PDA

View Full Version : Deer Cull Angers Ranchers: Edm Sun

getasheep
02-21-2008, 09:11 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/Alberta/2008/02/21/4866901.html

Fish & Wildlife shoot scores to curb disease

By DANIEL MACISAAC, SUN MEDIA

A pile of slaughtered deer is seen just north of Dilberry Lake, near Chauvin, Alberta in this photo taken Tuesday. (Supplied photo in link)
Ron Tizzard had to see it for himself – an eight-metre deep pit filled with the headless bodies of scores of freshly slaughtered deer.
“There was a pit that they’d got that was supposed to be just the bones and carcasses going in,” he told Sun Media today of the pit near Chauvin, 260 km southeast of Edmonton. “And there are some animals in there that are just the heads cut off, and the rest just thrown in.”

A bison rancher, Tizzard is one of many people living around Provost, just south of Chauvin, outraged at the nature and the scale of the cull being conducted in a bid to stop the spread of chronic wasting disease (CWD) from Saskatchewan.

Tizzard as well as businessmen and members of the Alberta Fish and Game Association offer a number of complaints about the way the cull is conducted, including that it targets more animals than necessary, upsets the natural balance, threatens tourism, spooks livestock and, by involving strategies like Fish and Wildlife staff shooting from a helicopter, resembles poaching.

“I’ve hunted all my life, and that’s why it disturbs me so bad,” said the 61-year-old. “This hunting area will never be the same; I know it won’t.”

Even though questions remain about the effects of CWD, Dave Ealey, a spokesman for Sustainable Resource Development, argues the province’s efforts to curb it are science-based. He says the numbers targeted – the complete eradication of deer within a 10 km-circle where CWD is discovered – and the methods used are necessary.

“This is not a hunt, let me make that clear. This is a cull,” he said. “This is disease management.”

But while Ealey says deer numbers are high, he said it’s also difficult to track the numbers that are culled.

And he conceded that as those culling efforts intensify, the amount of healthy meat donated to Friendship Centres, food banks, communities and families has decreased proportionally.

And that’s a waste, according to people like Battle River-Wainwright Conservative MLA Doug Griffiths, who locals credit with helping block extension of the cull to include an ecological reserve north of Metiskow.

“The challenge the department has is it’s hard to pull all of those elements together,” he said. “But I’d like to see them apply more effort and ensure all of the animal is used, and that area residents are utilized better and we have enhanced populations to keep the herd healthy.”

7 REM MAG
02-21-2008, 10:39 PM
did anyone happen to catch what page its one in the sun i cant seem to find it

Chuck_Wagon
02-22-2008, 04:45 PM
Perhaps if these same ranchers allowed more people to hunt on their land there wouldn’t be an over population of deer that threaten the spread of CWD. You can bet your last dollar that if these same ranchers had CWD discovered in their bison/cattle herds and they all had to be put down and buried they would be screaming at SRD for not doing anything about the influx of CWD

2 Tollers
02-22-2008, 05:29 PM
did anyone happen to catch what page its one in the sun i cant seem to find it

Page 2 top of page.

Justanotherbuck2
02-22-2008, 05:30 PM
Its hard to beleive, that intelligent people would make a decision to cull animals in this method and then dispose of carcasses so carelessly. If you remove all the deer in a area that only offers a migration oportunity of neighboring deer. And perhaps in a few years CWD may be an even larger problem by opening the area for other deer herds to come in. I'm not a biologist but this and last years cull seems to be a knee jerk reaction to a few cases. How bout free year round hunting Alberta residences with a mandatory reporting system. Just wondering why something like this was not tried instead of spending likely millions of tax payers dollars.

300 wsm
02-22-2008, 05:43 PM
this is absolute garbage really ****es me off honestly just plain dumb

winged1
02-22-2008, 07:30 PM
migration oportunity of neighboring deer.

