4wt. dual tip midge rod and I matched it up with a river rockers reel.

I have the 2012 catalog in front of me right now and it says that the silver gang reel is new for this season. comes in 2/4, 5/6, 7/8, and 9/10. The retail price looks to be $109 - $149 depending what size you get.

The rocky mountain fly reel looks pretty decent to and comes in 5/6 and 7/8. It is all black and retails for $79.99 and $87.99

Dust1n
01-30-2012, 01:13 AM
Im not a fan of there rods but theyre reels dont look to bad.
they had quite a few reels there im not sure what the exact ones are thought

Albertafisher
01-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Im not a fan of there rods but theyre reels dont look to bad.
they had quite a few reels there im not sure what the exact ones are thought

I own an Amundson Wind Warrior spey reel, and I've heard for Amundson you need to buy the higher end reels for them to be good. I like my reel (It was $275). A lot of people say that the lower level reels are absolute junk.

ÜberFly
01-30-2012, 01:23 PM
Canadian... Well, yes, but (his) their rods & reels are still made in Asia...

My opinion is that there are better rods for the $... But you you know what they say about opinions...

P

P.S. I have the same opinion on Admunson, as well! in addition, they need a lot of proding to get them to honor their warrantee!!

not on edge at all, just keeping on subject. I Pieroway makes great rods, proudly Canadian

SalmoTrutta
01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Don't know much about about Amundson but checked out the reels they had on display at the show, first impression was they had some bigger reels that seems much too light for the size. By looking at the drags they seemed pretty smooth but hard to tell quality on a closed system. just what I noticed from checking them out.

commieboy
01-30-2012, 01:42 PM
Don't know much about about Amundson but checked out the reels they had on display at the show, first impression was they had some bigger reels that seems much too light for the size. By looking at the drags they seemed pretty smooth but hard to tell quality on a closed system. just what I noticed from checking them out.

I've had some problem with freespooling on my Amundson Trend. It warns about this in the instructions and says to make sure to keep the drag set to the lowest point when the reel is not in use. I have still had it happen a couple of times. I also notice that it happens if it's cold out. Still, never lost a fish because of the reel,so for the most part, I'm happy with it.

Given time, I'm sure Amundson will fix some kinks in their product line, assuming they respond to customer input.

SalmoTrutta
01-30-2012, 01:59 PM
Canadian... Well, yes, but (his) their rods & reels are still made in Asia...

My opinion is that there are better rods for the $... But you you know what they say about opinions...

P

P.S. I have the same opinion on Admunson, as well! in addition, they need a lot of proding to get them to honor their warrantee!!

there is not a company out there that does not import rods or components out of Korea in some capacity, In most cases the blanks come from the same manufacturer. less expensive rods (this including ones made by the big boys) are all Korean, that's the only way they can offer a lifetime warranty on an inexpensive stick. The higher end rods MADE on this side of the world are not quite as generic and have more a specific action. combine that with the increased cost of production is what drives costs up.

This does not mean you can;t spend alot of money on a rod made of Korean components.

If you like it, fish it, who cares where it's made.

npauls
01-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I will forward this information about Amundson products to head office and let them know what people think about everything.

Rumtan
01-30-2012, 04:08 PM
Does anyone know which the actual companies are who make the blanks (rods with nothing else on them)? I dont think there are too many. Bamboo is making a comeback.....just a thought.

gilbertslake
01-30-2012, 05:11 PM
Does anyone know which the actual companies are who make the blanks (rods with nothing else on them)? I dont think there are too many. Bamboo is making a comeback.....just a thought.

Most of the higher end blanks are made by the rod manufacturers themselves in the US. I think St Croix is still making most of it's blanks in US, but I wouldn't be surprised if the have some imported.
The one thing I know is that if the US major brands are using imported blanks, the quality of the blanks have to meet the standards required by the company that will be marketing them.
I have absolutely no concerns about using imported blanks. Many perform as well as some more expensive blanks.
What drives the cost of a lot of high end rods is research development and branding. Over time, you will see many of the tapers and designs being used by high end manufacturers being re-labelled and sold as a cheaper line once new tapers, materials and construction techniques are further refined.
A classic example is Loomis' IM6 and IM7 tapers which were taken up by many other makers of blanks. IM6 and IM7 were state of the art when they came out in the 90's but today they are used in a lot of offshore blanks and perform just like the originals.
I think bamboo rods will always be filling the needs of those who like how they perform.I don't believe it right to say they are making a comeback, they never really went away. I started out in the 1960's using bamboo and fiberglass rods
Although I no longer own any fiberglass rods, I still own and use bamboo rods and am about to build another one on a Partridge of Redditch blank.

