PDA

View Full Version : Leaders Debate

Shrubs
02-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Well anyone have any thoughts on the debate last night. Any people going to change their vote? Did the debate make up anybodies mind on who they were going to vote for if you weren't sure before?

The Wildrose Alliance has had my vote for a while and the debate last night reinforced it. Personally I don't care which government wins the election as long as they are not Liberal or NDP. I couldn't imagine Kevin Taft or Brian Mason as premier but that's just me.

genek270
02-22-2008, 10:36 AM
I'm with you; Hinman presented the position that I think is necessary for continued growth; private enterprise. I like his idea (borrowed from Harper) to reduce government bureaucracy; decrease the size of government. He probably won't get in but will lay the groundwork for future elections.

209x50
02-22-2008, 10:56 AM
I wish he had someone running up here. I'm a card carrying PC but I'll be dammed if Mel Knight is getting my vote.

LongDraw
02-22-2008, 11:59 AM
It seems discussing policy is the last thing that Steady eddie wants to be doing. Maybe there was a tack on his chair?

209x50
02-22-2008, 12:59 PM
LD, I never watched all of it, once it broke down into the squabbling and shouting over one another I went downstairs and did handloading. If I wanted watch kids bicker I could watch old home movies of my boys.

LongDraw
02-22-2008, 02:02 PM
With all of what was said put aside, Stelmach is a hard guy to listen to compared to the others. He just seems out of his element to me.

ctd
02-22-2008, 02:18 PM
I was expecting more from the Wild Rose Party. They didnt seem to have a good opositition Conservs
The Libs and ND's seemed to have to much of a spend spend spend atttitude about them.
Lots of promises on what they want to do, lots of money to do it, but with no resources to do it with.

Stemach well he didnt impress me at all, but he did hold his ground.

dogpound
02-22-2008, 02:30 PM
As for any debate there is never a knock out punch by any candidate - but one interesting note if you were listening closely:

It appears the following parties showed up:

Wildrose Alliance Party
Liberal Light
Liberal Party
NDP

Never before has the evolution of the PC party from conservative to Left of center been so obvious. Hinman was the only guy that mentioned government is too big and tax cuts.

It appeared that Stelmach and Taft were trying to determine who was more liberal. Mr. Hinman certainly did distance himself from the other 3 parties. He is no orator or typical politician but I think he layed out the party positions very clearly.

The PC government is heading towards a minority win...and heres to hoping the Wildrose Alliance gets 4 to 9 seats to make it a "Conservative" Majority - this spendthrifty government needs a watchdog, a party with actual conservative values.

Disclaimer - I am a card carrying member of the Wildrose Alliance, actively running a campaign to elect Mr. Curt Engel in the Olds-Didsbury-Three Hills Riding

gopherslayer
02-22-2008, 03:45 PM
If I wanted watch kids bicker I could watch old home movies of my boys.

Or watch the house of commons for 5 minutes :lol:

TreeGuy
02-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Sigh. I'm a political junkie, but just could not watch more than 2 minutes of it. I kept flipping back and forth to the debate between Clinton-Omaba. The democrats seemed more conservative than the crap that I was watching, and at least they were civil and somewhat entertaining.

Thus far, I've had the libs knock my door. Told them that they wouldn't get my vote if my Mother was running. The encumbant PC hack woke my 2 year old up with a 9pm ring. Told him not this time as I only see or hear my backbencher's name every 4 years and she lives virtually up the street. The Green guy showed up and I asked him if he cared about the environment that much, would he dig the garbage out of my hedge? He left in a huff!:lol:

The only logical place for my vote to go is for the WA.

Personally, I'm hoping for a slight liberal minority win. Ed gets punted, libs can't screw things up too bad until the PCs can get their damn house in order. I've seen threads hijacked less than this party. Either way, that is the best possible scenario in my eyes. Ed will stay on even with a minority mandate.

Tree

bruceba
02-23-2008, 08:49 AM
The inability to become aroused by any of the candidates put forth by either party for the 2008 Election.

lakewalker
02-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Stelmach won't even come to his own ridings candidate forum!!!

I'm in his riding and this really shows to me he has no interest in the community that elected him.

I've been a PC since a teenager, and this really ticks me off...I'm going to call his office and complain.