PDA

View Full Version : ice tents

wallycranker
01-30-2012, 06:08 PM
Ok time for a new ice tent. have had a frabill headquarters and clam 6 man. Both did not last long. Looking at a eskimo 6 man and a woods 6 man. I fish 30 to 40 times a year on the ice. Need something that will hold up. Either sewing comes apart or zippers brake. Or poles fall apart. Anyone got any good reviews regarding other tents on the market.

Woody_16
01-30-2012, 06:50 PM
This is off-topic, sorry.

How many people can actually fish comfortably in a 6 man tent? Are they like camping tents where a 3-4 man actually sleeps 2?

pechetr
01-30-2012, 06:56 PM
I can tell you that the eskimo Fat Fish series is sold out throughout North America. The Fat fish 1416 is a 6 man and is still available at a lot of locations. I just picked up a 3 man from Wholesale sports (their brand by woods) last weekend. I used it this weekend and all was fine. Will keep you up to date as to durability. Was definitely a great price though. I had the Frabill frontier last and I had no issues with it.

wallycranker
01-30-2012, 07:00 PM
[QUOTE=Woody_16;1281178]This is off-topic, sorry.

How many people can actually fish comfortably in a 6 man tent? Are they like camping tents where a 3-4 man actually sleeps 2?[/QU

wallycranker
01-30-2012, 07:06 PM
I can tell you that the eskimo Fat Fish series is sold out throughout North America. The Fat fish 1416 is a 6 man and is still available at a lot of locations. I just picked up a 3 man from Wholesale sports (their brand by woods) last weekend. I used it this weekend and all was fine. Will keep you up to date as to durability. Was definitely a great price though. I had the Frabill frontier last and I had no issues with it.

Ya ive been eyeing up the eskimo quick fish 6. Wondering how people are making out with it, especialy with the southern fisherman always fishing in the wind.

wallycranker
01-30-2012, 07:07 PM
This is off-topic, sorry.

How many people can actually fish comfortably in a 6 man tent? Are they like camping tents where a 3-4 man actually sleeps 2?

Yep a 6 man ice tent is good for about 3 people.

Rumtan
01-31-2012, 05:16 AM
I have a 3 man tent and its really only good for 2 people comfortably.....my buddy has the 6 man and really its only good for 4 maybe 5 at the most. That being said, the 6 man is easier to fish from but harder to heat.

jts1
01-31-2012, 05:41 AM
My fatfish is a 4 man but is perfect set up with only two. Have had 3 in it but that was its limit if you want to stay comfortable

shayne
01-31-2012, 08:17 AM
I run the Eskimo 6 and have been very happy, especially after going through 2 Frabill in one season. Fits 3 comfortable, 2 even more comfortable with lots of room. Hubs and poles are solid, heavy zippers, fabric could be thicker but it works. Goes up and comes down easy, big bag so fits away nicely first time, in the dark, -20 and blowing snow. Anchors screw in easily and haven't ripped any eyes out yet. A good wind will collapse the hubs so anchor lines are needed from the hub straps.

davegrant
01-31-2012, 09:05 AM
The Eskimo Fatfish tents have a problem with the poles this year, replaced 2 already before Christmas. The little aluminum rivets at end of pole are not welded enough causing them to slide in and out (pole keeps falling out of base when folded)
Exchanged for the woods @ Wholesale Sports no problems in 5 trips.

Geezle
02-01-2012, 08:31 AM
I know it's not the size you're looking for, but I've got an Eskimo QuickFish 3 that's held up pretty well. The grommets tore through, but I just tied rags on to the hub straps to keep them from pulling through and though it's not super pretty it is functional. Keeping in mind of course that I absolutely have 100+ trips out with this tent since last January, and she's seen a lot of chit and abuse since then.

Don't see how you could go wrong with the Eskimo.

Of course the Woods tents seem *nearly* identical so that probably wouldn't be a terrible option either :)

davegrant
02-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Had the FATFISH 949. Maybe just had some bad luck.