SalmoTrutta
01-30-2012, 05:35 PM
A classic example is Loomis' IM6 and IM7 tapers which were taken up by many other makers of blanks. IM6 and IM7 were state of the art when they came out in the 90's but today they are used in a lot of offshore blanks and perform just like the originals.

IM is a rating or the strength of the fibers used to build the graphite, I believe its Intermediate Modulus and there are plenty others. and its not an industry standard so take it with a grain of salt. I believe it was a name come up with by a chemical company like Dupont or whoever made the Graphite. Loomis may have been the first to stamp it on their rods, that im not sure of, but it has nothing to do with the taper, its a rating of the material.

gilbertslake
01-30-2012, 07:20 PM
IM is a rating or the strength of the fibers used to build the graphite, I believe its Intermediate Modulus and there are plenty others. and its not an industry standard so take it with a grain of salt. I believe it was a name come up with by a chemical company like Dupont or whoever made the Graphite. Loomis may have been the first to stamp it on their rods, that im not sure of, but it has nothing to do with the taper, its a rating of the material.

The name was what was used by Hexcel Corp as a an identifier as their product modulus. e.g IM6 is 36,000 modulus. Loomis were the first to use the designation on their rods with thanks to Hexcel. Loomis built using IM6, IM7 and IM8 using their own tapers, Hexcel didn't design tapers as far as I know, others followed after using these designations and tapers. and you are right, IM does mean intermediate modulus.

I remember talking to Loren Greene, formerly of Loomis Canada back in the mid 90's and he said that Loomis had got the right to use Hexcel's IM designations on the rods (bear in mind that Hexcel would have held the right to it). However, by saying they are using IM6 or IM7 it impliess they certainly are meeting the same modulous (strains) for the graphite. Loomis went offshore as Frontier and continued building blanks with the original Loomis tapers.

Taper does come into this as it will determine the eventual flex rating of the rod. Taper depends on modulus and how the graphite is built on the mandril. by adding or removing thickness of the scrim of a material of a particular modulus at different points on the mandril, a taper is built, so determining flex. So, the two are very much connected.
At least, this is how it has been explained to me.

Just to add, scrim on most rods these days is sanded down so the rod has a smooth finish.There are those who feel the scrim should be left as is. Some manufacturers did leave the scrim un-sanded, but eventually relented and sanded. I think all manufacturers now are using the helical scrim construction except possibly diamondback who use a bi-directional scrim (they used to call it cross scrim). I recently finished building a 9ft 10wt 2pc for my son on a Diamondback cross scrim blank I had from the late 1990's and never got around to building until now as we are looking at higher line weights for pike. Beautiful looking blank with the cross scrim construction.

Kingfisher
01-31-2012, 03:41 AM
I did a short article on modulous ratings. Here is a snipit from that article.

There are no industry standard for IM6, IM7and IM8. Rather, it is a “range” that manufacturers use to classify their rods according to the “modulus” content.

You can read the whole article here at this link. http://www.flyfishingtechniques.co/2010/11/custom-fly-rods-graphite-modulus-ratings/

Rob

SNAPFisher
01-31-2012, 05:27 AM
FishHunter, I have one. Absolutely freakin love it. Mine is a 9ft - 4 piece. I used it exclusively all last year and really in some tough situations.

If your thinking if I know rods or not, I really put rods to the test. My 1 year record so far is 5 broken rods. Last year was a bit slow with only 2 broken rods. I.e. I go through them like tissue paper.

So, if it can survive me, you got a winner! :)

P.S. FishHunter, sorry for the off topic stuff you got to weed through.

To the rest of some of the people that posted about starting arguments and asian rod parts, grow the <beep> up!!! You really think anyone wants to hear your off topic dribble. Do us a favor, delete your account before the mods get to you, and, go away for good. Thanks in advance for complying.

SalmoTrutta
01-31-2012, 09:08 AM
FishHunter, I have one. Absolutely freakin love it. Mine is a 9ft - 4 piece. I used it exclusively all last year and really in some tough situations.

If your thinking if I know rods or not, I really put rods to the test. My 1 year record so far is 5 broken rods. Last year was a bit slow with only 2 broken rods. I.e. I go through them like tissue paper.