That makes a lot of sense, just like a fire stop prevents the spread of fire.

bruteforce1
02-22-2008, 10:13 PM
some of the animals had there heads cut off? isn't that how they determine if the animals have CWD? What are they just taking the horned animals and what are they doing with them. Why aren't all the heads removed. Stelmach should be pressured on the issue. Why his employees are wasting a resource?:mad3: This whole situation stinks I'm not sure anyone understands it. The states tried culling and it did not work levels have stayed the same and nomore culling has taken place.

gunslinger
02-23-2008, 06:32 AM
if there going to do a cull , then why cant the meat be used from these animals.

packhuntr
02-23-2008, 07:12 AM
Justanotherbuck2..... You want to speak of intelligence, or mabey a lack there-of. Would you really have them open the season wide open , year round???? That would create issues in itself. Do you want to see people hunting these animals while they are trying to winter???? What when these open country animals are aborting young, and they are drove off winter range?? They winter in certain areas for good and very obvious reasons. What of shooting them while they are raising young of the year??? That would be the single most silly thing anyone has concieved since the conception and implementation of conservation and wildlife management.

keep a strain on er.

shedcrazy
02-23-2008, 07:30 AM
It is hard to tell from the photo that was posted but I can give some of the info I know from past culls.

We must remember that is one ranchers opinion (game rancher)..I know many in the area that want more deer shot. I also don't agree with some of the statements the SRD spokesman stated.

All heads are taken (I do not see any heads in that photo)...

Most of what I see is waste products from any butcher shop: hides, guts, bones and scrap meat.

They do the best to recover the meat from every deer...When you harvest this late in the year you can get unhealthy deer, you can get deer that have diseases or medical issues (tumours, injuries, etc) and you get always get deer that aren't shot properly (gut shot, spine (spinal fluid on meat), etc...). Those deer are not used due to the fact they are going to a food bank source just like any other food bank program.
Many tags are re-issued every hunting season for sick or diseased animals.

I do know that they got took the meat from over 1250 deer from the 1400 deer from last years cull.

As for a waste...The meat is going to the food bank, needy families, first nations and anyone applying for substance tags in the area.
I know I had some photos of the deer that hunters left on some of the property that I hunt and I am sure hunters as a group would not be wanted to be judged from it.

The real issue for me is the pit. Since there are many unknowns with CWD, I would have liked to see more detail to the waste. Depending on what you read it should be incinerated or at least buried in a covered clay liner pit.

As for migration....deer migrate due to seasonal demands not voids. They move from Sask to AB due to habitat (winter and summer ranges)..they are the same deer. If you doubt this theory...Buy a section of land and shoot every deer in it for three years....Then see if if you have deer in it due to the void without changing your land practises. If the void theory worked would we not share that favorite area more???????

gunman300
02-23-2008, 08:55 AM
Still seems wasteful to me.

winged1
02-23-2008, 10:21 AM
The only way the 'void' doesn't fill in is when animal numbers are critically low, translating into, the void must be maintained. Who's program is this anyway?, and once initiated, you can't cut back finiances or yield to public pressure, because the boundries close in. It's kind of like the invasion of Iraq.

BEL
02-23-2008, 07:51 PM
You did a good job in explaining things. I would like to add one more thing as to why some deer are not used for food. The deer are not gutted till they are brought back to the center. If they have been out for more than 4 hours the meat is not used because some diseases, worms, etc get worse and because it goes to food banks it is deemed unfit. BEL

Justanotherbuck2
02-25-2008, 03:46 PM
Hi Packhunter, well of course an open season is a better answer! The meat would be used, mandatory registration of all culled animals,sportsmen out participating in what they love at their own cost not on the backs of the taxes payer! Wintering issues and the unborn fetus is really a non issue since the purpose of the cull is total removal of the deer population. So YES a controlled year round free licence IS a better sollution and a better way to spend my tax dollar. Perhaps just like the Foothills deer tag you can't get one if you do not have in your possesion landowners permission for access. I'll bet you would find a few thousand honest hunters interested in a short time.

Warrior
02-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Are these animals actaully going to foodbanks etc? Who is doing all of the processing? Where is it all stored untill that particular animal has been "cleared for consumption"? It would take some pretty heffty freezers and logistics to keep every animal seperate to match the head that is sitting in a lab.

Another thought is that there must be a few yotes and birds feeding off that pile... Wouldn't they also spreading the disease through their droppings etc??

300 wsm
02-25-2008, 04:47 PM
i still totally disagree with this cull bs