PDA

View Full Version : newell hot spots

big TEX
02-21-2008, 09:09 PM
just got a fishing shack, sounds like newell is the best lake to break it in on. lots of nice pics of big fish from there

wonder if anyone could tell me a good spot to try?.... without giving away any secrets of course.

thanx guys

crudedude
02-21-2008, 09:48 PM
Try fishing on the south end of the lake at Rainer Draw.Its a bay about 8ft deep lots of big pike there.Use herring on a tip up and hang on.Good luck.Pm me if you need directions.:)

lippy
02-23-2008, 09:31 AM
just got a fishing shack, sounds like newell is the best lake to break it in on. lots of nice pics of big fish from there

wonder if anyone could tell me a good spot to try?.... without giving away any secrets of course.

thanx guys

Tex,
There are 2 draws named Rainier at the south end of Newell "BIG" and "little"
both produce fish at given times. "BIG" Rainier is the more popular one and is the closest to Highway 36..hope that helps.

packhuntr
02-23-2008, 10:21 AM
The easiest way into the big rainier is to go south on the 36 from Brooks. Hang a left {east} at the Oasis store/gas station. Go about 2 miles {give or take} on the gravel, keep your eyes open for a trail heading off across the prairie to the North. Once on it, its abit of a jaunt to the lake, but you will come directly to the south side of that draw. The draw runs in a north east, south westerly direction. Try up at the mouth, but anywhere can be good. You will start to see pre-spawn hens in there pretty quick, so hold on if you go. Please release our big spawners...... Check out google earth, and you will have an idea as to what it all looks like before taking a run at er. Be careful driving around on this south/south west side of the lake, but anywhere for that matter....I can show you spots that right now will have litterally no ice, and there is absolutely no indication of this. And i dont know many.......(2 to be exact). Check ice depths constantly if your gonna drive it. Good luck!!

keep a strain on er.

packhuntr
02-23-2008, 11:00 AM
If you get a map showing depths, you might make out better doing your own thing. That is one of afew spots that are traditionally fished by local folks. It does see its fair share of pressure, thats for sure......There are quite afew spots on that lake that nobody knows about {for the most part} that can be tough to find, but definately are traditional big fish holding spots. To look at the lake, youd think its a featureless, structureless pond, and youd be right, but there is some good structure. Its just tough to find without a boat in summer. In these reservoirs it doesnt take much to be structure. It can be amazing what you will find on something small that most natural feature filled lake anglers will overlook.

keep a strain on er.

big TEX
02-25-2008, 02:55 PM
thanx for all the info guys

didn't get a chance to make it out last weekend but will definatley be there sunday. especialy now that i have all this good info.

thanks again

bye

fisher5
03-13-2008, 08:22 PM
I am taking my son for catch and release pike. Should I be driving on? Quadding. If I folow the paths will I be OK. My little buddy is hooked on Pike and hopefully we can jump on em.

packhuntr
03-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Shoreline is already getting beat up with the warm. There is open shoreline in some spots. I havent seen the lake in the past couple days, so tough to say what the shore condition will be by the weekend. I know guys have already got their permanent shacks off (for the most part). Wish i could give you more than that. Im praying the ice holds out long enough so i can get one more crack at those whitefish when i go on days off next weekend....Could be tough. Shore line could be gone, but a 12 foot aluminum or a long plank will get you onto the ice if its getting that bad by the time you make it out. A small boat is easier to haul though!! Dont know if you would want to put a machine on or not. Just depends on the ice i guess. Id be pretty wary if i were you. There was lots of healthy ice last weekend, approx 36 inches, lots for sure, but she can change in an awful hurry. Ive had my truck on good to ok ice in the morning durring last ice, and at noon, the ice was completely honeycombed with bubbles rising all the way through. The lake went from ok, to DARK blue and scary in afew hours. I had a long ride back from my whitefish island at an idle with both doors open to keep her topside if she went through. Its nasty when there isnt any cracking and you are going across approx 1 mile of slush.......Never again. My heart cant handle it. Those last ice whites are a hoot though!!!

keep a strain on er.

fisher5
03-13-2008, 09:56 PM
My dad was old school and I remember being towed out twice because the ice gave way. I wont do that to my boy though. The heart gets pumping when taking the chances on ice. Should a guy fish rainier or up near Newell development at the inlet areas.