To the rest of some of the people that posted about starting arguments and asian rod parts, grow the <beep> up!!! You really think anyone wants to hear your off topic dribble. Do us a favor, delete your account before the mods get to you, and, go away for good. Thanks in advance for complying.

sorry if not everyone can be as great as you and your pile of broken rods. All posts wander and there's still valuable info in everyone's "dribble". Why not tell FH7 what weight it is? how its casts? what line & reel you run on it? provide a picture as he asked for? I love it, I destroy a lot of rods, blah blah blah is great on topic info. :thinking-006:

lannie
01-31-2012, 09:33 AM

Where do your rods break ? Why do they break ?

Bhflyfisher
01-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Fish hunter, if you're in the 300 dollar range, wait a while, fishing isnt for another couple of months really, and once you hit the 400$ you can find Zaxis on sale for that much, because they are discontinued, but still easily my favorite rod of the bunch by far.

Hell i watched a zaxis 11' 6wt switch go for 250. :mad3: With 300 dollars, you can get one hell of a nice rod if you wait.

I had the imperial as my first rod, and love it, its been passed to my cousin and we continually stress it with pinks on vancouver island. Love that rod still, and have a 9wt in it.

Can even get a brand new winston VSL for 319.

I casted the loop xact which is in your price range at the WFFCE and its a cannon. In a five wt and i was shooting the entire pond on one haul.

All that being said, my next rod is going to be a p"IE"roway metal detector 400, and a sage one in a 6wt.

fish gunner
01-31-2012, 10:05 AM
maybe a 6 wt on tarpon, hes challenging him self or a 4 wt on pike.

commieboy
01-31-2012, 10:58 AM
400$ you can find Zaxis on sale for that much, because they are discontinued, but still easily my favorite rod of the bunch by far.

I agree with with this, but I think I heard that only the 2 piece rods are being discontinued. And even if the 4 pieces are on sale, selection is really limited right now.

Can even get a brand new winston VSL for 319.

I like my VSL quite a bit. I like my TFO BVK MUCH better. Or at least, much better in most situations I find myself in. I prefer my BVK on the bow, and shore fishing lakes. I'll take the VSL for smaller rivers or drifting in a lake.

Bhflyfisher
01-31-2012, 11:06 AM
Nope, all Zaxis are being discontinued. Replaced by the one. Picked up a 9wt 10ft zaxis 4 piece for 400 all in at wholesale sports the other day.

I have heard plenty of mixed reviews about the BVK, few actually hate them, and personally i love my buddies VSL, and have had no issues with my BIIX, which i have in a 4wt and 7/8 spey. Customer service is fantastic. But i personally wouldnt go TFO. Just not my kind of rod, i find them too "clunky".

But hey just my opinion.

commieboy
01-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Nope, all Zaxis are being discontinued. Replaced by the one. Picked up a 9wt 10ft zaxis 4 piece for 400 all in at wholesale sports the other day.

I have heard plenty of mixed reviews about the BVK, few actually hate them, and personally i love my buddies VSL, and have had no issues with my BIIX, which i have in a 4wt and 7/8 spey. Customer service is fantastic. But i personally wouldnt go TFO. Just not my kind of rod, i find them too "clunky".

But hey just my opinion.

Yup, totally makes sense. Everyone has a preference which will suit their style. Still, sometimes I wonder if half the opposition to TFO stems from the negative association towards earlier product and the company when it was in its start up phase. I do think things like that can affect the way people view a product/company many years removed from the initial impression. I know it happens to me quite a bit.

Back to the Pieroway.... I do like the look and idea (Calgary made!!!!) behind these rods, but found them a bit heavy in the 5, 6 and 7 weights. For me, it matters due to my job and a day of casting can really take it's toll on my arms. Maybe I just need to beef up a bit.

commieboy
01-31-2012, 12:59 PM
Hey Fish Hunter,

have you considered doing a rod building course?

I know at one point Pieroway offered a course, but I don't know if that's still happening. I emailed them about wether or not there would be a schedule for 2012 but got no reply so I'm not sure what's going on there.

I think it would be really interesting to make your own rod. And the satisfaction of catching fish on it... very cool!

Daceminnow
01-31-2012, 01:02 PM
I know at one point Pieroway offered a course, but I don't know if that's still happening. I emailed them about wether or not there would be a schedule for 2012 but got no reply

i'll find this out for you commie and get back to you. it interests me as well.

Dace

Bhflyfisher
01-31-2012, 02:00 PM
I have a buddy who used to do a lot of business through pieroway. He completely got rid of everything he had by them because of issues with them. Not worth publicly slandering them. The only reason i would ever buy the metal detector is because demo-ing it with my casting style really hits the "sweet spot" completely match with it. Otherwise, i wouldn't do much business, which is why I wont be buying a brand new rod, i'd rather get it from someone who just wants to get his couple hundred bucks back.

Sorry a bit off topic. Theres so many options in that 300$ range, Just dont leave out the used rods!!!

ÜberFly
01-31-2012, 02:14 PM
And they don't treat their prostaff very well!!

I have a buddy who used to do a lot of business through pieroway. He completely got rid of everything he had by them because of issues with them.

Bhflyfisher
01-31-2012, 02:15 PM
Yeup, along with that. Even at their booth at the show, the guy who seemed like he was running it was snobby. Not really willing to move anything, and no deals on anything. Still bought a hat unfortunately.... cause i really did feel bad for the guy getting Sh*t from him, the employee was super nice to deal with and i can never have enough hats, but the man in charge was a bit of a donkey

Again sorry. Back to topic.

bobbypetrolia
01-31-2012, 02:40 PM
And they don't treat their prostaff very well!!

I have been following this thread to see where it goes as I am interested in what others are saying about Pieroway. If anyone has any questions about any Pieroway rods in any of the series (M, E, & T or MetalD's) drop me a PM. I will do my best to answer them and even try and get one in your hands to test for yourself.
As far as this comment goes; care to elaborate? Just curious as to what you are basing this opinion on. If it is something you have heard, I know 1st hand this is not true. I am trying to understand the reason for this post, but I think I know. I guess some people are here to just stir the pot.

Bhflyfisher
01-31-2012, 02:50 PM
Not here to stir the pot, along with my buddy, Uberfly also has apparently experienced issues. I have been asked not to pass along the experience of my friend. But there had to be something done to make him completely get rid of his equipment, and wasn't the first one i have seen get rid their equipment.

Proof of this can be seen on ffc for sale threads.

ÜberFly
01-31-2012, 02:52 PM
Well unless the person that told me this (a former Prostaff) was lying to me... But since I know this person personally, I have no reason to doubt it... Then again this was a while ago so maybe things have changed (lets hope so!)

I have been following this thread to see where it goes as I am interested in what others are saying about Pieroway. If anyone has any questions about any Pieroway rods in any of the series (M, E, & T or MetalD's) drop me a PM. I will do my best to answer them and even try and get one in your hands to test for yourself.
As far as this comment goes; care to elaborate? Just curious as to what you are basing this opinion on. If it is something you have heard, I know 1st hand this is not true. I am trying to understand the reason for this post, but I think I know. I guess some people are here to just stir the pot.

ÜberFly
01-31-2012, 02:55 PM
Totally my expereince as well!! I was looking for 3 wt a few years ago, and "the guy" (I won;t mention his name) was trying to sell me a 6 wt!! 3 times I clarified myself as to what I was looking for and 3 times he tried to sell me a 6 wt!! Didn't listen to a word I said!! If you don;t make a 3 wt tell me that, that way you don;t look like an overly aggressive car salesmen!! Sales 101, listen to your customer(s)!! I guess in my book, you get one chance to make a good impression, plus with all the other stuff I wouldn't recommend them - which is my opinion...

[QUOTE=Bhflyfisher;1282369]Yeup, along with that. Even at their booth at the show, the guy who seemed like he was running it was snobby. QUOTE]

bobbypetrolia
01-31-2012, 02:56 PM
Not here to stir the pot, along with myself, Uberfly also has apparently experienced issues. I have been asked not to pass along the experience of my friend. But there had to be something done to make him completely get rid of his equipment, and wasn't the first one i have seen get rid their equipment.

Proof of this can be seen on ffc for sale threads.

I completely agree.....There WAS something done to make 'him' get rid of all his Pieroway equipment and affiliation.....It had nothing to do with the quality of Pieroway rods, or the customer service of Pieroway Rods either. If he is really a friend of yours, ask him what happened. If you dont get an answer, I can give you one.

commieboy
01-31-2012, 03:00 PM
I am trying to understand the reason for this post, but I think I know. I guess some people are here to just stir the pot.

Or maybe some people have just had negative experiences. It happens. I was disconcerted that I never received a reply to my email, but the guy at the expo that I dealt with was really nice and very helpful. So, I have had experiences both positive and negative.

Now, someone mentioned buying second hand. The only reason I'm wary of this is the warranty issue. Otherwise, yeah... a really great option!

Bhflyfisher
01-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Well, it depends on some companies, i have bought a used sage rod, broken it, and sent sage an email, asking for help and how much it would cost, but they replaced the broken section for nothing. Sometimes people even have the original warranty card, still blank from not being sent in. Either way its always good to get a proof of purchase. Just in case something comes up. If a company is not willing to stand behind their products even if they change hands (to an extent) I don't feel that its good business. Customer Service is key for me in buying a brand of rod.

But to the pieroway issue there is always two sides to a story.

But i think if anything else needs to be said, it should be through pm, without ruining anyone's reputation and keeping this thread on track. Getting carried away again.

Sorry FH7,

bobbypetrolia
01-31-2012, 03:13 PM
Well, it depends on some companies, i have bought a used sage rod, broken it, and sent sage an email, asking for help and how much it would cost, but they replaced the broken section for nothing. Sometimes people even have the original warranty card, still blank from not being sent in. Either way its always good to get a proof of purchase. Just in case something comes up. If a company is not willing to stand behind their products even if they change hands (to an extent) I don't feel that its good business. Customer Service is key for me in buying a brand of rod.

But to the pieroway issue there is always two sides to a story.

But i think if anything else needs to be said, it should be through pm, without ruining anyone's reputation and keeping this thread on track. Getting carried away again.

Sorry FH7,

Agree 100%
FH7, if you have any questions about the Method (M-series); or E-series, or T-series rods drop me a line. I will try and get one in your hands so you can test 'er for yourself.

SNAPFisher
01-31-2012, 04:23 PM
sorry if not everyone can be as great as you and your pile of broken rods. All posts wander and there's still valuable info in everyone's "dribble". Why not tell FH7 what weight it is? how its casts? what line & reel you run on it? provide a picture as he asked for? I love it, I destroy a lot of rods, blah blah blah is great on topic info. :thinking-006:

I'll find a place to stick my broken rods if you don't mind your Ps and Qs.

I am PMing the information with pics to FishHunter. Clearly someone like you doesn't give a rats, you know what, about anything constructive so I don't have any need to provide you with anything.

You also misunderstood, no shock there, about breaking rods. I pretty much think I am a moron for doing it so often. Call it a bit of bad luck too. Most of them are TFO because I use them the most. From what I can tell, pretty poor rods from TFO. Hope things improve in that realm. As for when the break, some were definately my problem. Lots were likely to do a flaw - fighting a fish, breaking on the first time the rod is bent, all kinds of weird stuff that should not happen, but it does.

FishHunter, talk with you soon. Cheers!

Tofinofish
05-01-2012, 09:42 PM
We are now the first Dealer on Vancouver Island for Pieroway Rods. The feedback I have heard to date is all positive from people who have fished the Rods, dealt with the Company, and Technical Gear Junkies (I have three on staff) who give the Rods two Thumbs up!!

I am impressed with the quality for the price point, and will be getting a 6 wt bent on some Trout and Steelhead on Friday..
I can't comment on how the Method fishes yet, but we will be primarily dealing with the Tactical and Element Series. The Tactical Series is a sweet fast action for our heavy tips in the Saltwaater and River situations on the coast.

I hope to update our reviews on my sponsors page soon.

J.

pipercub17
05-01-2012, 10:50 PM
i have cast a few pieroway rods and own 2 of them
i like them so much now that i am building a 7wt on one of there blanks

tight line
05-02-2012, 07:21 AM
TFO Lefty 5-6wt 4 piece, solid rod had it for years....have several others. landed some big fish w/ it, even landed a 8lb steelhead on it...lol

Tofinofish
05-02-2012, 07:47 AM
TFO Lefty 5-6wt 4 piece, solid rod had it for years....have several others. landed some big fish w/ it, even landed a 8lb steelhead on it...lol

Tight Line, We agree this is a great model as well. We sell TFO with very few coming back through the door. TFO has been quick to send replacement pieces to help us keep customers happy. Between these two companies in Calgary and one in the Vancouver area that offers a various rods with lower price points and no questions asked replacement warranty, we have great Canadian suppliers to work with....

tight line
05-02-2012, 08:37 AM
ya im definately for supporting the Canadian companies! Keep it Local. Dont care where the rods are manufactured. Certain rods just have that feel to them when you pick them up...lol